ABF into MK2 checklist

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DuBAndy, Mar 17, 2013.

1. DuBAndy Forum Member

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

The length of those is to do with the Mk3 vehicles and fitting the pipe on a Mk3 after the cat.
    Can't say if either would just fit your vehicle straight up.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah 2 lengths of mk3 cat, on the more expensive decat pipe this comes with a removable section. on the cheap ones they come long and you have to chop em down.

this is the one i bought:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milltek-Sport-Mk3-Golf-VR6-Corrado-VR6-Cat-Bypass-Pipe-/281041163777

this one is good price and comes with gaskets etc, but note there are 2 types of seal as well you got flat type as per this auction, and olive type so check your downpipe before you buy:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Volksw...-GTI-510mm-Long-Stainless-Decat-/330865186613

4. DuBAndy Forum Member

I'm aware it won't be a straight fit, just don't want to buy the short one & it not be long enough to mate with a MK2 system :thumbup: That's what an angle grinder is for lol. I'll go with the longer one to play it safe.

5. DuBAndy Forum Member

Thanks for those links John, searching "cat bypass" instead of "decat" returns some different results it seems!

Over 100 for those two parts from VW for the cable clutch conversion, even with 10% discount...!

6. mk2vivs Forum Member

When i converted a mk2 to an abf i used the o2a gearbox and mk2 golf front crossmember i ended up fitting the corrado g60 front engine bracket as these use an o2a box but a front mount like the mk2 :thumbup:

7. DuBAndy Forum Member

I have made some progress...

Digi engine out
    Shifter mech in
    Loom out

Couple of questions regarding using the MK2 coil & have some wires left at the fusebox end:

Do you simply cut the wires off the MK3 coil connector & plug up to the Mk2 one?

Wires on the ABF loom:

@FUSEBOX
    1. I have a pair of wires in the non-shielded insulation - Has a a brown wire & black one inside... What is this for?
    2. Grey/White - Immobilizer? VAGCOM?
    3. Yellow/Blue - Fuel pump relay?
    4. Black/Yellow - ECU relay?
    5. Black/white - ECU relay?
    6. Purple/white - MFA MPG - unused on MK2 clocks?
    7. Black - From coil - IGN?
    8. Black - IGN?
    9. Red - Goes to pin22 on engine loom 28way plug - Live? Fused?
    10. Red - Goes to the ECU - Fused?

Midway on the MK3 ABF loom:
    2pin connector - White/yellow + Brown/blue?
    2pin connector - Green/red + Brown/blue?
    2pin connector - Blue/Red + Brown/red - Low brake fluid warning?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  8. DuBAndy Forum Member

Also where does the grey wire go from the immobilizer?

9. rubjonny

cut mk3 coil plug off, crimp spade to black wire and plug to mk2 coil +. bin brown wire. pull red/green wire back thru the loom towards the ecu and leave it for now. Take mk2 TCI->coil wiring out of the mk2 loom. Splice the tci pin 6 to the mk3 red/green wire, run the coil and battery -ve wires as per mk2. if it had a dizzy plug on it, the 2 remaining dizzy wires can be cut out.

splice the mk3 ecu earth wire to the mk2 tci earth back to the battery, this will be spare once you remove the mk3 battery live and earth cables (use the mk2 battery cables in the lighting loom)

1. pics? where exactly does it go? could be rad fan after-run possibly
    2. to immobiliser, look at immob box loom its obvious where it goes ;)
    3. yes, some looms have a 2 pin plug inline with the wire to G1/3, you can use a jumper plug from another mk3 or just splice together
    4. yes
    5. yes
    6. yes
    7-8. probably the coil live to G1/4 and ign live for ecu/isv in g2/4
    9. 22 is for fuel injector #4. are you sure you counted it right? if its actually in 17 thats the feed for the fuel injectors to Z/1
    10. F/5 probably, if so thats starter live

White/yellow + Brown/blue - inlet air temp sensor
    Green/red + Brown/blue - carbon canister, bin
    Blue/Red + Brown/red - brake or coolant level probably, if it runs to a yellow plug C then bin

10. DuBAndy Forum Member

Thanks Jonny! I will look at the loom tonight & double check / bin off the bits I don't need.

I'll check the later & get a pic of 1. for you. I've deleted it now, so hope it wasn't too important lol

I understand the pin-out for relay #30, which I will mount above the fusebox.... But do I need to run 167 relay for the fuel pump or can I use my old relay (not sure which number it is, will check later (CE1 '87 Gti).

Where does the grey wire go from the immobilizer unit?

11. rubjonny

basically if it didnt run to ecu or the round plug, no its not required :lol:

if its a k-jet you'll need to swap the pump relay for a 67, 80 or 167. if it was a digifant the old relay is fine :)

you have 4 wires on immob to hook up, browns with ing is earth i put that to the stud on the a pillar. black is ignition live, run to a spade on the back of the fusebox or d/2 or d/7. then 1 wire goes to ecu loom, the other goes to the diagnostics jumper block. the diagnostics port wires plug into it as well. you can splice the immob wire direct to the port wire if you like, the jumper block is there so many things that have diagnostics can be plugged in easily. the yellow wire from port can be binned

12. DuBAndy Forum Member

Smashing! Thats all my questions answered :)

I have just checked my fuel pump relay, I do have #80 fitted. Where abouts do I need to connect the yellow/blue wire from the ECU connect to on the back of the CE1 fusebox?

13. rubjonny

D/13 :)

if it was a digifant you'll have the 2 pin plug R which means you can use the factory ecu relay socket, splice the abf yellow/black to the R plug yellow/black. leave the abf ecu white/black taped up you shouldn't need it

14. DuBAndy Forum Member

Thank you! I have your fusebox FAQ printed off & couldn't idenify that as the fuel pump feed, but looking at it again:-

"13- vio/blk- thermal switch for carb heater, inlet manifold heater, auto choke & bypass cut-off valve (carb models)
    \- red/yel- electronic ignition control unit pin 10 (16v) or digifant ECU pin 3 (digifant f/inj)
    \- red/yel- knock sensor control unit pin 10 (16v)"

I'm guessing digifant ECU pin 3 = fuel pump relay feed :thumbup:

Yes, I have the "R" plug, I was looking at this yesterday thinking I maybe able to use that.

Very helpful Jonny :clap:

15. rubjonny

yarp its the earth trigger from de ecu which triggers the fuel pump relay :thumbup:

16. DuBAndy Forum Member

Sorry, what is the TCI? Is that the small module on top of the ECU bracket? Do I need this still?

17. rubjonny

yup thats the one. you need it if you go mk2 coil, and i strongly recommend that you do as the mk3 coils are rubbish

18. DuBAndy Forum Member

Yep, I'll be using the MK2 coil. I left the MK3 one behind on the car I removed the conversion from! Do you have a pin out for the TCI? I will need to reinstall it...

19. rubjonny

on the old mk2 loom strip out the tci plug and wiring, then splice it as above :)

1 - coil -ve
    2 - battery -ve
    4 - coil +ve
    6 - mk3 ecu

20. DuBAndy Forum Member

Right - Wiring all done! Thanks RJ!

Next question: I bought a Toledo clutch cable from GSF, but when I looked it, it was way too short. Took it back. Went to SEAT to get one. I found part number: 6K2 721 335F. Is that the correct number? As that part is now obsolete! So I need a clutch cable? Anyone got a different part number? Or know where to get one?

Next question: The airbox - The MK3 one is massive, so I'm going to try & find a Toledo ABF one or searched on here & found SEAT SDI ones fit too? Any others that fit?

Thank You!