91' Mk2 ABF Digi GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jmsheahan, Oct 24, 2009.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Upgrade the gear linkage from plastic to metal if you can. Makes a world of difference.

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

Top stuff - looks mint after it's annual wash and wax, especially compared to how it was when you got it :thumbup:

Is it usually garaged unless it's in use? I find mine needs a wax every few weeks or so to stop the oxidation setting in [xx(]

Finally, how did you find the tailgate swap? I know mechanically it's straightforward, however I've always worried about the wiring and vac lines etc.. did you disconnect and pull these through first before removing the tailgate? Were they a swine to refit?

3. Willber Forum Member

Looks brilliant! Good work, the floormats are a nice touch I think I will get some for mine to replace the rubber ones :)

4. lewp91 Forum Member

well done mate, just read though this thread, and have to say it's not easy being a petrol head and student!
    im still at college (although im 20 i had a change in career paths) studying level3 motorsport ND going to uni next year, and ill be trying to do something very much like what you've been through with y Mk2 Scirocco :thumbup:

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Good to know Shaz, thanks. From a mk3?

Cheers Mike, looks a lot better than day one but the pics do flatter it slightly. It's garaged sometimes (well tented :lol:) but not all of the time. Oxidation is a real PITA on tornado - ideally it could do with a more regular session. The car could really do with a machine polish as I've gone as far as I can by hand. Expensive though at around 100 for a machine and a luxury I definitely can't afford at the moment. Do you use a machine polisher on yours?

The tailgate swap was a piece of cake. Took about 2 hours with a beer break in between :lol:. Yeah I started by disconnecting everything, then removing the rubber bung and pulling everything out slowly. The loom is all bundled together which makes life easier. For the refit I tied thin rope to them and just pulled them through carefully. Racking my memory but I don't recall any vac lines (all in the panel under the tailgate so one less thing to worry about). It was a lot less of a PITA than I thought it would be to be honest! Easy, just a methodical process and you'll obviously need a helper to hold the lid while you do up the bolts.

Few tips though - leave the hinges on the car and take out the bolts holding the tailgate to them instead of the ones in the roof of the car. Haynes book of lies says to faff about taking the headlining out. You really don't need to and it saves having to align the new tailgate. Also watch your hand/fingers when removing the wiper wash hose. It's a tight fit and when it eventually made a bid for freedom I sliced my hand quite deeply on the rough inner panel edges. Oh and order some new number plate lamps - the gaskets won't be coming off in one piece!

HTH.

You can get the mats from 'Silverwagen Direct Volkswagen parts' on eBay. Not particularly cheap but no decent mats are. Certainly a lot better than Halfords special.

Cheers. No it certainly isn't but if it you work it right it works out (ish!). If you are clever with your interest free student overdraft you can use it as a temp loan as and when something needs doing on the car and pay it off with part time work. Do have to make sacrifices to run a car as a student though! (less free time having to work a job, juggle uni work and of course a few less beers a week!). Depends where your priorities lie I guess.

At least you can do all the work yourself, good luck :thumbup:

Has been a productive few hours this afternoon. I've FINALLY got the VDO's wired and working so I can see what's going on in the engine bay. They've only been in there 2 years [:$]

Oil pressure sender
    [​IMG]

We have life!
    [​IMG]

Illuminated goodness! (wish the bulbs matched though)
    [​IMG]

Does anybody perhaps have 2 of the 'C' shape brackets that hold the gauge in place spare? I'll have to make some if not. Also fitted an uprated headlight loom but yet to see how much difference they make at night. If anyone has any decent bulb upgrades they can recommend please shout.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Aftermarket, TSR and missinglinkz are good. Think Hotgolf makes them too.

7. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Nice, but at 41 from TSR I'll have to give those a miss for now :lol:

8. lewp91 Forum Member

for aftermarket bulbs, sounds silly but in my old car (a mazda) i had an uprated loom and fitted halfords rally bulbs the h4's are 55w/135w and seriously bright if your new loom can take it so you want something similar ;)

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Worth while in the long run, if yours decides it's going to implode then go for the upgrade.

10. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

It's dead. Again!

Well it's dead. Again.

Been a while so thought I'd pop up a few updates.

It seems it's time to start yet another chapter in the engine department of the Mk2. For those that didn't see my tech thread, the 2.0 8v lasted a grand total of 1000 miles before ridding itself of any form of oil pressure and chewing itself to bits. Lovely. I'm not entirely sure what happened but I think the oil pump may have given up and starved my second rebuilt head of oil. Mk2's, don't you love them? :clap:[:x]

A small video of the delightful knocking noise:

[​IMG]

After a few weeks of being in two minds whether to burn it OR push it off of a cliff I have decided to go the route I should have to start with (much to the dismay of my long suffering GF, family, friends - you get the idea). Roll on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a chav chariot, sorry, '99 Ibiza Cupra 16v ABF and it's very very very yellow but was cheap! Best part of a years MOT so I'll be running this around for a while before it's murdered for it's parts. It's a big long in the tooth at 150k odd but has a FSH, a shed load or receipts, half leather interior and electric everything. It's faults - scruffy as anything, rust patches all over, faded paint etc, bonnet takes 2 people to open and oh the lock barrel came out in my hand earlier today.

So, the next chapter means the Golf is now a long term project and my proposed rational 'sensible daily' idea initially justfied to buy the mk2 has well and truly gone out of the window! This is now a long term project over the next year or two (depending on finances and time) with the engine conversion taking place in a small single garage.

