Audi S2 Brakes on a Mk2 Golf - Photos!

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by pj_sibley, Jan 9, 2011.

1. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

I'm pleased to say that I have now successfully fitted and tested Vauxhall Meriva 1.7 CDTi 280x25mm discs under the Audi S2 brake caliper setup on a Mk2 Golf!!

We fitted the discs on Saturday, having had the centre bore machined out from 60mm to 65mm to fit onto the Mk2 hub. We used two off 1.5mm "Form B" flat M12 washers to space out the caliper carrier and caliper, which centres the disc very nicely. Due to the increased surface/pad contact area offered by the Meriva discs, there isn't the step you get with the G60 discs. The brakes felt very solid and powerful using Pagid pads and the extra thermal mass (25mm vs. 22mm) will certainly come in useful on track. With the extra disc thickness, there should be no problem runing the slightly thinner Mintex 1155 pads (MDB1819).

Suffice to say that, after this weekend's track day, I'll be upgrading to a Brembo / Mintex 1155 setup front and rear.

Photos to follow in the very near future :)

2. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Just to keep this thread updated....I'm pleased to report that the Mervia disc / S2 caliper combo is working really well so far. Two trackdays done with plain discs and Pagid pads, virtually no fade and very strong performance all round. If you're running S2 calipers and don't want a step in your pads, I'd certainly recommend switching over to Meriva discs! Just need to get the 25.4mm master cylinder installed now.

Will be ordering the Brembo Max discs and Mintex 1155 pads soon....

3. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Just to confirm:

The pistons are 40mm Dia and 45mm Dia.

[​IMG]

I hate these things, they are so heavy. They won't be going back on the 90Q 20V.

When the 90 20V Q first came out with these brakes, the complaints from the test drivers were that they: 'Graunched, Graunched, Graunched'

I can confirm this. I tried so many different pads it was ridiculous. They all broke up at, the first serious application of the middle pedal. So, I contacted Mintex Competition Dept. and had them make me a set in 1144. I chose this material cos. it has higher friction mu and better shear strength than 1155. They did not perform any better. It was not until I fitted Brembo Group N Cross Drilled Discs and Brembo Fast Road Pads that the thing stopped properly.

[​IMG]

4. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Interesting feedback. Will keep plugging away with them on my track car and see how they age / perform.

5. G2T

G2T Forum Member

Just some more feedback on this, having had a pax ride in Pete`s car at Pembrey they do indeed work very well, compared to my own car running plain 280`s with type 54`s and ds2500 pads which performed great, this set up felt sharper and more sure, even with cheap discs and stock pads.

Having a look around I`m not usre if these are relevant, but someone might be able to confirm

http://www.apbrakediscs.co.uk/front-brembo-max-brake-discs-vauxhall-meriva-1700cc-16v-cdti.html

It would be interesting to hear feedback from anyone who has run the s2 mcyl on a mk2 with 280`s and the type 54 calipers.

6. Whittle Forum Member

fitted some to my mk1 almost 2 years ago;

Diy brackets made from wood then in stainless

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fit under g60s contrary to popular belief;

[​IMG]

7. gingertoss New Member

Found this thread as I have the Audi s2 callipers on g60 discs with EBC yellow pads. This set up wasn't up to the job at Cadwell Park.
    I am going to get the brembo discs mentioned in this thread but does anyone know a machine shop that can groove these discs for me?

Cheers

8. racer66 Forum Member

Could anyone measure the total thickness of the Vauxhal disc, from hub face to front face of disc or the rear if easier. I am looking for a deeper disc than the g60 offset to fit my Wilwoods. Think the S2 disc have the deep offset required, so hoping these will too.

9. drego786 New Member

to sum it up what would be the recomendation for the set-up S2 caliper/carrier Vauxhall Meriva 1.7 CDTi 280x25mm discs/with the centres milled out./ two off 1.5mm "Form B" flat M12 washers to space out the caliper carrier and caliper, which centres the disc very nicely and 25.4mm master cylinder froman Audu S2 or VR6 master-cylinder this is what i have concluded from reading this thread but please dont quote me on the above information as i am using it strictly for notes cheers

http://www.apbrakediscs.co.uk/front-brembo-max-brake-discs-vauxhall-meriva-1700cc-16v-cdti.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-mk2-G...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45ec814160

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Front-Brembo-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5889aa1277

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  10. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

That's about it, yes :thumbup:

However, you need the 4-stud variant of the Meriva disc (09.9159.10), which also happens to be half the price!! For track use, the most suitable pads I can find for S2 caliper fitment are Mintex M1155 from Camskill, which they confirmed are the correct fitment. The discs need boring out to 65mm with the correct chamfer - my local machine shop did this for 20 on my 'test' discs.

