8v digi to ABF conversion?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Michael8v, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That is an aftermarket immobilizer fitted by some dealers. This circuit is different to the engine control unit immobilizer that became european industry standard on later vehicles.

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

so does that mean I don't have an immobilised equiped ECU? or both? If it is just an aftermarket one then I can just plug the ecu and engine in no worries? (ie not worry with ignition barrell etc)

its a 97 on a P btw

3. Toyotec

You mean the engine is from a P plate 16v MK3? If so then it will have an immobilized ECU.
    If you remove all the bits from the doner vehicle spoken about above you should be able to reinstall without having to remove or modify any part of you vehicles electrics except to remove and replace the engine controls looms. It is actually easier than it sounds.

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

well I have the whole car still...

so just to clarify - The ecu is also immoblised (as well as the aftermarket thing) which is done on the key, so as long as I carry over the ignition barrel and key etc then the whole thing (engine + loom) will just plug and play.

And sorting the immobiliser must be easier than having to splice looms and create a hybrid of mk2/3 digi etc

5. Toyotec

No need to carry over the ignition barrel. Just the chip in the key and loop. This loop plugs into the immobilzer and the immobilizer connects to the ecu via the diagnostic line and tells the ecu the correct immobilzer/key combination is valid. Then after 5secs the vehicle will contine the run.

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

sweet, thanks for the info. So I'm now thinking that I can take the 8v out, take the loom and ecu out, plug the abf loom into the fuse box, connect up the abf ecu and immob. The only thing I would have to do is use the existing wiring for the clocks and incorporate into the abf loom