Another project I don't need

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks. Should be able to actually read the dials now.

2. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got these for a pretty good price. Used, but plenty of life left in them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Tyres fitted. Looks beefy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Hot Water Forum Member

Any updates?

5. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Awesome topic mate :thumbup:

The Red wing is outstanding and good for atleast another 30bhp

[​IMG]

Lukeybabes likes this.
  6. Lukeybabes Forum Member

People keep asking me if I'm going to paint the odd wing. And that's what I've been replying haha

Things sort of slowed down with this. The car I was borrowing to tow it with got sold so I haven't even got to drive it properly yet.

Did a bit of tinkering though. I mounted the sting on my tracking bars. Was a bit of a pain to get them the same tension and length but I got there.

[​IMG]

Also been messing about trying to get the rev counter to work with the AGU ecu tacho output. Bought a converted and it didn't work. Spoke to a very helpful guy that told me to try a bunch of things but none of them worked. Turns out the tacho in my clocks were just faulty. Clocks are getting a bit expensive now, and I had a spare set of mk3 Golf clocks that work with the AGU tacho output. So I rammed the dial from the mk3 clocks in the back of the mk2 clocks. And am using the circuit board fromt he mk3 just to run the tacho.
    If I was smarter im sure I could compact down the circuit for the tacho using the components from the mk3 board.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To fit the mk3 dial in the back though I had to get rid of the circuit for the oil pressure idiot light. I could have probably used the mk3 board to use this but instead I just put a live to the LED and am going to earth it through the pressure switch, since I was getting rid of one of the pressure switches to fit my new gauges anyway. And I didn't know and couldn't be bothered to check if it would work with just the low pressure switch. Only difference would have been that it would flash with the circuity.

I was looking at oil pressure and temp gauges on ebay but remembered that I had some lying about down the unit ready to use. Luckily too as they are bloody expensive. Only had to buy the senders for them.

[​IMG]

The temperature one was easy to get and cheap because it's the same as the mk2 Golf coolant temp sensor range. Had to double check it though.

[​IMG]

The pressure sender was a little more difficult to get as all of the repo m10x1 thread ones were 5 bar. And I have a 10 bar gauge. The genuine vdo ones are 70 odd so no thanks. Could easily get them in most other threads so I bought an m12 thread one for 10 and had it machined down to m10x1. And has the 0.5bar idiot light switch on it too. So all good.

[​IMG]

7. Hot Water Forum Member

Good update!

8. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks! I got the gauges fitted today on the 20vt and it all back together. Very happy, as this was quite a high milage bottom end. The oil pressure looks very healthy. And the rev counter works as intended.

Started it cold. 4 bar at idle. Up to 6 with a little revs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then when up to temp. 2 bar at idle. So It's well within spec.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was quite a tight squeeze getting the pressure sender in there. Just managed it though.

[​IMG]

9. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Keeping the thread alive. Been tinkering a little bit.

Added a fuel pressure gauge just to make sure my fuel system is doing the right thing.

[​IMG]

Moved the horn from behind the wing as it sounded terrible. Not that a track car needs a horn now I think about it. hmm.
    Definitely need to move the driving position forward too.

10. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Finally took this out to the track. Bit of a nightmare but the weekend at the national meet wasn't ruined by it. I got a few laps in at least.

Firstly had a blowout on the trailer on the way up

[​IMG]

But I was only 20 miles away from home so I took the tyre home and put my new tre machine to good use. Got to the track at about midnight on the friday but we got there.

I was very impressed with the car. Felt quite good and I was just starting to have some fun.

[​IMG]

[video=youtube_share;YEYqbXknT_k]https://youtu.be/YEYqbXknT_k[/video]

I'm sure I could have gone a lot faster if it let me have a few more laps. But after 4 and it was done.

[​IMG]

Cut out on track but bump started it again, then cut out when I came in. It cranks over but won't even attempt to fire up.

• Checked the fuel, it has 3 bar pressure and it is firing out of the injectors
      Checked the spark, all 4 coilpacks are sparking
      Checked valve timing, all marks lined up
      Checked to make sure the bottom pulleys key hadn't failed and put the timing out
      Took the inlet hose off of the throttle, unplugged the MAF and tried to start it to see if there was some air blockage
      No significant fault codes
      Vag com is showing a signal from the crank position sensor
      Looked in the cylinders with my borescope and it looks ok.
      Took the valve cover off and nothing looks out of place

So 20vt guys. Any ideas? Standard engine, turbo, managment, tune. 1.8t AGU.

Need to check to see if the fuel didn't turn to water half way round the track. And a compression test I suppose. Doesn't really seem mechanical because it just cut out with no drama.

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Luke, saw you post on FB.

hmm...

Looks like you have checked the basics and they seem OK.

Have a check on the other tests and let us know.

In addition, if you get it sorted, then you can come to the Club GTI Curby day, bank holiday Monday the 28th.
    As we are the originators of the format you drove recently, some of the quickest cars of that format around will be in attendance.

12. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I will keep the thread updated. :thumbup:

Yeah Trevor said about that one. I will have to see if I can make it if I get it fixed. Fun little track for sure.

13. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Tested the fuel. Taken from the fuel rail. Burned fine
    Tested the spark with the full load on the starter motor of compression. Used a spare spark plug and left the other ones in. Still sparked. So I'm assuming there is spark in the cylinders.
    And I sprayed easy start in the inlet manifold with the injectors unplugged. Still absolutly nothing.

Compression tester should get here tomorrow. But I really can't see how there can be no compression with no damage.

14. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Luke have you tried a new set of plugs? I know it sounds to obvious but give it a go

15. Lukeybabes Forum Member

They are pretty much new. And are giving off a decent looking spark though?

16. notenoughtime

From my experience it may well be sparking outside of the cylinder but doesn't in it!

I have come across this problem many times, even new plugs that it has coughed on and then nothing! New plugs and they are off!

Lotus twin cam engines, Cosworth engines, Mini engines ,Vw engines, Volvo etc

17. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I can't see how that is possible? But worth a shot if you have seen it before. Thanks

18. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Tried new plugs with no change. But the compression test results are in

[​IMG]

Also did a leakdown. It was set at 100psi

[​IMG]

Conclusion is that all the piston rings have had it. Somehow all at once :confused:
    Also because they were new cheap tools I also tried them on a running car. And that read perfectly fine.

19. notenoughtime

That's a shame mate

Maybe some proper rods to be fitted in the rebuild

20. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I was thinking about it. Don't want to put loads of money into it really though.