ABF into MK2 checklist

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DuBAndy, Mar 17, 2013.

1. DuBAndy Forum Member

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yup thats the one you need, try a 1.3 mk2 cable and cut the inner plastic cable tube down a bit to give you a bit of extra length. for the airbox mk2/ibiza/toledo/cordoba abf, spi and diesel is what you need to look for.

those cables might be LHD, but I cant say for sure. etka doesnt give lengths unfortunately!

3. DuBAndy Forum Member

Thanks Jon, I went to the breakers but no caddy vans there with SPI engines. I've put a wanted ad up on the caddy forum for an airbox :thumbup:

I've looked into the clutch cable issue & the ones above are listed to fit toledo but are way too short (1285mm) They are the same length as my standard MK2 Gti one... Maybe you're right - they are for LHD. I may have to go down the MK2 1.3 route. These are listed as being 1502mm...

4. DuBAndy Forum Member

Sorry, are the SDI & SPI engines the same?

5. rubjonny

SPI is single point injection, so the dodgy electronic carb thingy on early 90s vws on the poverty spec. mk2s did rarely get it, more likely to find on seat

6. DuBAndy Forum Member

Just connected the battery for the first time & the fuel pump is running all the time without the IGN on...!

7. rubjonny

check z/1 and Y, Z/1 should have a red wire with yellow plug, Y should have a large red cable (can have black cover) and some other reds, all with red plugs

8. DuBAndy Forum Member

It was indeed the main red battery feed. I'd connected it up to "N" on a CE1 instead of "P". Schoolboy error! Phew!

Couldn't find Z or Y, but I knew what you meant ;)

Back to the airbox, seems the common engine on a SEAT/ Caddy van are SDI engines, I take it the airbox will be unsuitable?

I might have a go at deleting the MAP from my MK2 airbox & mate it with the MK3 one...? Bit of plastic welding? lol

9. rubjonny

if its up to 2001 then it should be ok, if in doubt post it up!

the mk2 plastiweld option could be a goer, the mk2 airbox fits the chassis leg better than the seat boxes as well since one of the nipples on the bottom is in a slightly different spot

10. DuBAndy Forum Member

I've managed to cut & shut the MK3 airbox with my MK2 airbox...

Just needs a bit of plastic welding & then a layer of fibreglass over the top to seal it & make it look decent.

[​IMG]

Overal pic of the install

[​IMG]

11. antogoof New Member

hi mate, nice install, how did you find routing the loom? ive stripped mine, but im still at the pulling the wires out i dont need stage. did you have to extend the wires to the ecu plug? it looks as tho your ecu is a bit far over. some forums say that you need to extend the wires but that looks like a right bollox of a job, what do you think?

12. rubjonny

the mk3 loom will fit right in no problem, ecu will sit in the oem position. seat looms are a bit more tricky as the routing on them is pretty different but with thought you can make it fit.

with the 20v looms i route it so you fit the ecu in the middle under the wiper motor, mk3 ecu might be a bit fat for that though but not tried

13. DuBAndy Forum Member

Yep, the MK3 loom is long enough. I messed up a bit on mine a bit, thats why my ECU isn't quite as far over as I'd like...

Do you have a CE1 or CE2 fusebox? Mine was CE1. I pulled out my engine loom out of my MK2 (everything connected to "D" plug - leave "C" plug alone- that can stay - its lights, horn main power etc), then laid out my MK3 loom, cut it open, binned all the stuff I didn't need, then mated it with my MK2 loom. Then soldered it all up... Sounds simple but does take a while & use RJ's fusebox FAQ over in the electrical section

14. antogoof New Member

ce2, ive already messaged rj about this, it looks a nightmare when its all laid out on the garage floor!

i do have a question tho, i have the inductive loop and the immob box that goes with it, but i also have a junction box type thing with 6 plugs in it, do i need this? cause i have quite a few wires that i cannot find a connection for?

also i have a blue and white wire speedo sensor? and i dont know what to do with it! ill get some pics up a bit later.

15. rubjonny

sounds like the diagnostics jumper block, is it black with a long row of 2 pin sockets? if so keep that as it makes it easier to connect the diagnostics port. the mk3 also uses multi coloured 4 pin jumper blocks for joining different circuits, you wont need these but they can be handy if you have a lot of options installed!

the speedo sensor I dont think is needed, mine has never been wired up

16. DuBAndy Forum Member

Just a quick one John, before put everything back together inside the car:

Immob wiring:
    Black = IGN
    Brown = GND
    Grey/White = ECU + VAGCOM connector?
    Grey = diagnostics jumper block - which I don't have so leave disconnected?

VAGCOM:
    Black = IGN
    Brown = GND
    Grey/white = Immob + ECU?
    Yellow = Bin?

The grey/white wire from the ECU I have going to both Immob & VAGCOM connector, is that ok?

17. DuBAndy Forum Member

Speed sensor wire I taped up inside the loom, unless you want to run MK3 clocks...

18. rubjonny

the immob box grey/white only goes to the ecu, it will only plug into the correct socket on the immob box anyway so cant mix it up. the grey wire needs to connect to the vag-com port grey/white, the junction block is just there to allow this without a hard splice, i.e. so you can unplug the immob loom seperately without any cutting.

the vag-com port should have a red/white wire which is live, but ign live is ok tbh as cant read ecu without ign on anyway. but factory the port is spliced to the ciggy lighter wiring :)

19. DuBAndy Forum Member

Thanks! It is indeed red/white, I was going off the top of my head. All wired in properly now.

It's alivvvvvveeeee! [:D] Started first time. Just need to finish off the airbox & waiting for my clutch cable!

20. antogoof New Member

andy, i know its you thread but would you mind if i posted some pics, i just need some clarification!