Any chance of MK2 winning against Mk4..?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Paul_TDi, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Guy at work drives a Mk2 and is always going on about it and how it reakons it's the fastest thing on the road and still thinks he can beat me in it.

Hes got a big ole DTM style exhaust (so it sounds like a tractor) on it and thats pretty much all it's had done I think, no major work for sure anyways.

Mines just standard but comes complete with a better driver....put it this way....even my girlfriend whos a learner driver with no leasons yet changes gear much smoother than him.

The cars..

'01 MK4 GT TDi (6psd 115ps) 5d

Can't member the year but Mk2 Gti 8v 5d

So would he have any chance at all?

2. inoakgreen Forum Member

OOOOH!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i've got a feeling this is gonna provoke something!! i'm not gonna say about a mk2 gti v's a derv mk4, what watch this!! might give you some idea!! then YOU make up your own mind!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx7NCffKiRg

old v's new golf gti's

2 completely different cars to what your talking of so the vid is for, like a reference really of old golfs

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  3. Seraph Banned

Which video is that?

Does it feature a mk1 with a much higher power to weight ratio against a mk4?

4. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Excellent, nowt like kicking up a discusion!

Just looked at parkers and the 8v gets 112ps no info on 0-60 etc though.

Nice top gear clip there, must admit the Mk1 winning was surprising for me.

I still think I could whoop his ****. The cars might be quite equally matched but without blowing my own trumpet too much I'ved been in his car when hes trying to give it some and it was alful, my gear changers are soo much sweeter and as everyone knows it's not all down to the cars power it needs a good driver too.

5. Paul_TDi Forum Member

Thats the one, Mk1 winning comfortable against MK4.

6. Spawn_of_Satan_666

Spawn_of_Satan_666 Forum Member

Yeah but everyone believes they're a good driver. I for one know i'm very talented and my 8v would leave you for dust:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, cars seem to be getting more powerful, but they are getting a lot heavier.

What do you reckon would be quicker around the bends?

7. inoakgreen Forum Member

some rough mk2's about (more rough ones than good i recks). wouldn't like to say either way, but it would defo surprise you!!

8. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

erm, an interestin one, i would think it would depnd over what distance? The gttdi has loads of torque and pulls like a train, i reckon it would be the mk4, but not entirely convinced.

9. inoakgreen Forum Member

10. Paul_TDi Forum Member

I'm not really sure where we would be able to have a wee race as we finish work when it's too busy for messing around and I tend to go home another way anyways. Will have to settle it sometime though!

Too be honest this guy is weak and doesn't steer that hard due to the lack of PAS, in the wet he might have a chance on bends as I really dont trust my tyres in the we, but in the dry I drive pretty hard.

Ah ha but i dont have the usual 50kg of crap stored in the boot that your average modern day car has :p

11. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I'd like to see the two head to head tbh. Go to santa pod sometime and give them a 1/4 mile sprint!

12. inoakgreen Forum Member

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED my mk1, and 1 of its big plus points, over my mk2 was its lack of pas, brilliant!! but everyones different!!

13. Paul_TDi Forum Member

I remeber him mentioning that his car is something like the year before they introduced PAS on the MK2's, personally i know nowt about Mk2's so dont know if it's true or not/

I do love PAS though, so much easier to chuck a car around.

14. inoakgreen Forum Member

i recks it may have to do with mine being either a 90's mod, or a 16v - why it has it (or it could've just been spec'd that way from new). theres nowt wrong with it (still weights up nice at speed, and best at parking speeds), but the mk1 (and non pas mk2's i've driven), to me feel miles more communicative - you can tell the road surface/traction miles more, i find!!

15. Seraph Banned

Yup, I can definitely see a causal link there!:lol:

Theres no question - the mk2, the mk4 would tip over in the corners! lol

16. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

PAS kills me, i deliberately looked for a car without it when i was looking, you just get NO feel and its much too easy, great for menouvers and thats about it!

get some real man steering:lol:

as for the race, judging by what you've said about the driver, the mk2 itself is gonna be ropey as f*ck aswell, so i'll go mk4

17. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

On paper I'm pretty sure that mk2's acceleration figures are better than a mk4 tdi's. In real life I wouldn't be too confident of beating a mk4 tdi in my standard 8v mk2.
    I once had a bit of a pop at one coming off a roundabout onto a duel carriageway & it was pretty damn close, the problem was that I had to redline in second & third to stay with him (it was dry & there was no other traffic before I get lectured) I'm sure that his car could have kept that up all day but I'd rather not push a 21 year old engine too hrd too often.
    He was still probably getting 40 mpg comapred to my 12.

18. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

same power but less weight in the mk2..............

19. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

In theory, but how many un-modded MK2s still actually produce 112 bhp or 118 depending on where the figures came from.

20. inoakgreen Forum Member

i still wouldn't like to say - when we brought my sisters sharan (as a 5yr old car) that had a 115 bhp 1.9 tdi fitted, and at the time i thought that felt nippy for a derv - and thats a 7-seater!!!