Third time lucky with the engine? Russian Roulette? Who knows. But the next chapter will be 16v powered :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  11. kieranwebb Forum Member

Shame about the engine! was looking lovely mate! Will keep an eye on this :thumbup:

12. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks. I'm hoping this time the engine will last longer than 1000 miles:lol: Seems to a be a recurring theme seeing as it's had two replacement cylinder heads and a different block in the space of around a year! The 8v lump will definitely be coming apart though - I want to see what's gone wrong.

Found a couple of new editions to the Seat today - smells of fuel so I suspect a leak and some chimp has overtightened the sump plug meaning it's well and truly stuck. Shouldn't be allowed any bananas for a week [:x]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  13. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Decided to take the car off of the road early as the road tax ran out. I have covered around 500 miles in it over the past month and the engine seems good touch wood so I'm happy to transplant into the Golf.

I have to say it's been good fun to drive, absolutely loved the way the ABF delivers the power and how revvy it is. I think I may have to go for a lightened flywheel when it all comes apart to further emphasise this. Quite interesting to compare how the 8v and 16v deliver - the 2.0 8v felt like it had more go lower down but then the 16v sails past it in the higher rev ranges. Smitten with the 16v lump - sorry 8VAS :lol:[:$]

The 500 miles haven't been uneventful. The car pulled savagely to the left when I bought it and still did it after having the tracking reset. Shot discs and ditchfinder tyres made for an interesting driving experience! In addition to this whilst going round a roundabout the steering column decided to sheer itself from the pedalbox - brown trouser moment! As I've started to strip the car I'm pretty happy that it is now off of the road as the sills are completely rotten. The car has definitely had a replacement rear quarter at some point in it's life and perhaps crash damage would explain the terrible handling. How it passed it's last MOT I do not know. Those sill covers hide a lot! The back of the arches had 1.5 inches of compacted mud in.

Got quite a lot stripped in a day although not many pictures:

One normal looking Ibiza

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crap in the covers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rotten sill join

[​IMG]

Starting to strip the interior out (everything is practically removed now - excuse the terrible Iphone pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and how I left it a few hours ago - looking a tad more sorry for itself :lol::

[​IMG]

Hopefully get hold of an engine crane over the next couple of weeks and get the lump out and wiring loom. A long way off yet but I CAN NOT WAIT to get the mk2 back on the road.

If you need any beeza parts drop me a PM or check my ad in the classifieds :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  14. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Had a few days off this week so have spent a few hours in the garage to escape the mad nature of xmas.

It's been reasonably productive as the Seat is now pretty much a rolling shell. Everything has been removed from the interior, all exterior parts to be sold are removed, brakes are off etc. The only thing remaining is the engine and shifter cables.

Myself and a mate managed to get the engine loom out the other night. Have been a little nervous about this but it was liberated in one piece with relative ease and is now sitting in a box waiting to be sent to the electrical guru that is RJ. Only one loom remains into the bay which appears to be for the ABS system so not needed. Right pain that Seat tie the engine and lighting loom together but at least it's nicely wrapped for ease of removal.

Dash out to be left with this 'orrible load of wires

[​IMG]

Realised the issues I had with the pedal box must have happened before - it's clearly been re-welded and not to a great standard. Zip ties are a nice touch [xx(]

[​IMG]

The surplus left over

[​IMG]

Engine loom

[​IMG]

Most of the components on the engine look to be in reasonable condition although will need a new metal water pipe. Anyone know where to source one of these from? Did wonder if maybe the one from my 2E block will fit?

[​IMG]

The state of play as it is currently. Rolling on a nice miss match set of 14" and 15" spacesavers/Arosa alloys.

[​IMG]

Just need the crane to arrive and then it can go off to the scrapyard in the sky and can begin stripping the Mk2 down. Best thing is it now only owes me 50 too.

Happy Christmas :thumbup:

15. turnipmuncher Forum Member

The car is a MASSIVE improvement from when you originally purchased the mk2! VDO quote made me laugh. Mine have been sitting in the car for almost 2 years destined to be connected soon :lol:

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2e pipe will work but its not quite the same as the abf, the mounting holes dont line up. it wont go anywhere though. better to get a p[roper abf one though try tierod69 on ebay

17. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Your MK2 looks stunning, gotta love a red one :thumbup:

I loved the black Seibrings too earlier on in the thread, might look for a set for mine. :thumbup:

18. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

:lol:

Cheers for the heads up RJ. Unfortunately couldn't see one listed so might have to pay a visit to the dealer. Would like to avoid this if possible though as I imagine they are around 60+ from VW. Definitely need one though as now the current one has been disturbed it's literally disintegrating before my eyes.

Thanks. I liked the Sebrings too but I had to sell them. Went to a mate though so perhaps I can get them back again one day.

In the middle of disconnecting everything from the engine today I came across this. Looked it up in the book of lies and it mentions it's a 'carbon canister'. Anybody happen to know whether this is needed or can it be binned and blanked off? Quite rapidly filling the boot of the 'beeza with cr*p not needed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

abf pipe is 037 121 065 J, 41.08+VAT.

and ja thats the carbon canister, that and all the pipes to the throttle body can be binned. as can the 2 pin plug to the valve that is connected to it

20. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cracking, cheers RJ. Out of interest what is it's purpose?

Ouch, about 50 odd for the pipe then [xx(]