91' Mk2 ABF Digi GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jmsheahan, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Right I see, in that case I'll make it fit and strap it down then. I bought an Ibiza ABF box as I thought that would be direct fit, didn't realise the Toledo ones differed. I assume the additional hole on the rear of the box stays open? Mk2 digi box didn't have this.

Will need to extend the cold air feed into the mk2 plastic surround by the headlight but there's a few ingenious methods in this thread here

Cheers for the help.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

theres a connection on the side which is for a damper thing, i blocked it off (quantum synta silver oil cap fits perfect :lol:) then theres a warm air feed pipe on the back you can just leave it off, plus the inlet air temp sensor connection on rubber inlet pipe connection flange

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Good to know RJ, cheers. See what you mean about the synta cap just the job. I've blocked it with one of the bungs the rad came with for now though which also fits well.

Had a couple of weekends away from the car but picked up progress again today. Engine bay is now completely finished bar the engine loom. All the plumbing is done, lighting loom wrapped, cables connected up and brakes and lines are finished bar bleeding.

Fitted the 280 discs and goodridge braided lines. Only 4 fitted at the mo but will do the ones around the beam later in the year when it comes off for a refurb. I just kind of want to get the car on the road for the summer now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up some HEL stainless nipples:

[​IMG]

Whilst the rear of the car was up in the air I decided to whip the back bumper off to check for rot and to see if I could align it any better. Turns out the inner brackets are broken but I have a new bumper to go on at some point anyway. Really pleased to report none of the usual rot and its clean as a whistle.

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Sitting a little better:

[​IMG]

Also realigned the exhaust tips so they sat better:

[​IMG]

Decided to clean out around the filler cap. It's amazing how much **** can collect here. Fortunately all clean and rot free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the engine bay - sorted out the top rad hose and cut it down to fit:

[​IMG]

Had a bit of a mishap with the rewiring the coolant level sender wires. Needed to remove the pins from the Mk2 plug and refit into the Mk4 one. After 30 mins of trying to prise them out with various screwdrivers, hairclips etc I gave up and smashed the plug off :lol:. Unfortunately it STILL didn't want to give up its precious pins and one of the wires broke [:x]. After thinking sod this popped up the scrappy and robbed a mk4 of its sender with the pins already in place and a length of loom. Bit of a faff but at least I get the proper housing cover. Anyway all sorted:

[​IMG]

Just the loom to go now really, can't wait to get back behind the wheel. Only issue I have currently is the clutch cable. It's an auto adjust jobby and seems too loose. I can get all gears but 1st is a little tricky. Whats concerning is I can get all the gears even without the clutch down. I have a 1.3 manual cable kicking around somewhere, I may try that on it instead.

Right, beer'o'clock, that's all for now.

4. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Good work, I bet mine wont have made as much progress after 3 years.
    You need to swap your rear wheels round, your tyres are directional, the arrow shaped tread should run with the direction of travel.

Unless you normally reverse everwhere :lol:

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks - no I don't reverse everywhere :lol: I've just boshed the wheels on loose for the mo as they are all coming off again to bleed the brakes. Mix of the Ronals and space savers at the mo.

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Made a bit more progress over the bank hol weekend although progress was a little half arsed if I'm honest lol. Enthusiasm is waining slightly but picked up again when the loom arrived after RJ worked his magic on it. He's done a spot on job - all in place roughly but couldn't tape it up as ran out of loom tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite a lot of loom to stuff up into the scuttle

[​IMG]

Best routing I could see for the ECU vac line - this correct?

[​IMG]

Plugged the airflow sensor in on the airbox. Thought I'd lost this little bugger.

[​IMG]

I think I just pop the ABF transponder wire onto the column instead of the black collar already on there?

[​IMG]

Any tips on getting this to sit properly in the bulkhead appreciated. The biggest **** of a job I've done for a while, gave up for now lol

[​IMG]

Slowly but surely getting there - front end and lights back on, all connected up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully crack on with plugging the rest of loom in one evening this week.

7. rubjonny

ideally you want it so only the ecu loom junction is in the scuttle, the excess you need to tuck up behind the header tank. you might find you can go in thru the wiper hole? thats the trouble with the seat looms they are very different in the engine bay so its hard to make them fit properly without major surgery!

with the bulkhead grommets try a bit of silicone spray or something, then its just patience and harsh language lol dont use washing up liquid as it has salt in it which is bad for metal ;)

8. big jonesy Forum Member

i have some silcone spray if you need it buddy

9. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Time for an update! After spending the last 2-3 weeks trying to figure out why the car wouldn't start it finally fired into life last night :)

The first problem was a lack of fuel getting to the injectors. After stripping down the manifold etc again I realised muggins here had put the fuel hoses were on the wrong way around[:$]lol (note to other ABF conversions - fuel hoses are the opposite way around on the donor 16v to the mk2 8v). That saw fuel getting through and a glimmer of hope as it turned over. Unfortunately the factory immobilser kept cutting in despite using the correct chip/coil reader etc from the Seat. Few evenings spent getting to grips with VAGCOM and multiple different coil readers and chips from the scrappy and still no joy. Decided to give in and send the ECU off to Stealth Racing to defeat it. Came back yesterday and the car fired first time.

