Air Con in a Mk2 golf?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 8vGtiMk2, Apr 1, 2006.

1. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Hello everyone,

I have just joined CLUB GTI and am a new member.
    I have owned 2 gti's in the past, both were 8v's and I enjoyed driving them. :)

The first (1989 Tornado Red Gti 8v) was taken away and crushed by my local council while I was at work[:x] [xxx] . There was no road tax on the vehicle and the engine was in the boot but they were having none of it. A shame really as I had just sorted out the chassis spending over 2k[:^(] .

The second (1991 Black Gti 8v 5 door) was and still is with my m8 who bought it from me and is doing a 2l bottom end conversion at present[:D] . As I have had a new edition to the family I didn't want the new baby's head bouncing all over the place in the golf so got a family car[:s] .

Baby has grown up now (old enough to hold her head up anyway) and I have now acquired a lovely 1991 tornado red gti 8v[:D] . I have so many plans for my new baby (car) but need to sort out the little things first.

The heater has stopped working/temperamental. It works (VERY LOW HEAT) when the car first starts but then fades away. Blower does work but not much heat. It does not matter to me much as I planned to fit Air Con to the car and I need HELP to do this.

If anyone has fitted air con or has the know how to do this I would appreciate if you could pass on your knowledge to me. [8D]

2. Red_TN Forum Member

All i know is that that it is very rare to get a mk2 kit, as not many ever came with it, making them very expensive.... im sure there are aftermarket kits, but again, will cost...sure someone can shed some light onto it!

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Hah - we had a South African MK2 'GTS' which came with air conditioning as standard. We scrapped the car, so I offered the entire air conditioning kit on eBay. Absolutely everything was there, including the small glove box and smaller passenger side shelf. And no bugger wanted it. Ended up practically giving it away. Funny, isn't it.

I saw another SA Golf MK2 GTS on eBay a few weeks ago. Was up for 500 quid and nobody bought it. That would have had factory air conditioning, like ours did. Picking something like that up is probably your best bet if you want to get hold of all of the parts.

4. mexicorich Forum Member

I think you will still need your heater to work. The bypass valve in the feed pipes from the engine bay seems to be notorious on Mk2s. Take it out and just connect the pipes straight through

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hello, I have factory fitted A/C on my '91 Mk2. As the others have said it's very rare on RHD cars and hence the bits to fit it rarely become available for sale. There is rather a lot involved in the conversion I believe, there are certainly a lot more air-con specific parts than you would imagine.

As Trev says your best bet would be to look out for a SA model with air-con and get the bits off that. Failing that maybe ask on the US-based VWVortex forum as the Americans seems to love 'deleting' their air-con and stripping all the bits out to save weight so perhaps you could do a deal on some parts? Obviously they'd be from a LHD car though so may need adapting to fit and shipping could be expensive.

Give me a shout if I can be of any help or if you need pics of any of the A/C components so you know what you're looking for! :)

Cheers

Stu

PS. Yes, it sounds like your bypass valve(s) are knackered making the heater not work very well, do a seach on this forum for more info on fixing that - common fault.

6. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

I have all the parts you need for the aircon most parts are brand new and includes EVERYTHING .
    P.M me
    Andy

7. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Wow...what a great response, thanks guy's.:thumbup:

8. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

I sent ANDYG a private message about the air con parts but no reply...maybe I did not send it properly[:s]

9. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Give it time mate - he might not have received it yet. Get those bypass valves whipped out whilst you are waiting! :)

10. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

PM replied

11. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Air con work has started

Ok, I am starting the work and going to fit the air con that I got off Andy(thanks m8) but need help in getting off the front end. People are saying that there are only 4 bolts that hold on the front bumper but I can't see them at all!

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

they're underneath, bolt into either end of the front X-member. Two pairs of big bolts.

DON'T drive it with the bumper off. Those bolts also hold the X-member to the body. With the bumper off all that's holding the X-member on, and the engine front end, is the two little bolts between the pairs of 19mm(?) ones.

13. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Yet again had problems..not with the car but myself taken ill so couldn't sort the car out.

Good news I have fitted everything apart from one a/c pipe which (fingers crossed) will be done next weekend. Managed to get it running, so all belts turn fine.

Still lots of work to be done!

14. golfpaul Forum Member

This thread has spanned 2 years in 13 posts, good going.

15. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Yeah, and in those two years I'v spent just over 2 monts in hospital, 8 months recovering and the rest sorting myself out...

but if not interested then fair enough

16. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Aircon works yey...just in time lol!

17. t'mill Forum Member

Haha, roll on a belter of a summer!! :thumbup:

18. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Pictures

Hi Andy,

I put the pictures here so your PM doesn't get full.

This is the bottle that I haven't fitted [​IMG]

19. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These wires are connected and red goes to battery but further down is this wire which I don't know where it goes (this wire is in the same loom so I assume it goes in the engine bay somewhere.
    [​IMG]

These wires are inside the car next to the heater box and can't remember where they go or if it is important at all, all the other old wires have been removed but this is the only things that remain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  20. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

i cant remember where the extra wires go without a wiring diagram, but you'll never get the heater vents to change over correctly without the vacuum tanks fitted