abf digi 3.2-suspected h/g causing bad idle. fixed now back with a vengeance

Discussion in '16-valve' started by paultownsend, Oct 4, 2009.

1. idlirp Forum Member

try this:
    disconnect the vac hose to the ecu. what happens? can you see the engine idle like its gonna die?
    does it gets REALLY better when connected?
    today i replaced the rubber vac hose with a plastic one and guess what? the engine idles really better, the smell of poorly burnt petrol has gone (now its how it should) and the main thing i loved more is the driving feeling, the acceleration and the rev decrease is so smooth and it feels like i got a new car. never thought that the Manifold Absolute Pressure could affect so much really everything. i strongly advise you to check it very attentively.
    cheers!

2. paultownsend Forum Member

did it today again grrrr.
    if ecu hose is disconnected it stalls. every time.
    its new 3mm id silicone hose on there. what everyone seems to recomend

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

wiggle loom from end to end while its doing it, and the crank sensor. hopefully you'll find an area which effects it, which would tell you you have a wire break there. i worked on an lighting loom and found no continuity to one of the indicator earths. while the wire looked just fine, when i came to strip back the insulation it crumbled away into a corroded mess!

4. paultownsend Forum Member

the loom was removed and continuity checked on all wires. came up fine :(
    i still feel it may be the pressure. cant tick it off until new vr pump and filter is fitted.

5. LukaszGti

LukaszGti Paid Member Paid Member

I've swapped fpr and vacuum hoses and it is still doing it. Seems to be running a bit smoother though. I'm starting to loose my patience with this car.

6. paultownsend Forum Member

still occuring.

if i let it idle from cold, 9 times out of 10 it will give the uber rough idle, wont rev over 3k, and no power. then suddenly, it kicks in and burns the clutch.

yet if i drive straight off its fine.

so lets think about this in a different way.
    what would make it do this from cold? wiring would be intermittant, and happen more or less all the time. as would other hardware.

fuel pressure perhaps?

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Why don't you do some sensor logs in vag com (if you have it) to see if you can see what happens. Not sure what you've changed as I haven't read the whole thread. Seems electrical to me as I had a few hard to trace problems with mine when I had the standard management.
    Diagnostics is very poor on the mk3. But cold damp conditions cause lower resistance path to earth if insulation in components/wires are faulty.

8. paultownsend Forum Member

iv checked on vagcom. no errors thrown up.

can i wiring fault cause this? i mean the main 'on engine' loom is all good as iv repaired all the suspect bits and checked for continuity.

im thinking either power or ground somewhere else. the last time it cam back was when fiddling when changing the clutch. moving allsorts. after fixing my side repeater wiring the problem hasnt been back. thank god.

the loom was originally from a cupra abf. and some alterations had to be done. im leaning towards this. as its literally the last thing, apart from the tank and pumps left

9. paultownsend Forum Member

still no errors and its happening again.

my ignition switch is worn. could this be causing the hesitation and bad idle? it does seem electrically related

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have you changed the fuel pump relay yet? mine started to go and i would get a random missfire say once a month for a minute or so, then it would clear. till one day i went to drive off and it had no power, and would only idle for a few seconds then cut out. new relay, all sorted! also ecu relay if you havent already, but iirc you already did that earlier

11. paultownsend Forum Member

all relays changed. i have a vr6 pump set up so il try that after the ignition barrel

12. mk1tt16v Forum Member

did you ever identify the problem? got the same problem at the moment.

13. idlirp Forum Member

hi mk1tt16v !
    i would strongly suggest what RJ has stated: the Crank sensor + wiring! it seems to be one of the most crucial reasons for the bad idling. last week found a ABF with an almost broken in pieces cable near the crank sensor. cheers.