Auto clutch - is this the cause?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by gti_kev, Jun 14, 2006.

1. gti_kev Forum Member

Well, picked it up off gsf today and it was the right one :clap:

Took me half an hour to change over! :)

Feel daft asking all the questiions now over such a simple job!

I have not taken her out for a spin yet to see if the auto clutch was causing the slip (as i have had 5 cans) well footies on init :)

One question, the big rubber gromet that press between the end of the clutch, i took off the auto and thread the end of the manual one through, this is right isn't?

Cheers come on TOGO!!!

O yeah She passed the MOT today, so she's going to reach her 17th birthday this year :)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

do you mean the round chunky bit that sits on the gearbox where the cable passes thru to the lever? If so, yep :)

3. gti_kev Forum Member

Yep, and ta!

Just need to get the smaller size wire holder now! or lots of tape :)

4. gti_kev Forum Member

Ok, been driving it for a while and i still get the kangaroo when pulling off anything over 2000rpm! It's like wheni pull off say at 3000rpm, the car will go then power drops and then comes back, the revs actually drop!

I do get like a bad vibration as well, could this be the gear box mounts, whould they cause this, because when i am pulling off at high revs the engine as obviously been forced forward.

So it's not the autoclutch causing it, gear change seems alot smother with the manual one though, but less sesitive for some reason!

Any ideas guyz?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Check the 2 bolts holding the geabox mount bracket to the gearbox. Sometimes these are fitted the wrong way round and the end of the bolts hit the chassis leg. Also check the gearbox mount, if it looks like its leaking 'stuff' its shot and needs replacing, get a 16v/1.3 solid rubber mount though.

6. gti_kev Forum Member

Thnaks, i'll check them out, i'll have to battle with the haynes as i am not sure where those bolts are! do you ahve a pic or is there a diagram somewhere ;)

So you think my theory (again) could cause these symptoms?