97 octane for MOT?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Mr. Shhh, Sep 24, 2007.

1. newkid

newkid Forum Member

has anyone ever tried the premium stuff in a carb'd car? I've considered it in my driver but am unsure on weather it would be worth it and/or how it would run on the stuff? good or bad?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yes, I was suggesting more that after filling up with ANY of the premium fuels I didnt notice any difference compared to sasbies 97, including optimax ;)

I put it in my driver but I don't recal if it made a difference or not, it certanly didnt make it run worse! To get the most out of 97ron fuel I'd tweak the ign timing a bit :thumbup:

3. prof Forum Addict

over a tank i get approx 40 miles more from 97 ron so 360 vs 320 miles

4. Silver!

Silver! Forum Member

Only put 95 in the GTi once when in the Lakes and that was only half a tank.

My 02 plate 1.0 Arosa is s'possed to run on 95RON but 'pinks' like crazy when going up motorway hills in 4th or 5th.

Put Tesco 99RON in and it stops complaining and seems to keep the rev's better even on hills.

Maybe I need to get the timing done when it gets it's next service, but the extra RONs really show they're worth in such a weedy engine.

Ray

5. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

i actually started using tescos 99 the other day and im pleasently surprized. think ill run it on this stuff for a while. im surprized too that its supermarket fuel yet of all the fuels on the market, its had the most noticable effect on the car.