Audi 80 Quattro

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by shaz8389, Jun 9, 2010.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Just wondering what there is to know about these, my cousin has one in his drive he said I can have for nothing if I want to put it back on the road.

He said it's a 2.0 16v which I assume is a 6a engine? It's all the way in Scotland or I'd have gone and got it running already and taken it away, would be the perfect winter car for me really so just wondering what I should worry about on them and if I'm going to get myself in for something pretty extensive.

2. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Absolutely fecking brilliant.

The second best car Audi built after the 90 20v Q.

If it don't have a sunroof, and you don't want it I do!

3. Dave

OK, the 90 S2 was the best. But they were only LHD.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Audi badges always carry a premium, but at the end of the day you get a 6A (option for the Mk2?), whether the car is any good or not.

Get some pics. If it's no good, leave it in Scotland, and Dave can do some errands for me whilst he collects it.

5. Dave

I kid you not.

The B3 chassis is very stiff. The floor pan comes up the side of the sills. The roof is welded on at the back edge of the front wings, and at the back edge of the liitle side rear windows. Really tight structure.

That engines spins.

The steering is precise and has so much more feel that an A4.

Four struts, and lower wishbones work. You can put forgded wishbones off a 90 20v Q on there, with S2 hubs and 5 bolt wheels.

Can't really explain. But they really work.

6. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

6a if it's the B3 shape, ACE if it's the B4, same thing though really :)

Galvanised bodies too so they don't rot, it's suspension components that are supposed to be the killer!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i didnt think you could get a 4 cylinder quattro or is that just the B4 platform, not sure about B3

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Fuel consumption and parts prices are what you should worry about.

9. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

had a b3 for a few weeks last year. gotta admit that as a daily it was fantastic.. quiet, refined, rediculously solid. in fact ride quality was better than my old mans mk4!

would have kept it as a winter daily but the box was whining and as already mentioned.. parts would be pricey. not so much for services/engine/brakes etc as most is shared with other vag stuff but id suspect suspension/transmission parts would be the killer

10. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Pricey parts, I've got something that's a bit more pricey.

I might arrange to go up to Glasgow anyway before the winter to see people so I'll go and have a look at it, a freebie off a cousin isn't really something to say no to either. I THINK it'll be a B3 for some reason, if it's as good a car as Daved said it is then I'll probably end up keeping it in the long term... my mum does need a car aswell.

4 Pot Quattros, this correct or should it be something else?

11. Dave

All B2, B3 and B4 were available as 4 pots Qs. 5 pots were 90 Qs.

B3 16v - up to 1992 =6A
    B4 16v - 1992 to 1994 = 6A or ACE
    B4 16v - 1994 on = ACE

The B3 is better. It is shorter by 50mm on the ar5e end, and thus lighter. To my mind, B3s look better because of this. The B4 was brought out because the marketing people said the B3 boot was too small.
    I don't like the 'Smiley' grill on B4s either, but that's just personal taste again, so can be ignored.

DO NOT BE MISLEAD, by people saying that Qs are only for winter. The superior handling and road holding works in the dry as well. Burst a tyre half way around a bend, and you will still steer and stop the car. (done that) In the wet, you will be 100ms up the road while the G60 Corrado is still spinning wheels at the lights. (done that. My mate Matt., who was following me somewhere, was really pi55ed off that I had to wait for him, so he did not get lost)

The transmission is just about unburstable. And, is an easy conversion to 6 speed.

Oh! If it does not have a spoiler. My 90 Q Base model did not. Fit one. I fitted one quickly when the tail went uber light, at about 4500 in top, earholeing it around a bend.

B4 ditched the 5 cylinder, and used a V6 Truck Anchor. They had to get to 3.0L 24v before they could match the power of the 20vs.

12. prof Forum Addict

daved, do you still see beaky Mick and Titch? one for the oldies there ;)

13. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

If I had a Quattro I think I'd probably end up keeping it and ragging it about most of the year, they handle well in winter so in the dry they must be on rails.

14. Dave

No![:x] Just Dozy!:thumbup:

15. Benjo Forum Member

I doff my hat to you Dave, as that is some serious commitment to the cause. In fact, that's got to be the most extreme manouvre by any mechanic I've ever heard of! I have literally no idea how you would've maintained control at that speed whilst simultaneously reaching the backend of the car, holding the spoiler in place, carrying tools, & getting the bolts lined up. The logistics are mind boggling - you sir, are a hero!!;):thumbup::lol:

16. Dave

Ok, I had Bert Melia in the boot doing it for me.[:s]

No! I drove slowly home. Walked very gingerly into the bath room. Showered. Burnt the trousers. Phoned the dealers. Fitted a spoiler about two weeks later!

ps. If you don't know the story about Bert lying in the back of a Saab 96, during a Rally, holding the back axle on with a wire rope and a small winch. He had cut the hole in the floor with oxy/acc whilst one the move. Threw the oxy/acc out, when the hole was done. All the time Eric Carlsson was driving to win

17. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I think you want this Audi more than me now daved :-)

I really need to text him for a couple of pictures or to at least find out what year the bloody thing is.

18. Dave

Even Mrs daved says:"Bring it home tomorrow, Dave"!

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

All round it's a good idea if it's any kind of usable nick really, it means my mum can sell her hateful A Class and she can use the Audi or the Golf (or the Supra actually... where am I going to put 3 cars?)

20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I have a little more information.

It's a K Plate so that's B4? It's white... that'll break my streak of blue cars.

Does this mean it has the ACE engine instead of a 6a? Still K-Jet though?