"A" vr6 Yank MK2

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by afbiker02, Apr 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Wow that’s a long deployment :o:o:o:o

2. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah it is but hopefully one that gets me back to the UK or at the very least Europe

3. afbiker02

She’s coming home to England in 2020[:D][:D][l][l][l]

Sirguydo likes this.
  4. afbiker02

40CD5D63-CAA5-42FA-9B99-7A77F0146BA4.png
    My sister pick up my mk2 in Nebraska where it was being stored these last 8 months and trailered her back to her house in Virginia where she’ll be stored until I can ship it back to England next year.

5. afbiker02

So after sitting for 8 months in Nebraska with friends and not being started the entire time due to a flat battery, my sister drove to get her last month. See above picture. The interior was cover in fine dust and the carpet was damp...a window as left cracked though we don't know for how long. My brother in law and sister took all the carpet out and cleaned it up and cleaned all the dust out. Then my brother in law started to see if he could get it started. Turns out I didn't pay any attention when I bought my new battery last year but it only had 127 CCA and it's just not up to the job. After stealing the battery from my mk6 gti, their storing both my cars while I'm in Korea for a year, the mk2 fired right up. I was very relieved to hear that she runs, she just needs an oil change before she gets driven on a shake down to knock off the surface rust on the disk.

Toyotec and Sirguydo like this.
  6. afbiker02

Well 2020 has come and gone and my mk2 still hasn't come home. As most of you probably experienced, 2020 sucked and with that there are reasons why the mk2 didn't make here. The biggest issue for me is justifying paying to ship her back, especially since my family is getting bigger this year. The wife and I had a talk earlier this year and I decided it was time to let the mk2 go. So I made an add for my sister, who is currently storing the mk2, and she put it up for sale in Virginia. As part of my decision to sell my mk2 I was able to convince my wife to let me get a mk5 R32, which I bought in Oct...and then sold in December due to moving house and the petrol cost was just too much. But with the sale of the R32 and the fact the my sister hadn't had any luck selling the mk2...probably because she didn't really put in much effort, my wife said I might as well just keep it. She knows how much I love this mk2 and has said, on multiple occasions, how miserable I'd be if I sold it. So with all that said the mk2 will be coming back to the UK though I'm not sure when. So with the sale of my mk5 R32 and the soon sale of my US spec mk6 GTI, I have recently bought a mk6 GTD to use as my daily.

7. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like a win win to me. You got 3 months in an R32 and get to keep your mk2 :)

Glad to hear you are holding on to it.

afbiker02 likes this.
  8. afbiker02

It was like having a fun rental car.

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I echo that sentiment!

10. afbiker02

Thanks. I know I would have regretted selling her. Now I just need to sell my old hot wheels, baseball cards and collectables to pay to get her back to the UK. I've been getting shipping quotes and it's about £2500 all in.

11. afbiker02

CA01DE59-C30E-4EDB-B9E5-5B5E3FA62782.jpeg 2EE5F957-1CB2-49F2-BCE7-1C8E171DCFBC.jpeg A few years ago, before I left for Korea, I had asked a friend to 3D print me some badges for my mk2. I lost touch with him and I thought for sure these badges, as well as my original ones he used as templets, were gone. These turned up in the post today. I’m a slight, huge, Star Wars fan

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    dodgy and Tristan like this.
  12. afbiker02

Well it’s been some time so time for a small update. All the paperwork has been done in the states and is in the post to my sister who has my mk2. Once she gets all the paperwork, she can schedule a date to get my mk2 on a boat headed back here to the UK. She’s gonna put an apple AirTag in my car so I can track it, since it’s being shipped by military contractor and last time they “misplaced” my car for 6 weeks. Hopefully my car will be here for summer.

dodgy likes this.
  13. afbiker02

Well she’s all booked for shipment for the 25th of May. My sister was concerned about it being rusty, I think her rusty and my rusty are a bit different though I’ll need to get some new petrol tank straps and clean up the spare wheel well and rear valance. I also thought I’d add an engine shot just for good measure B44BE4A4-3D9C-4907-AD1F-8F407F39EDA9.jpeg 35EAB8CD-3D19-4CFB-B654-2977EB9DC715.jpeg 23A4C7D1-1B79-4CB8-92FD-C5ED1B3763BC.jpeg B28D256A-D3C4-45F7-A5B6-F8151AF463AD.jpeg

Toyotec and dodgy like this.
  14. Tristan

Lol, her rusty isn't what we call rusty.

afbiker02 likes this.
  15. afbiker02

She had me worried last night when I talked to her on the phone but once she sent the pictures I was ok with her rusty. I’m just happy there is finally a ship date

16. afbiker02

Here’s my sister getting her all cleaned up for her trip
    2A288F2D-CA09-4A87-B071-BF0C20C8BD15.jpeg
    she’ll be taking the mk2 to the port on the 26th of May to be shipped back here. My sister is going to put an AirTag in the car so I can track the progress but it should take about 6 weeks for my mk2 to get here. To say I’m excited is an understatement as I have seen or driven my car since Nov 2018.

17. Adamss24 Forum Member

Good luck you get it in good condition without major delays…she scrubs up well with a wash !

afbiker02 likes this.
  18. Tristan

That's a really great number plate [:D]

afbiker02 likes this.
  19. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I love that number plate.

Look forward to seeing it back here!

afbiker02 likes this.
  20. afbiker02

She all loaded up for the first part of her journey home. D7CB0D12-85F1-42C9-88CB-2F1A6D687A33.jpeg

Toyotec, MUSHY 16V, dodgy and 3 others like this.