91' Mk2 ABF Digi GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jmsheahan, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Haha that would explain it then :lol:

Cheers will give it a google.

2. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Little more progress made this weekend and got the ABF into the Mk2. No pics but it feels a bit of a milestone. Ordered a lot of parts from the dealers on Saturday so progress will commence next weekend over the bank hols.

A couple of things that caught my attention, was wondering if anyone could shed any light on:

Power steering pump - I've left the ABF one on there at the moment. Will the Mk2 lines just plumb in or do I need to rob the ones from the Ibiza?

Thermostat - As I swapped the mk2's much newer waterpump over I left the mk2 stat in there. Noticed part numbers differ - do I need the ABF stat or is the mk2 one ok?

Crankshaft sensor - bought a new one of these as the current one has dodgy looking wiring. After removing the bolt do these just pull out? Seems to be pretty well in there and I don't want to break anything.

Cheers!

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep mk2 lines will screw right into abf pump.

abf stat is slightly cooler than std mk2, its your call on that one

yup just pulls out once allen bolt removed

4. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Awesome, cheers!

Sounds like the stat doesn't really matter then, will probably change it for what they cost though anyway.

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cracked on with making progress this weekend. Saturday was taken up with removing the last bits from the Ibiza. It's now completely stripped and ready to go the crusher. The thing is lethally rotton, pretty scary it had an MOT in all honesty. Both rear arches, both sills, both rear footwells, jacking points etc all completely shot. I had it jacked on one of the rear jacking points to get access to the beam bolts and the jack head disappeared through the floor! Just thankful I wasn't under it at the the time [xx(]

Anyway on with the Golf. Not too many pics as it's pretty standard stuff but took a few. Pieced together various parcels which arrived last week, one of which being from the dealers. Can't believe how much all of this cost but it's nice to be using genuine parts. Parts guy was helpful too.

- Mk4 header tank, cap and sender
    - Exhaust manifold bolts
    - Downpipe bolts
    - Exhaust studs
    - Rocker cover gasket set
    - Sump gasket
    - Sump plug
    - Spark plugs
    - Air filter
    - ABF themostat
    - ABF metal water pipe
    - Manifold gaskets
    - Driveshaft bolts
    - Crank sensor
    - Dizzy cap and rotor arm
    - Various water hoses (Dealers wanted 40 for one of them! Managed to grab a brand new genuine on eBay for 7 though)

and probably more than I've forgotten about. Wallet now substantially lighter! :lol: If anyone needs part numbers just let me know - some of them had been superseded from Vagcat references.

[​IMG]

The ABF is now in along with the polybushed subframe etc and went back in without a hitch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jacked the front of the engine up and swapped the crank sensor over. Had a bit of an 'oh sh*t' moment when half of the sensor snapped and remained in the block but fortunately I was able to carefully liberate it without it dropping into the block. Wiring was knackered on it and judging by how firmly it was in there I guess it's the original.

[​IMG]

Got the downpipe and exhaust manifold all bolted back up:

[​IMG]

As someone previous to me completely mangled the sump plug I decided to just drop the sump in one. Picked up another ABF sump on ebay for a fiver. No idea why people do these up so tightly!

[​IMG]

Even the one on the eBay sump was a little rounded but put a new one just to be sure:

[​IMG]

Cleaned up and ready to go back on:

[​IMG]

Everything back in situe. Had to remove the power steering pump, bracket and bellhousing cover to get all the sump bolts. Ratchet spanner was a god send on the two hidden at the gearbox end; combo of that with a hex piece held in it with tape got the buggers out. Also swapped over the stat for an ABF one.

[​IMG]

Mocked up the Mk4 header tank I want to use. Cheaper and has a better cap design. Should fit fairly easily onto the mk2 bracket, just need to trim in the plastic on the tank a little by the looks of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swapped over a new dizzy cap and mocked up the inlet manifold after fitting a new rocker cover gasket set. Will be leaving this off until the loom is fitted though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also mocked up a set of G60 front arches picked up for a reasonable price.

[​IMG]

Steady progress all in all but getting closer. Just a case of pluming in the cooling system and bolting up the driveshafts next then it's onto finishing the brakes with decent discs, pads and braided lines.

Would really like to set a deadline of GTI International or the Castle Coombe VAG trackday. We shall see!

That's all for now.

