Audi TT mk1 VR6 Timing chain woes

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Dennis10, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Hi guys,

I've been noticing this noise quite alot over the last few months. Please CLICK on thumbnail and have a listen...

[​IMG]

I'm fairly sure it is the dreaded timing chain issue that Audi refuse to acknowledge - possibly a faulty tensioner or tensioner bolt causing a bit of slack in the chain and chain slap - hence the noise. Can anyone confirm this for me from the video?

I've checked the chains on VCDS and they report -4 and -6, so I dont think the chains are stretched, certainly not enough to log a fault code or anything

Can anyone recommend somebody who is experienced and reasonably priced for this job? Which I understand is not a simple drive in and drive out, requiring front end off and dropping DSG box etc.

If I supply the parts are there any particular manufacturers or brands I should steer clear of, or are all kits the same?

[8(]

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

that sounds normal to me they are a bit noisy at times some of that noise could be the breather in the cam cover
    if you take oil filler off and put your ear to it how dose it sound then?
    plus the reading your getting is not bad

a friend of mine had the chain's on his r32 stretch one was -7 the other you couldn't read it was that far out

3. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Cheers for the reply Mushy - however I don't think the phone video is doing the sound justice, are you listening on proper computer speakers or your phone? This sound definitely wasn't there a few months ago and certainly not when I bought it as I specifically listened for chain related noises, being the VR6 engine.

If I take oil filler off it sounds the same to be honest, the same kind of marbles in a can sort of sound.

I don't think it is stretched though, I reckon it is more a lack of tension problem causing it to make noise over the guides - this is my own personal opinion - I'm going to take it to someone who has worked on this before and will have it checked out.

If it is the oil breather, is there a remedy for this, or a way I can eliminate this as a culprit?

4. MUSHY 16V

it is common for people to change the tensioner bolt on the back of the head just because it's easy to do

your video sounds the same as my engine but as you say it's hard to hear on a phone or pc

no harm in getting someone to have a look thats for sure

the cam cover has a cyclone oil separator the diaphragm can split
    how makes the names up for this things
    it's basicly a pcv valve
    but if that happens you hear a whistle noise so don't think thats the problem

5. MUSHY 16V

just thinking you could take off the vac pipe off of the breather and plug it
    then start the engine to see if the noise go's

the valve in the breather limits the vacuum from the inlet manifold could it be this pulsing ?

i know i sometimes get a noise from the manifold changeover valve that sounds like a death rattle as soon as you put your hand on the leaver for it
    it stops
    wonder if the valve in the breather could be doing the same ?

long shot maybe

6. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I took it to a workmates mechanic friend today and he also thought definitely timing chain related, rather than DMF or oil breather.

I've been reading that it could be tensioner related and that there could be quite a simple fix to try before stripping off all the DSG box etc to get to the chains and guides themselves - replacing the tensioner bolt itself on the rear, is this feasible and should it be something I should try before parting with bucket loads of cash for timing chain replacement?

Apparently this bolt can get gunked up and not maintain the correct hydraulic pressure on the tensioner itself, is it possible for me to do this myself fairly easily?

7. MUSHY 16V

aye it just screws out and screw the new one in worth a try
    i notice with mine i get no noise when i first start it's only when hot you hear that noise
    mine is just due a oil change soon

8. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I'm struggling to find an image of where this bolt is situated so I can have a look - don't suppose you have any photos lying around that show this? I can see on various technical diagrams, but can't see how this actually bolts in - does it bolt to the cam cover/case?

9. MUSHY 16V

Found this on the net you can see the bolt on the lower cover [​IMG]

10. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Cheers Mushy - I just went down and had a look in my own engine bay!

[​IMG]

The big black bolt to the right of the smaller blue-ish looking bolt yes?

This looks pretty simple and easy to replace, I guess I wouldn't lose any oil either since it would all be sitting in the sump?

11. MUSHY 16V

Aye that's it and as you said you should lose any oil

Dennis10 likes this.
  12. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Thanks for all your assistance Mushy :thumbup:

It can't hurt to change this first, the way my luck is at the moment, it probably wont make a blind bit of difference, but hey - everyone loves a trier! lol

13. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

One last question - anyone know where I can find this bolt to buy in a shop, so I can fit it same day?!

I think p/n is 066109507D

I only seem to be able to find it on ebay, and I doubt I'll get it before Christmas at this rate!

I've checked Eurocarparts/carparts4less and GSF - all out of stock or not listed

*EDIT* I found the bolt for sale on Amazon - Febi p/n 32786 - delivered next day to a drop box area just round the corner from me!

I just have a question about replacing the bolt that concerns me - Any special instructions for replacing the bolt, do I need to prime the bolt or fill with oil somehow? Also am I safe just swapping the bolts over? I'm not going to let the chain go too slack and jump off the teeth or anything am I?!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  14. MUSHY 16V

I'd stay clean of anything made be Febi some of their stuff is shocking
    You should get this from tps next day I would think

Not sure about fitting it but priming it sounds a good idea
    Was going to say that last night

15. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Hmm, I've never had an issue with Febi before - these seem to be the only manufacturers of this part that I could find after hours of searching. I also visited their site and had a look at the spec sheet for this product. Each and everyone is full tested before going on sale (apparently)

Anyway - I've purchased it now, can't be much worse than what I already have! Thanks anyway Mushy!

Question still stands regarding swapping out and priming bolt, anyone have an answer?! Might go on facebook and ask the question..

16. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

More reading on replacing timing chains - seems Audi recommend to replace the VVT adjusters - is this typical a typical Audi bluster / price hike - are these really a part that need replacing? Apparently they've bumped their price up to around 250 each and I need 2 of them. Used to be under 100 each. :thumbd:

If it is just chains/guides/tensioners/sprockets then I'm almost good to go..

17. MUSHY 16V

not a lot of people seem to change the VVT adjusters and at that price i can see why
    i think you'll be fine with just the two sprockets and the rest of the parts you've listed the smaller of the two sprockets is the most important one its the one that gets the most wears

take it the adjuster bolt made no difference?

18. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I was weighing up whether to bother replacing just the bolt - I'm still waiting for the oil to arrive, so have nothing to prime the bolt with anyway yet. Also I was thinking no point to replace bolt without a good oil change, and if it makes no difference then I've wasted the new oil.. I don't know - I'm confused as to where to start in all honesty [:s]

19. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Hope you get it sorted Dennis. These 24v engines are a pita compared to the ABF eh?

20. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

So I am sh*t out of luck with this damn tensioner bolt -

You were right about the crap build quality of Febi, Mushy. Or maybe I was just extremely unlucky? :cry:[8(]

Went to install the new bolt and while 'priming' it in a bowl of brand new oil, the bloody thing detonated and the piston shot out of the bottom, punching a hole through my oil bowl, spilling half a litre of oil all over the communal underground garage and firing whatever internals were contained within the tensioner bolt all over the distant reaches of the garage floor. Very unhappy [:x]

I'm assuming this shouldn't happen?! They aren't supposed to come apart?

This is what I managed to recover, not sure if it is even all the parts I should have..

[​IMG]

Obviously can't use this now so had to reinstall the old tensioner bolt. More woes - while on idle it is fine, it now sounds much, much worse when applying throttle - to the point where I am scared to drive it in case it destroys the engine. [xx(]

The old bolt showed definite staining where the bolt had possibly been stuck for quite awhile - is it probable I've caused it to tension even less than it was by fiddling with it?

Only problem is all the replacement parts seem to be Febi made - was I just unlucky with this one?! What did I do wrong? Now I need to buy another one to try and fit

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014