If you don't mind a step appearing on your pads, then you could use G60 discs (so, no "Form B" flat M12 washers required to space caliper), in which case you can also use different pad compound more easily due to the thinner discs (22mm vs. 25mm) e.g. EBC Yellowstuff (DP4711R), Mintex regular compound (MDB1485) etc.

I've actually ended up using the Eicher disc / Pagid pad 'test' setup on track all season and they've been more than up to the job. Still running the standard Mk2 16v master cylinder, but have ATE Super Blue fluid, Goodridge braided hoses and brake cooling ducts installed. I've just purchased the Brembo discs I've listed above and will be purchasing the Mintex M1155 pads to go with them - I'll report back on performance soon.

11. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Search on the Brembo website using the reference code 09.9159.10 and you'll get the technical diagram with all of the measurements :thumbup:

For reference, the total thickness you describe looks to be 42mm.

12. Rusty_McRusty New Member

The section of the 'bell' that mounts to the hub is thicker on the Vauxhall discs and so it pushes the front wheels out about 2mm per side. The OD is also a little bit bigger than the S2 item and can catch a bit of corrosion on the caliper, when hot. Skimming the discs to 276mm would make it all spot on but adds to the cost and complexity of the conversion. Still, it's more of a reliability mod than an out-and-out racer mod, due to the weight increase.

The next level on this brake setup would be to modify a Porsche Boxster monoblock (421/422) to S2 carrier to fit with the Meriva discs, as they're much closer to the thickness of the OE Boxster disc (24mm). The idea would be to fit them under 15" wheels and reduce the weight by quite a bit, as well as give an increased number of pad options... all on a budget, of course :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  13. Dave

These should fit?

S1 Discs 295mm Dia. With built in spacers to suit 9 x 15 wheels.

[​IMG]

Still available from Audi Classic Parts. 215 ea.

14. Rusty_McRusty New Member

Mmmmmm NOS S1 parts... Guessing they're 5x112 though, so no use for a Golf, unfortunately.

I've got 425/426 Monoblocks on my S2 with 314mm A8 discs and can still fit the OE 16s under them for my winter tyres, which is nice.

15. Dave

You need to convert the front hubs to Mk2 8V VWMS spec.

Bore out for Passat brgs.

Use Audi 90Q 20V rear outer CV Joints.

Use S2 rear hubs 5 x 112.

16. Rusty_McRusty New Member

Sounds pretty comprehensive!

17. Stupidog New Member

Ok 4 Questions, sorry if they are stupid......[:s]

1. Meriva Disks in the line are 5 hole, do you just phone an ask for 2 hole ?

2. I looked on vorex and they seem to say you can use the S2 Calliper and Carrier...is that right ?

3. The M12 washer between the calliper and and carrier, is that 2 washer per bolt ot two per caliper, one per bolt

4. Does the S2 276 disk work?

18. Rusty_McRusty New Member

1. Brembo part number 09.9159.10 - either HC (plain) or Max (grooved) . You need to have the centre bore enlarged to 65mm (65.000 min, 65.074mm max on Brembo drawing) and then a 3.5mmx45deg to 4mmx45deg chamfer cut in to allow for the radius on the hub (use an old Golf disc to show what needs to be done).

Check out the 1.7 DTI (lower section) here - http://www.nextdaybrakes.com/info-part-finder?make=Vauxhall&model=Meriva&engine=1.7000&year=2003

2. You have to use both the S2 calliper and carrier - it's bolt on to a mk.2 Girling hub with separate carrier.

3. There is 1 off 2mm thick M12 washer per bolt, thus spacing the carrier from the hub by 2mm. IIRC, these are form B washers, as Form A are too thick at 2.5mm or so. This might vary a little from car to car though (we're talking about 20 year old parts), so best to check disc to carrier clearance once fitted!

4. The S2 disc will not work due to hat height and 5x112 bolt pattern (vs. 4x100) - the Meriva option is the same thickness and has very nearly the right hat height. Just check that the OD of the disc doesn't rub on corrosion on the calliper - Pete's have done this to a very small degree.

HTH

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  19. KentGTiKR Forum Member

I'm running audi S2 Girling 60 with 280mm brake disc
    Few old pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Stupidog New Member

@ Rusty
    thanks for that, the gear I've just bought has a (eBay) has a 4 hole disk so I'll have to see what it is when it arrives, the piston is the 2 calliper though [:s]

@KentGTiKR
    Can't see the pics just a frozen frog ?