91' Mk2 ABF Digi GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jmsheahan, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It forms part of the evaporative emission controls and works to filter and collect vapour from the petrol tank, which under certain ECU controlled conditions can be introduced into the inlet system and burned by the engine.

This only works under part load conditions and will have no effect to WOT performance.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it recirculates petrol fumes from the tank back into the engine to be burned, the uk spec mk2 doesnt have this feature and theres no need to add it :)

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

As I have already said, the canister stores the fuel vapour from the fuel tank as it sloshes about in the tank. When the pressure of this vapour is built up in the canister, the ecu would estimate and open the purge solenoid to release the charge in part load conditions ( low manifold pressure) on a NASP engine.
    More vapour is created during warmer ambients as well as from the hot returned fuel.
    The reason why the UK and general export vehicles did not get this in MK2 vehicles was because we did not have the same evaporative emission requirements as main land Europe at the time.
    At full load this system becomes ineffective and is not used.
    Yes, for a vehicle conversion, like a MK1/2 Golf, that does not have a to pass type approval, the removal of this system would make no difference to performance.

HTH.

4. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks for the detailed info, good to know. Either way straight for the bin then.

Have been busy the past few weekends stripping the remaining salvageable parts for the conversion from the Ibiza. ABF is now out and the rest of the car is pretty much a carcus. Result.

A couple of queries have arisen whilst removing the engine, was wondering if anyone could shed any light as they are quick queries and don't really warrant their own thread:

- Rear engine bracket - which one to use? Mk2 or the ABF one?
    - Brake servo - I'm using the Ibiza master cylinder but do I need the Ibiza servo? Is the vacuum pipe that attaches from the servo to the inlet necessary? Had a quick look at the Mk2 in the dark and the servo looked smaller without the hole for the pipe.

As I say pretty happy the engine is now out. I managed to borrow a crane and with a mate hoisted the block and gearbox out the other week. All went nice and smoothly other than one manifold bolt (don't think the neighbours were too happy about me grinding it off at 9pm but I wanted to crack on :lol:) and two driveshaft bolts which were a complete SOD so removed them still attached the engine - will have to get an easy-out on them as they are rounded.

Prepped and ready:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoisted and nearly clear:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the fun begins, lots of cleaning to be done [xx(]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a lot left on the Seat now and the boot is rapidly filling with junk. Off to the breakers soon.

[​IMG]

Dukes of hazard style doors after I sold the hinges and door mechanisms :lol:

[​IMG]

Really need to get the loom removed from the Mk2 and get in the queue for RJ's wiring service.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. rubjonny

1. depends on which gearbox you use, and the subframe. 020 and 02a brackets differ, as does the engine mount style on the mk2/3 (ibiza has mk3 subframe)

2. keep your old servo, ibiza wont fit your pedal box

you'll need a different servo hose, mk2, corrado and passat 16v one will fit if the ibiza one wont. mk3 16v might do too not sure

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Will be using the 020 box and the mk2 subframe with a mk2 16v rear mount (one under the servo). It's the metal bracket I'm unsure of but I've yet to compare them side by side as the mk2 still has it's engine in - how do they differ?

If the Ibiza one is no good and if I use a mk2 servo hose will that be from the older KR 16v's?

7. rubjonny

use your old mk2 one then, abf one wont fit a mk2 mount and it'll be wrong for an 020 box anyway.

the difference is that mk2 one has 3 bolt holes, abf just 1. plus 020 and 02a move the engien position slightly so the engien brackets are also different between 020 and 02a cars.

any mk2 16v servo hose will do, they're all the same

8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks for the info.

9. big jonesy Forum Member

Jon there my g60 wheels and there going on my mk1 unless you buy me some image splits!!!!!

10. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

:lol:

Well at least they have gone to a good home eh :thumbup:

Managed to switch the cars about tonight. Fortunately my house is literally down the road from where the Ibiza is so with the help of a couple mates, some chemical metal, one massive bodge and a Polo convoy car we got the Seat down the hill. I WISH I had pics as it was a proper comedy sketch seeing the shell freewheel down the hill with my mate behind the wheel with a headtorch :lol:

Crap pic but celebratory shot of the Golf seeing the light of day for the first time in months. Fired up first time in all but boy do it's 8v's sound rough. Going to have to shift the garage around as it's a bit longer than the beeza and only just fits in the garage. Not much to look at but a major motivation boost. Now the real work can begin.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  11. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Small amount of updates but have been making steady progress over the past couple of weekends on the Golf. Main priority has been to get the engine loom out so it can be sent off to RJ. Fortunately that was liberated from the car tonight along with driveshafts and gear linkage being removed so a productive evening all in all.

