Abf conversion wiring check

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Helios, Feb 18, 2024.

1. Helios

Helios Paid Member Paid Member

Looking for some guidance on wiring, starting an abf swap from a complete running mk3 16v gti with ac and abs into an 88 mk2 gti digifant ce1. Having read lots of guides on the forums and downloaded and studied the wiring diagrams I'm in the process of preparing the abf wiring for transplant. I intend to do this by splicing the wiring as I find it easier to identify wires by colour and my eyesight is no longer good enough to see the pin numbers on the plugs, as it is a ce1 it's not as easy to swap the plugs and pins anyway.
    I was hoping someone knowledgable would double check my thinking before I start cutting and soldering. So from the abf ecu plug, and t28 engine harness plug,

0.5 green/red to pin 6 on mk2 ignition module
    0.5 black and 0.5 black/white and 1.0 black/white can go to mk2 ignition coil live
    0.5 red to mk2 starter solenoid wire or red/green in mk2 digifant wiring.
    0.5 black/red(marked black/ white on wiring diagram) on mk3 goes to j176 ecu relay to energise it, on the mk2 this relay is energised off line 15 ignition live, do I leave this out?
    0.5 blue/white from abf ecu with single blue plug on dash end, is this the one that can be connected to the mk2 dash wire to stereo and instruments yellow/white?
    1.5 black/yellow to 1.5 black yellow in 2 pin plug in mk2 scuttle tray
    1.0 white/red to 1.5 red/white in 2 pin plug in mk2 scuttle tray (it's there but not connected to anything currently,has 12v when running, for lambda sensor heater feed. Can it be used for others?
    1.5 red with big yellow spade to mk2 coil +
    0.5 white/blue speed sensor, keep just in case?
    0.5 yellow/blue to 1.0 red/green fuel pump trigger.

I have cut out 0.5 green/yellow purge canister solenoid, 0.5 green/white auto gearbox?, and purple/white to mk3 instruments.

I have the diagnostic plug, and immobiliser for the 0.5 grey/ white wire to connect to, is there an easy way these days to bin off the immobiliser to save wiring it all in?

In the mk2 scuttle tray there are 2, 2 pin plugs but with two different wires to what I have read in the forums, the black/yellow ecu power, red/white +12v running,use for lambda heater, then a red/yellow which is earth when running and a red/brown or brown/red which oddly has 2v when running? Don't know what these 2 do and are they useful?

I also intend to fit the mk3 aircon, but I think I understand what the wiring needs.
    Sorry its a bit of a long post, just want to avoid any setbacks, thanks.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

heyup, have you seen this linky:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/ce1-abf-splicing-of-looms-help.249714/

the black/white sounds like ignition live for the carbon canister from G2/4, which you put into the bin. the other thinner black on G2/4 you can tap into the black on the small green 2 pin plug on CE1 digifant harness.

0.5 red you could tap to the digifant green/red spade from the scuttle area, or tap to main starter if you like.

the black/red on the G1 plug pin 7 wont be required if you aren't going to wire an external relay holder for the #30 ABF ecu relay

blue/white is speed signal for ecu, just leave it hanging if you dont have a matching yellow/white near fusebox to connect it to. often its there on the GTI but not always, it comes direct from the black cluster plug

yes tap abf lambda heater white/red to the mk2 white/red spade, this plugs into matchign spade on rear wiring loom (fuel pump power)

red with big yellow spade, cut the latch off the side so it fits to spade N on ce1 fusebox (injector power)

white/blue up to you, can just leave it be for a rainy day as you say

yellow/blue to the mk2 red/yellow on D/13, fed from one of the spades in the scuttle

green/white sounds like aircon to me, it would have gone to a 2 pin green plug if so. Or if it was to G1/12, thats the abf rev counter signal for mk3 cluster which you can ignore.

if you have the immo box with key, just wire them in. black on immo box to ignition live, browns to earth, 1 wire to ecu diagnostics and other to port. otherwise there are cheap immo emulator on ebay just tap the diagnostics port and ecu diagnostics to the same pin on immo emulator job done. alternatively you can have it coded out, toyotec on here can sort you.

CE1 pinout of 2 pin spade plugs (CE2 has more wires, probably where the confusion is)
    black/yellow - ecu and injector power
    green/red - cranking live
    yellow/red - fuel relay trigger
    red/white - lambda probe power, is left in for retrofit lambda/cat and/or VW couldnt be arsed to make a 'non-lambda' loom