Audi TT RS - So there's a new 5 cylinder, 4-valver on the block...

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by A.N. Other, Jun 11, 2009.

1. goblinracing10 Forum Member

if you want an r36 in a mk2 golf or tt then talk to storm developments as they have already done the conversion. they are currently in the process of supercharging it for huge loads of power

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. James_mk2 Forum Member

I believe they've already supercharged the R36 and maxed out the injectors at around 600bhp/700lb.ft of torque, they're now (or were last time i talked to a friend who spends a fair bit of time down there) putting it in a TT quattro as the Mk2 clearly didn't have a hope in hell of putting the power down.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

As far as I am aware Storm does not use the direct injection strategy on their projects.

4. paul_c Forum Member

I wonder how they do it then? As I understand things, a direct injection petrol engine is engineered very differently to older methods. Basically because its set up for heterogeneous operation (very lean running) (but that tends towards stoich on WOT). For example, its compression ratio will be a bit higher and the relationship between the injector and spark plug is much more critical. Also there might be other methods such as swirl chambers in the piston or other shape differences in the head which relate to the injection.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A mate of mine is pretty sure it's a Mexico-made 2.5 N/A engine for the US market, now wiv a turbo in the TT.

It's definitely in Jettas over there.

6. Toyotec

It will be a version of this, more than likely with the appropiate NVH updates.

7. Toyotec

They run the engine with a PFI fuel rail and injectors in heterogenesus rich λ < 1 mode via a MBE controller. This same methd they used on they so called 2.0 "FSI".

Regarding Di engines, yes they can run stratfied charges i.e. λ >> 1.5 but this is just during part load conditions. The switch between this mode of operation (unthrottled) and conventional operation is still being experimented with.
    As emissions stds become tighter many engines will be required to run lambda 1 at WOT but many still need enrichment at certain revs to protect components.
    Di engine can run much higher compression due to the cooling effect of injecting fuel @ 150bar+ directly into the cylinders. This increases the det threshold and the abilty to improve responsiveness.
    The heads tend to be similar, but not exatly the same to regular PFi motors, it is the pistons that are shaped to guide fuel mixture towards spark plug. This aids having a homogeneous mixture.

8. micky1 Forum Member

homoenous....what a lovely word.

i've installed a few homogenisers. they break up the milk fats and allow you to have skimmed, semi skimmed milk!

9. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  10. lufbramatt Forum Member

i saw one of these last night, in black, looked and sounded very nice indeed.

im sure the block is the same as the us-spec jetta/golf 5-cyl engine, but modified to accept a head and turbo off the RS6 V10.