Have to say a massive thanks to Rubjonny for answering many a PM and general ABF advice, top chap :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Wired up the VDO senders

[​IMG]

Part numbers for the Audi sender in case anyone wants it

[​IMG]

Up and running :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front end near enough complete again now with bonnet, bumper, grille etc all back on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's running I have a few new problems to sort out but nothing too strenuous with any luck. Things to do:

Engine

Battery - for some reason my battery light is on permanently

Idle - Idle seems too low and won't idle unless I hold the revs up for around 5 seconds

Water temp sender - ABF sender seems to be reading too low for the Mk2 clock temp gauge

Fueling - Mixture smells very rich

ECU bracket - hack up the Seat bracket to fit the Mk2 and try and make it look neat

Brakes

Full check over of the system and a bleed

After a general tidy up putting trim back on etc it should be ready for a test drive then. Can't wait.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  10. rubjonny

with the battery the vdo seems to be just under 13v, i take it it wont go up when car is started? does it rise when revved?

the mixture and idle are probably symptoms of the above issue plus the fact its been sat so long, after its gone out for a good blast see how it is. coolant temp should be a single pin black sensor, so double check that. the abf does run a bit cooler than you are used to though as it uses a lower temp thermostat :thumbup:

11. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Not sure if it goes up when revved will check. I think it was pretty much static at that reading. The VDO pic was taken after the car had been running for 10 mins or so (was still running when I snapped the pic).

Good to know on the temp reading cheers, a fair point, I forgot about the ABF stat using a lower temp. Fan kicks in just after that first marker on the dash gauge.

Is the coolant temp sender on the side of the head? Can remember a white plug there but will have a look. Will have a scout about through the search on here. Need to find my Seat Haynes manual again, it's lost in the abyss of the garage somewhere lol

12. rubjonny

yarp on the side of the head, does sound like its under-reading definitely if fan is on and gauge only just out of the white zone

if car had been running for 10 mins and voltage still 12.8 then either your battery is awesome or the alternator is at least putting out some charge :)

13. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers had a look over the weekend and found the senders. Cleaned them up a bit but still under reading a fair bit. Instead of sitting at the middle 90 mark the dash water temp gauge sits on the first marker (70 ish I guess, the one after the cold white zone - pretty much where it is in the pic above). Is it worth getting a new sender or is it more to do with different ratings?

Phantom earth issue is now sorted and I've realised what I've done wrong with the battery light and blue alternator after taking a look at my mates mk3. Should be easy to rectify.

Only niggle after that to sort is the idle. It's a bit tricky going for a blast as I still haven't bled the brakes and it's not MOT'd etc. It'll sort of idle if I hold the throttle up for a bit but dies as soon as I touch the accelerator again.

I've left the ISV soaking in petrol to rule that out. Other than that I may be looking at the ECU temp on the side of the head perhaps. I've replaced all of the vacuum lines etc so there shouldn't be any airleaks.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  14. rubjonny

double check the thermostat is ok, run it from cold and feel the lower hose. it should stay stone cold till the gauge gets to roughly half way, if it gets warm almost straight away the stat is missing or stuck open.

check the oil temp too see what it says when gauge is sat at the first marker. oh and check they're the right senders, mfa oil temp is a white one, coolant temp should be black. if it doesnt look like a genuine one then replace.

for the ecu temp use the measuring blocks in vag-com, compare the coolant temp in there to what the dash/mfa says

15. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Pretty confident the stat is fine, lower hose stays cold for a fair while, it's only when the engine gets reasonably hot it opens so all seems ok there. Hard to say on the gauge reading though with the incorrect readings.

Oil gets up to around 80-90 indicated on the MFA, around the same on the VDO's.

Just to check: MFA temp (oil cooler) is white and genuine (came from the 8v lump). Coolant temp (side of head gearbox side, furthest back) is black (not sure if gen, will check). ECU temp (side of head gearbox side, one at the front, white plug).

Measuring blocks is new to me but cool will give it a look :thumbup:

16. rubjonny

yarp saounds fine, so mfa and vdo agree at 90ish, but gauge is still just out of white zone? if so, deffo sensor problem id say.

oh i forgot to mention, get the abf label files that will make the measuring blocks more readable. also as a bonus thread contains detailed info on checking the idle switch:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?199583

17. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Yeah, pretty much - where it is sat in this pic is where it stays. It does go slightly past that mark that it's sitting on which is when the fan kicks but no higher.

[​IMG]

Will peruse the linked thread.

18. rubjonny

ah no thats fine! i thought you mean it was only just out of the white zone. mine is exactly as yours is pretty much all the time, thanks to the slightly cooler thermostat :)

19. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Spot on ta :thumbup:

Just ran it up to temp for 20 mins or so and the gauge went a bit higher this eve. Boshed Vagcom on it and according to that the coolant temp settled around 90-94 degrees, fan kicking in when it hits 98 degrees. All of that was with an indicated oil temp 86 degrees on the MFA.

All senders on the car are genuine and it idles a little better when warm but sounds like it's missing. Revs nice and freely though :thumbup:

Forgot to take the deets of the linked thread with me but ran the measuring blocks on Vagcom - no idea what any of this means lol

[​IMG]

I'll rob the necessary 2 pin alternator plug from a mk3 somewhen this week so I can wire up the alternator properly and bleed the brakes at the weekend. As you say RJ probs needs a damn good thrash to blow the cobwebs out :thumbup:

20. rubjonny

2 temp ones there are coolant temp and inlet temp, so you know those are ok. showing good battery voltage, the other voltage is lambda i think? keep skipping thru and you'll find the throttle angle one which is good to look at, with engien off floor it then release make sure values read properly. from memory it should be 0 to 70degrees ish