Are G60 arches wider just for snowchains?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by darnold4, Dec 6, 2004.

1. darnold4 Forum Member

The arch trims on factory Golf G60s are too wide from a styling point of view, I think most people will agree.

Are they this wide as a compromise for continental drivers to fit snowchains?

If there wasn't a snowcahin requirement, do you think the G60 would have been sold with standard GTI arches?

I only ask because I want a "kind of" factory G60 look for my motor, but am worried the arches will look wrong with Sebrings or G60 steels, which are my two wheel choices.

Since I have no need for snowchain clearance, is it in your opinion acceptable to use GTI arch trims, whilst retaining G60 ride height and rims? or is this a major fashion faux pas?

I know I could use spacers or something but I don't really want to go down that road myself.

feel free to offer opinions!

ta.

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

yes, that's the reason. as the g60 wwas designed as part car, part snowplough.

VW's market reearch showed that while the GTI was bought by people with an interest in home brewery and candle making, the G60 was the choice vehicle for professional snowman builders that up until now, found the GTI just couldn't get them to work on time.

the supercharger, or 'blower' was fitted primarily as a removable, hand-held snow blower that was more efficient than traditional designs.
    [​IMG]
    Edited by: darrynK

3. DarrenW Forum Junkie

4. darnold4 Forum Member

ok! thanks for the help (I guess I did ask for opinions without actually setting any ground rules!)

there is a requirement for snowchain clearance on most if not all cars sold in continental europe, particularly Scandinavia.

I know this because I've had to design Fiesta and Fusion inner wheelarch liners to fit over them as part of my job.

does anyone actually know the answer to my original question? is the only reason for excessive width of G60 trims to allow snowchain clearance on standard winter wheels?

5. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I think you've answered your own question there + it was quite likely to have aftermarket wheels fitted.

6. kirby Forum Junkie

I doubt it's for the snowchains mate cuz why would they think that only the g60 would need snow chains and not any of the other models?

I would say it is purely for aesthetic reasons, more aggressive styling for the sportier model.

7. Guests Banned

just get spacers on so the wheel doesnt get lost under the arch.

:)

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

G60 arch's and standard width wheels look utterly terrible.

But i guess it would have been purely for aesthetic reasons, decided by the same t**t to put such crap low offset wheels on the rallye :)

9. darnold4 Forum Member

Because the G60 is lower at the front. Once the requirement is there for a wider arch at the front, then styling may have dictated a need for wider arches at the rear too.

Also, if it's just a styling thing, why are G60 front wings cut way also? that's not even visible! if it was just for styling purposes they could have just moulded a wider plastic bit to fit to a standard mk2 wing......

Thanks Recardo for the spacer tip; I know that's what you're doing fella....also, did you consider using Passat wishbones instead? I heard they can be used to widen the front track of a mk2.....

but I'm not really up for spacers myself....each to their own, right?

I reckon I'll just use the GTI arches; they're easier to get hold of and replace if necessary, and they look better with standard track and standard G60 rims IMO.

yeah it's not "authentic" but it'll make the car more subtle anyway which is what I want.....

Thanks all!

10. darnold4 Forum Member

agreed!

11. rradogolfman Forum Member

g60 arches look like shelves sticking out the sides of the car, unless your running wide rims with a low offset stick with the std gti arches mate,,

12. darnold4 Forum Member

And another thing I just remembered....in my 1990 G60 brochure (!) the cars in the pics look very much like they have normal GTI arches on, not the crazy G60 ones.

Do you think VAG realised that they looked pants on the standard rims, and did the brochure with GTI arches to guarantee sales?

hmmm.....

13. Valver Forum Member

You mean high offset ie. sit too far into the arches?...

14. Guests Banned

hehe well spotted...the lower the offset the wider they stick out.

i think g60 arches can look perfect if done correctly....which a lot of the time it isnt. valver has them done perfectly and is the look im hoping to achieve.

15. Steve B Forum Junkie

i had them on my old car as thats the way it came but i never really looked into the width issues with my azevs

im going to have a look at some pics not to see if they look good [:D]

16. Steve B Forum Junkie

lol just looked at the pics and my car is so high up it looks like a tractor so you cant really see if the wheels fit the arches or not

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

Typo :)

18. pigbladder Forum Addict

c&r keep writing in the golf that g60's were like that cus of a wider subframe

ive got a g60 and a 16v mk2....cant say it looks differant [:s] [:s]

maybe someone can look up the bits on etka

19. Andy947 Forum Addict

The G60 does have a different subframe, but its a passat subframe, cos i'ver got the exact same one stitting in the shed, its got a large balance weight for some reason :)

But the drive shafts are the same as 16b ones, so it cant be wider:)

20. Chris H Forum Junkie

[:-B] :lol: