Any chance of MK2 winning against Mk4..?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Paul_TDi, Sep 22, 2007.

1. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Not at all tbh.

Race the two in a straight line @ Santa Pod or on a track then tell me im wrong.

2. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

i presume we are talking about the 01 MK4 GT TDi (6psd 115ps) 5d and the Mk2 Gti 8v 5d still? the mk2 would proberbly breakdown before any such race could take place. ;)

3. Phil. Forum Junkie

The water pump on the mkIV would fail and he'd never leave the paddock. [:D]

4. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

ah! tou?ch?.

5. prof Forum Addict

a mk4 130pd would be faster in real world driving than a stock mk2 16v, I used to have both

So i 'd say that the 115 would win

6. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Well my valver is still break-down free after 2 years of owning it. Most reliable car I've ever had... and the last car was purchased from new!

7. Rainking Forum Member

When I had my Fabia vRS, my G/f raced it in the VWDRC, and there was a fella running a 'C' Plate Mk2 in not the finest nick tbh. They were pretty close... both running low 16s 1/4 mile times. Another guy in the club has run a bog stock Mk4 130TDI and run a 15.9... don't know what difference the extra 15PS makes?

8. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Difference between the 115 and 130 is also the extra torque.... but originally we were talking about a 115 standard against a mk2 8v in standard format.

9. D11BBA

D11BBA Forum Member

Lots of variations in cars does make for a tricky comparison in my mind. Like your standard valver though DB. Was running more horses than my G60 at Stealth if I remember rightly.

10. Seraph Banned

I wasn't really being serious tbh

But if I was, I'd probably raise this point:

Very few mk2's will be putting out anything like they did from factory.
    The same is unlikely to be true for mk4s.

11. Phil. Forum Junkie

Well they seem to take about 60k+ miles to loosen up and run nicely from what I've read so you're probably right. They don't have the power they did when they left the factory ;)

12. Paul_TDi Forum Member

lol, it was you that jinxed him. Today he arrived at work with an oil leak which of course he denied.....later that day AA were towing it to the garage. His head must of split or something to the affect as he has plenty of oil in his water system now.

Silly thing is, he had the head skimmed and repaired late last year when the head gasket was changed.

And in reply to Phil my water pumps recently been done and the rest of the cooling system so no breakdowns for me.

13. Seraph Banned

:lol: , disillusioned young man!

14. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

I was pretty miffed when mk2 GTis seem to be beating R32s all day long in the VW Cup - and R32s handle a LOT better than the diesels and have twice the power (and more) of a 115PD AND are 4WD.

You can't argue with lightweight though and a well sorted mk2 is still one hell of a track weapon. I have a mate who has dropped a 1.8T into one and regularly laughs at MUCH more expensive kit and the 'Ring.

The mk2 handles better, is more agile and more composed.
    The mk4 has more torque and better brakes but is slushy and MUCH heavier.

I think only a properly sorted 150PD (suspension mods, better brakes) would worry a good mk2 GTi, especially a 16v.

15. prof Forum Addict

well i had to keep my 158bhp valver over 6k just to keep up with the ex in her pd130

valvers feel fast, but aren't really unless properly modded

16. inoakgreen Forum Member

i know mine is LOADS quicker than mates 130bhp pd. realistically, and i dont think mine produces its org figure (due to age - despite exhaust & filter s***), let alone 158bhp. i dont think his pd's knacker either (seems to run good). i'd get it checked out if you had to 'thrash your valver' to keep up with 1. even my mates that have upgraded to vr's (golfs & rados), struggle to shake off 16v's. they do in the end obviously, but not easily.

17. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Yes InOak but you are actually eight years old so not able to drive yet.

When you learn how to write sentences properly, learn to spell and pass your driving test, by all means tell us of your experiences on the road.

18. The db

The db Forum Junkie

:lol:

Here we go....

D11bba - my 16v was running a tad more than your G60 [:D] - but it is anything but standard. MOT in next 2 weeks - its going to fail on something on the back end as it feels a bit "bouncy". Probably a bush - good excuse to finish polybushing it though.

19. inoakgreen Forum Member

yes sutherland, but as you've shown here
    [​IMG]
    YOUR A BIG, MESSY, UNHYGIENIC C*CK, WITH A MOULDY GREEN BELL-END!! so your not exactly 1 to comment who, or who cant post on a forum are you!!

DONT COME OUT TO PLAY UNTIL YOU'VE CLEANED YOUR ROOM!!

20. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Excellent work InOak - you should write for the FT you know.