Air Con in a Mk2 golf?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 8vGtiMk2, Apr 1, 2006.

1. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Can you remember how the tank was fitted? I remember you saying one end connects to the engine...will use the blanked off line behind the throttle body. In the picture the T junction is missing but will get that sorted. Where does the other bit connect to?????

2. davecr32 Forum Member

Hi, That tank fits in the front wheel well above the inner arch shield. Probably on the passenger side.

I think there is a grommet to be removed then the tank just screws up in place.

3. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

Have you got any pictures?

I also need to know if it connects to the controls or the heater box[:s]

4. davecr32 Forum Member

Hi sorry for the late reply i only looked over this thread today as im starting to fit air con to my mk2

the vacum resevoir fits just infront of the battery on the underside of the panel Heres a pic
    [​IMG]

a long green pipe fits to this and then connects to a t piece.

[​IMG]

i hope this helps.

as for the wiring all plugs on the inside of the car plug up to the heater box.

im pretty sure you should only be left with a 5 pin plug and 2 1 pin larger gauge wires to plug upto plugs inside of the car.

For info vw used to supply a conversion kit to fit the aircon system to convert it from r12 gas to r134 this has been discontinued. i made an enquiry today with my local radiator supplier and they can supply a conversion kit for about 40 this is to convert it to connect to the larger r134 gas charging connecters.

I will check up on this post more frequently :)

5. 8vGtiMk2

8vGtiMk2 Forum Member

That has helped a lot, now just need to go and fit everything, so the vacuum booster vacuum line connects to any spare line near the inlet?

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  6. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Just noticed this post pop up again, good work fitting the A/C system! Let me know if you need photo's of any specific bits and I'll take them for you on my factory A/C equipped Mk2. :thumbup:

I'm sure that green vacuum line just connects into a t-piece behind the inlet manifold on mine, will have a look later and report back. The vacuum tank is under the battery tray in the chassis leg on mine if I remember correctly. :)

7. TwentySixKA New Member

Hello,
    Sorry for bringing this old topic, but I need some help in understanding how the whole vacuum system works, because I bought an incomplete ac kit and I am trying to fit it in my MK2.
    Thank you!

8. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Could you show some photos of the AC parts you have?

9. TwentySixKA New Member

I saw your reply too late, will take pictures tomorrow.
    I have all the pipes, dryer, heater box + all interior vacuum lines (the line ends to the firewall), today I bought a brand new radiator.
    I need actual pictures of the exterior vacuum lines and A/C radiator fixed in place.
    I will be thankful for every bit of information you can provide and will try to take pictures and make a DIY guide.

10. Tauriq Moosa New Member

Hi good day,

I also recently connected aircon set up, im struggling with the loom of aircon in engine bay, could u perhaps take some pics , also which plug goes to the compressor and pictures of the pipes please?

11. KamalJamal New Member

I'm using a wiring diagram from the king of all things MK2 @rubjohnny. It should help you.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_...=sharing&resourcekey=0-N4DygIc4--ssOemTHmO8Ew

Tauriq Moosa likes this.