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

That engine looks so clean :thumbup:

Great work mate :thumbup:

7. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers Rich! Not quite moving at the same pace as you but getting there slowly.

Despite the hours put in the 'to-do' list only seems to be getting longer :lol:

8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Put a few more hours in on the car last weekend. Progress has halted the past few weeks with that annoying thing called life getting in the way. Still, payday today so booked a few extra days off for the bank holiday to try and blitz it - I aim to get the car as near as damn complete before the loom comes back from RJ.

Sunday consisted mainly of sorting the coolant system out. I replaced the oil cooler hose that had disintegrated before and fitted the amazingly expensive metal water pipe (45 effin quid with no pattern options available!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to be requiring a new plastic outlet for the front of the cylinder head I think or a new seal at the very least:

[​IMG]

Swapped over the spark plugs for Beru items and also fitted a new set of Quantum leads courtesy of G60 dub. The leads are also made by Beru so don't get mugged off with paying dealer prices.

[​IMG]

Bolted up the inlet with all new gaskets and bolts and popped the HT lead cowling on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Popped the old 2E 8v block on the trolley and wheeled it off down to chuck in the boot of the Ibiza. Myself and a mate did get a few weird looks walking down the hill with it :lol: Kind of sucks a bit to think that this time last year I was building this block up and now it's off to scrap. Still, onwards and upwards!

[​IMG]

Dooms day arrived for the Ibiza on Monday. There really wasn't a lot left on it when it went. Driver did a pretty good job of ninja'ing it onto the truck too considering it had minimal front running gear. The newest (and most rotton!) car I've ever owned...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Complete with stoved in doors from the rachet strap

[​IMG]

Back to the Golf I stumbled across a couple of things I'm unsure on - wondered if anyone could shed any light? (no doubt RJ will be first on the scene :lol:)

What does this breather on the fuel rail attach to?

[​IMG]

and regarding this vacuum line (which I think is for the MFA), where should it connect to?

[​IMG]

That's all for now, hopefully a bigger update weekend after next.

9. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Good work.

The vacuum line might go under the throttle, they do on a kjet

10. Admin Guest

Vac line from the FPR goes to TB. the other looks like the MFA take off? If so it would go from back of clocks to the vac valve on the vac line that runs from inlet to brake servo.

11. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers chaps.

12. rubjonny

vac line from fpr goes to the inlet manifold, not tb. theres an angled nipple on the driver side of it just in front of the tb. you can see it here:
    [​IMG]

I'm slightly worried though as in all the other pics of your manifold after powdercoating it seems to be missing?! could just be the pics tho. worst case you'll have to T off the brake servo hose. the connections on the throttle body both need to be capped off btw, and the nipple on the back of the inlet is for the ecu :thumbup:

the connector for your fuel rail goes under the 2 inlet manifold nuts on the passenger side btw, these 2 bottom right:
    [​IMG]

13. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Awesome, cheers RJ. VAGCAT seems to be down at the moment so haven't been able to check the diagrams.

Hopefully that angled nipple hasn't snapped off - I think it's just bad lighting. Will have a look at the weekend.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  14. rubjonny

yeah i think i can just about see it in one of the pics but its hard to tell

15. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Had a couple of days off work this week so a small update on progress. The list of things to be completed is getting smaller and it's a great that the car is starting to look more like a car again :)

First thing to do was to pick up oil, coolant and a new breather hose from the dealers. Part number is 037 103 231 C if anyone needs it. Old one was completely shot.

[​IMG]

These also arrived in the post. Ouch at the price tag but can't wait to fit them. Should make a nice upgrade.

[​IMG]

Nice bit of discount saw a set of Pagid 280mm discs being ordered from Eurocarparts.

[​IMG]

Old and new. Nothing wrong with the old 256mm setup but as Ibiza had 280's it would be rude not to.

[​IMG]

Despite being the factory colour the red of the Ibiza calipers was not my cuppa so stripped them down to be repainted. Resprayed them silver and currently drying for fitting tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Discs on and now using the correct bolts for the Ronals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turned my attention back to the engine and fitted a new seal to the water flange on the cylinder head and finishing off plumbing in the cooling system. Mk4 expansion tank now on and fitted pretty easily. Required a little trimming of the plastic on the side of the tank but near enough direct fit. Just need to figure out how to pop the electrical pins out of the Mk2 sender plug to refit into the Mk4 connector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slam panel bolted back on which felt like a big step for some reason :lol: Cleaned up a little surface rust around the headlights and gave it a lick of paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuel lines all connected up and vacuum hose from the FPR (nipple hadn't snapped off, it was just the pictures. Well hidden that, completely missed it when looking for what the line attached too).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After removing the end fixing from the P/S lines the mk2 ends fitted straight into the ABF pump (good spot RJ, you were dead right :thumbup:)

[​IMG]

Cleaned, sanded, prepped, primed and painted the rad surround. Took an age and I have no finger tips left from sanding but it came up pretty well.

