97 octane for MOT?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Mr. Shhh, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Mr. Shhh Forum Member

Bit of a random question: I've got my MOT booked for next Monday. The car (MK2 GTi 8V Digifant) has never had any emissions problems whilst I've owned it, but I was just wondering if it's worth filling up with 97 RON instead of 95 RON for the MOT to get a cleaner burn? I've read somewhere that the digifant engine is set up to run on 97 anyway. Advice much appreciated as ever!

2. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

it'll make little or no difference, but yeah GTI's are meant to be run on at least 98RON, it says inside the filler cap ;)

3. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

just give the old girl a good thrashing on your way should be fine

i always run my motors on super:lol:

4. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

mine doesnt. states that 95 RON is fine. ive always been very sceptical about using V power and stuff. it makes little, if any difference imo.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

97 ron is only required on k-jet 8vs and 16vs, if they havent been tuned specifically to run on it. Modern cars use a knock sensor so they can retard the timing if need be, but k-jet will just pink itself to death!

6. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

what you mean "retard the timing"? today i actually filled up tank with v power, im not expecting any difference tbh.

7. rubjonny

Later engines with an ECU & knock sensor will advance the timing untill the knock sensor detects engine pinking or it reaches the max. advance allowed. Running lower octane fuel will mean the ECU cannot advance the timing as far :)

8. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

ah i see.... cheers man

9. Mr. Shhh Forum Member

Thanks for the advice, sounds like it will be a waste of money in my car!

10. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

there was a report in the scotsman yesterday, 'what?' magazine did a test on the fuels (ie normal tescos petrol vs v max/optimax nonsense) and what a surprize... there was no difference in economy or performance.
    in some cases they were able to squeeze more miles out of the supermarket petrol. unbelievable waste of money.

11. gtijames Forum Member

have to disagree mate my mk2 16v runs soo much better on super (97 ron) than std unleaded. it feels much flatter and doesnt rev as well on the std stuff. spose it vary's on the model

12. rallyeluke Forum Member

yeah definately agree with gtijames!

my gti 8v runs like a bag of nails on 95 ron fuel,

i normally run the 97 tesco super unleaded in my car. if im near bristol then i will always fill up on vmax fuel from shell.

my mums honda civic is supposed to run on 100 ron fuel, but they have filled it up with 95 fuel straight from the pumps for the 10 years they have owned it and without fail everytime you take it out for a drive and park it up its always pinking (must be an absolute mess inside)

there is a great test that was done by evo magazine on the benifits of higher octane fuel. cant find the link for it but if you do a google search you will find it no doubt, they proved that the higher octance fuel was better in all areas of performance over standard 95 ron.

cheers Lucas

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  13. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

hmm, fair enough, but im not convinced on newer models it makes much difference.

14. rallyeluke Forum Member

higher octane fuel means cleaner burn, cleaner burn means less wasted fuel, so more power from said fuel.

alot of modern performance cars are designed to only run on higher octane fuel, im pretty sure alot of the new evos are (google search time no doubt!)

everyone is entitled to there opinions though.

15. Gonz Forum Member

Interestingly ive noticed my mk3 8V GTI 2E engine runs a lot better on the Tesco 99.
    It just wants go on that stuff. Ive found a big differance between their normal unleaded and the 99 stuff.
    Ive tryed Shell optimax and to be honest the car didnt really feel any differant to the their normal unleaded.
    I can also get more mpg out of the Tesco stuff compared to the Shell stuff, and its a lot cheaper! Shell 135 / 140miles on 20, Tesco 150miles on 20
    Tescos always smells of more sulphur burning off though. Dont know if thats good or bad though?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  16. rubjonny

I've tried Esso/Shell/BP premium fuel but havn't noticed any difference to the Sainsburies 97 stuff, so I always use that. Not tried Tesco 99 yet, might have to give that a go one day :thumbup:

17. dylan5084 Forum Member

my mk2 8v digi runs alot better on the optimax and get more mpg...

18. SimonG Forum Member

Sainsbury's petrol is supplied by BP, that's why you don't feel any difference and it's cheaper. ;)

19. Gonz Forum Member

The Tesco 99 is definetly better for me. The cars a lot more lively than any other fuel ive used.
    If i go back to normal 95 car feels sluggish.
    Anyone know where the Tesco stuff comes from? I have read its sourced from Esso.
    I guess the base fuel is all the same just differant additives for each outlet.
    I do remember trying BP Ultimate once seemed a bit better as well, expensive though.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  20. -HellRaza- New Member

hey

well i only run my mk2 16v on v-power, i got desperate one day and stuck 10 of bp's 97ron super crap in the tank, and god it hated it! misfired, stalled on idle, massive decrease in performance.. got home, and then drove straight to shell, filled up with v-power and went on a fuel burning sprint over exmoor and its been perfect ever since.. vw weren't lying when they put the 98ron or above sticker in the fuel flap..!

alex