Audi 80 Quattro

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by shaz8389, Jun 9, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Either engine according to post 11.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

It won't be pure Kjet by that age, I suspect - either KE or full motronic. I think.

3. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I make K reg 1993?

6A or ACE does not matter. They are identical in 99.9% of their components.. I did a lot of research on these two engines to try and work out what the differences were.. I can't remember exactly, I think it was the oil filter mounting? Chris might remember better?

Certainly nothing in the main engine components, cams, injection, etc.

Mike is correct. It will be KE Motronic. My 100 has this sytem. Most Audi 4 cyl 2.0L engines from 1988 to 1995 use KE Motronic. I am now a wizz with the system, as I spent 6 months trying to sort our running problems on the 100. In the end the local dealer gave me a VW Training Manual for the system which shed light on the problem. Runs like a dream now.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

In daved's words:

A late 6A is very similar to an ACE - you can spot them straight off because around the block skirt, lower front edge, the oil pump bulge is smoothed off by a widened skirt.

Early 6A (appears to have '90' stamped below cyl 2, ie 1990):

[​IMG]

Late 6A / ACE (appears to have '92' stamped below cyl 2, ie 1992 - this one is stamped ACE):

[​IMG]

5. Dave

Ta BBB. Forgot the TB was different, so my statement was a bit wrong![:$]

Never did sus. the difference though.[:s]

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I also found it ran before being parked but, first checks will probably be battery and fuel and go from there.

7. bt80k Forum Member

great car the b3 16vQ..i've had mine 8yrs now and love it:).you know what the 16v can offer but if that isn't enough the 5 pot 20v fits with not too much hassle and will bolt to the existing gearbox...pick the car up and use it for a while i doubt you'll be disapointed..:thumbup:

8. Dave

Yeah!

Or, you could fit the S2 motor, and have a RHD 90 S2, which we were not allowed, cos. UK & Irish dealers were more than happy to force the Coup crap down our throats, for more cash![:x]

Or, you could fit an RS2 motor and build the car that Porsche should have. AVANT ONLY![xx(]

And, do not forget, the six speed conversion is a piece of pi55!:clap:

PS. Iknow where there is a set of 90 20v/S2 front calipers and Berembo cross drilled front discs!:thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Also ACE coded engine use the latest 16v head i.e. 051103373D sans ABF inlet cam.
    Essentially this engine is the north south derivative of the post 94 Corrado 9A, just like the 6A motor is a derivative of the older 9A as found in the 31 code Passat and 1G North American Golf 2.

10. andy97 Forum Member

1993 makes it a B4. Audi built a ltd edition of the 80 quattro for compettion use in Europe - LHD only & 2 litre 16 valve. Used to win the French Super Tourisnme championship. The car was known as the "Audi 80 quattro Competition", I think, & had an Audi S2 front end styling with a splitter and rear wing.

This is an extract of the Wiki entry for the Audi 80 of the time:
    "All petrol versions could be ordered with quattro permanent four-wheel drive; at the time, however, it could only be combined with a five-speed manual transmission. Additionally, Audi built about 2500 units of the Quattro Competition for the German and European market. It was a street homologation of the B4-based Super Tourenwagen Cup (STW) race car saloon with four-wheel drive and a modified 140 PS, 16-valve, two-litre petrol engine. The powertrain had its roots in the two-litre, four-cylinder inline engines that most European Audi 80s were equipped with at the time. On the outside, the Quattro Competition featured the same bumpers as the S2, V6 headlights, and a rear wing mounted on the bootlid. Together with the S2 and the RS2 Avant, the Quattro Competition has become an increasingly rare and highly sought-after collector's item".

And this is a link to a picture: http://foorum.tarmotomson.net/audi_sport/audi_80_quattro_competition.jpg

Use the car in question to build a RHD replica of that - a very desirable car & race prepared would go well as a track day/ hill climb car or in a number of saloon series. I'd love one for CSCC Tin Tops!

11. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

So I want ABF inlet cam :thumbup: schweet as a nut.

I've decided if I like the car I'll put a 5 pot in and put the valver in the Mk2 and call it a day eventually.

Then I'll find something else that tickles my fancy.

12. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the 4 pot quattros must be pretty rare, i havent seen one before? or one for sale...

EDIT: just seen one on classic audi, not sure i would want all that quattro stuff on a 4 pot, the quattro box weighs as much a small horse!

13. andy97 Forum Member

Well, Audi won the BTCC (and others, also see Post #30) with one!!!

14. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

won the BTCC with a 80?

the link wont work whilst im at work.

15. prof Forum Addict

16. andy97 Forum Member

No, but the A4 that won the BTCC was still a 4 pot quattro.

17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

im not that young andy... I was trying to point out that a std 2l engine with all the quattro gear wont by any means be quick!

18. Dave