Couple of weekends back I began to strip the Mk2 down. All fluids drained out, front end dismantled, plugs disconnected etc. One last shot of it in one piece before tearing it apart again[:^(]. Oh well onwards and upwards:

Up in the air on stands

[​IMG]

About an hour later all slam panel off, coolant drained, oil drained, power steering fluid drained, bumper off, lights disconnected.

[​IMG]

Whilst doing this the new inlet manifold showed up from tshirt2k (cheers Russ).

[​IMG]

Stripping and labelling everything on the engine loom - a bit nerve racking removing all of this as I'm not good with wires!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checked the 280 G60 brakes will clear my Ronal LS's - they do thankfully!

[​IMG]

Turned my attention to stripping down the ABF.

[​IMG]

First things first was to get it mobile. Knocked up a ghetto engine stand - not the sturdiest but will do the job! Skateboard anyone?

[​IMG]

Perfect fit and can be wheeled around with ease.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stripped the gearbox off. Looks as though the Ibiza may might have had a new clutch fairly recently as it looked rather clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately snow stopped play after that so took the bonnet off the Golf and called it a day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Misses was out so boshed the inlet in the dishwasher/parts washer, came up quite well!

[​IMG]

Few coats of high temp and bit of lettering detailing whilst watching Top Gear and it's freshened it up no end. Long way off of fitting this yet but one job off of the list.

[​IMG]

Hoping to get the 2.0 8v out the Mk2 tomorrow evening and then clean the bay up at the weekend. May even get a few coats of paint on the ABF with any luck.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  12. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Another milestone tonight. 8v is now out. Seems this is becoming a regular sight :lol:

Engine bay looks pretty straight and rust free (even the battery tray seems ok) but we will see at the weekend when it's all cleaned back and degreased which I didn't get chance to do last time the engine came out.

Rubbish iPhone pics but tonights progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I say a familiar sight from a few months back :lol:

[​IMG]

13. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Hey there - looks like a cracking effort this. Im sure all the hard work will pay off and it will be a tremendous machine!

I hope you dont mind me mentioning,you may feel its pedantic and probs just for the trial fitting to check brake clearance but i noticed you may be using the original radius seat VW wheel bolts with the ronals which are almost certainly designed to take tapered seat bolts. The VW bolts may not tighten properly and may damage the bolt seats in the wheels.

Cheers

Dan

14. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Hi Dan,

Cheers for flagging that up - erm....been using those which are indeed the standard VW ones for the past year or so and not had a problem, have seemed fine. I best look into that, many thanks for the heads up! Quick google and it seems I may have made a fundamental school boy error there [xx(]

15. rubjonny

ya ronals need tapered bolts, mate had em on his jade green abf mk2 that we built (the ed38 bike as its now known as)
    easy to get the bolts you need get down scrappy and nick em off a BMW, they use 17mm tapered bolts that are slightly longer than oem vw so perfect for most aftermarket wheels on a MK2 :thumbup:

16. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Every day is a school day eh! No damage to the wheels but glad it's been kindly pointed it out - visions of a wheel hooning off past the car (had that before after a hub failed on my old bug, not fun!)

Cheers RJ - any particular age of beemer or length of bolt? Will order some online if a scrapyard haul doesn't prove fruitful.

Something like this or this? Will have to get the tape measure out and check the stock ones.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  17. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

No probs at all mate - I bought some mim 1900 alloys in the past which someone had damaged by overtighening VW bolts into so didnt want to see you going down same route, or as you say worst case have one hoon by!.:thumbup:. Any of those above look like the right ones (e30 BMW and I think e36 would be right too). All the best with the rest of the build:thumbup:

Cheers

Dan

18. rubjonny

I found pretty much any bmw I looked at in scrappy had the right bolts, 4 or 5 stud. e30 definitely ok, you want 17mm head (only so the wheel brace fits though mind) M12x1.5, tapered seat and a bolt length of at least 23.5mm

19. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

Hi what you doing with the 8v could do with getting a engine back in mine sharpish?

20. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers chaps.

Welsh Wizard - shame to see you are selling up. The bottom end of the 8v is fubbard, hence the ABF swap, so not much good to you I'm afraid.