[​IMG]

New 8v rad arrived. This has to be the biggest bargain of the whole project at just 28 delivered for a brand new Hella rad. 'Coolpartsuk' on Ebay - super quick delivery too. I've lost the link but cheers whoever posted it on here. Spot on.

[​IMG]

All bolted up and looking fresh [8D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handily one of the rubber bungs that came on the rad was the perfect size to block the larger intake on the throttle body.

[​IMG]

Fitted the lambda sender in. Could do with a new one of these I think but after seeing the price of them I'll be using this one for now. If it causes problems I'll replace at a later date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up an Ibiza airbox a while back to replace the sh*t induction kit my Ibiza came with so cleaned that up. Came up real nice after being through the dishwasher. GF didn't quite share my enthusiasm on opening the dishwasher to find caliper carriers, airbox and intake boot in it though :lol:

[​IMG]

Only thing I've found with it is it doesn't seem to fit into the Mk2 mountings. Will need to tie it down somehow. Handily the other bungs from the radiator fitted the airbox so blanked off the connector that was for the carbon canister.

Accelerator cable, speedo cable and clutch cable all connected up although I think the clutch cable may need adjustment. I can get all gears but first seems a little difficult to engage whilst the other gears seem easy to engage even without the clutch pressed. Hopefully just a niggle to iron out.

Lastly I need to figure out the top hose connection for the rad. The 8v one fits but seems a little long.

[​IMG]

And that's pretty much up to date for now. Very happy as it's the most complete the cars looked in months. Just the driveshafts left to connect up and brakes to finish off then it's ready for the engine loom to go in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  16. richard s Forum Member

when i put mine in i cut the top hose shortened it and then got a piece of plastic pipe from wickes and rejoined it with a couple of jubilee clips. i got it to fit nice but it was over 12 months ago and i have not got mine back on the road so i cannot say how it will hold up with use
    i was told a 16v top hose would fit but it doesnt as the 16v rad is thinner. you could alwys see if the rad will move across a bit as there seems to be lots of rad mounting holes in the carrier

17. big jonesy Forum Member

Looking awesome mate can't wait to go for a rip!

18. rubjonny

with the mk2 top hose what i do is flip it round to how it usually goes then cut the end down a bit so it fits nice. no need to cut it in the middle. how you have it there looks fine just cut it down slightly for a perfect fit. and as for rad link it was meeeeee! shame you didnt get one when i did was a whole 4 quid cheaper back then :lol:

oh and ive made a start on your loom so it looks like it'll be done just about when the rest of the car is :thumbup:

19. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers chaps.

Ah I see with the hose, thought that might be the case. It only needed about 0.5 - 1 inch cut off but didn't think about flipping it around.

Haha yes the rad is the bargain of the century :thumbup:

RJ - I noticed you're using an Ibiza/Toledo airbox on your mk2 - can I ask how it's mounted on the chassis leg? Does it use the Mk2 chassis leg mounting holes or is it just strapped down with the rubber bands? Awesome on the loom too, cheers :thumbup:

20. rubjonny

the ibiza one doesnt quite fit, only 1 of the legs pops into the leg. its held down by 2 rubber orings but they're a bit longer than the oem mk2 as the hooks on the airbox are a bit higher.

if you want a direct fit airbox you either get a seat toledo abf (good luck!) or use mk2/toledo spi or diesel airbox and find somewhere to stuff the inlet air temp sensor. on my mates abf we poked it in the hole round the front. if you use a mk2 digifant or 90spec 16v airbox lower half you can poke it in the warm air hole round the back. one thing i considered was cutting the temp sensor flange off an old coolant flange and glueing it to the side of the airbox as i had a diesel one to start with, but then i got ibiza abf so fitted that instead.

edit: i think the corrado vr6 airbox fits ok as well?