Basic intercooler question

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by harry_the_cake, Aug 29, 2004.

1. edc1 Forum Member

Have a search on sc.net, there was a co on there that made one to fit Ibiza, can't remember the name but there are countless fmic threads on it.

2. Lee-GTi Forum Member

WHY don't you go for charge cool!!! ;)
    just to though a spanner in the works i think there down to around 600 phone jabba!!
    You might find one from a toyota GT4 or a focas RS!! :lol:

3. milly New Member

Or try EBAY
    There was one on there yesterday and it was still under 50.00. with a couple of days to go.
    Just an idea!!

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Also consider twin pass can also loose you MORE pressure loss

5. Sam_Rallye Forum Member

Make your own? Buy a core and fabricate ends...

I have always been told ic's with inlet and outlet at the same end
    aren't as good, never got a reason why mind you...

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I was made to believe that you could use a fan to increase airflow around the intercooler to make it a little more efficient. This wrong?

7. trendy tramp Forum Member

because you are asking a large mass of high velocity air with a lot of momentum to make a very tight 180 degree turn. The air will collide with the outer edge of the end-tank and cause a flow disturbance and interrupt any air flow that does manage to make the turn. The disturbance to flow causes a pressure drop.

how's that for a reason?

tt

8. Sam_Rallye Forum Member

A bit more accurate than 'they're crap' :lol:

9. trendy tramp Forum Member

:lol:

tt

10. Ahh, bugger. The reason I thought about the FMIC with the inlet/outlet on the same side is because forge do one for the MK4. See pic below.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/images/large/fmic2.jpg

Is this intercooler aload of pap??

Okay, all this pressure drop stuff has got me worried. Perhaps the K03s/K04, just can't handle too much pipe work.

The only reason I'm getting a FMIC is that fact that I'll be running a K03s or K04 that will be spooling up faster than Audi intended so I assumed it will be creating alot more heat.

So would I be better sticking with the Forge uprated side mount IC or just fitting the second IC from an S3/TT?? [:s]

11. trendy tramp Forum Member

a 10% drop in temperature that accompanies a 10% increase in pressure will still gain you more overall if the charge temps are high. However I would guess that yo will gain a lot more than 10% better charge cooling with a front mount for a slightly highr pressure drop. The main thing is you'll have the capacity to cool the charge further. Don't worry too much about the pressure drop for your application. If you were wringing every last drop of performance out of the package I would say do worry - but for a road application as long as the package is on the whole OK you'll be fine. I definitely wouldn't consider a side mount over a front mount unless you can ADEQUATELY duct into and out of the cooler at ll speeds.
    The only other thing you could do is run a normal front mount and possibly run another manifold with the throttle on he opposite side??? (i presume that's your problem at the moment - throttle and hot side ducting on the same side) - don't know how much room you have though.

tt

tt

12. trendy tramp Forum Member

the fan migh be useful if you were stuck in traffic but at high speed it would be likely to impede the flow

tt

13. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Ah, understood.

14. Yeah, the Celica GT4 boys use a fan under the bonnet scoop to keep the intercooler cold in traffic - never saw much point, myself. I've never found the need for huge horsepower when stuck in a traffic jam..... [:D]

15. mechsoldier Forum Member

you could look at Dodge, the Srt 4 comes with an ok size intercooler I think 9 x 18 x 4 or something like that. I think dealer price is like 279 dollars. Not sure about the way the end tanks are setup.

16. Jeff Forum Junkie

but when the traffic clears and your IC is hot from sitting there with no air going through it, its not going to cool the charge much as you pull away ;)

17. tdi rs New Member

Whats the intercooler for if your running less than 5psi boost you dont need 1,if you are and moneys tight turbo diesel intercoolers are the best s/h way to go as they have less pressure drop due to internal core size and lso they run higher boost pressure than petrol engines.Truck intercoolers are very efficient in there original size but to get 1 to fit your car u would have to cut it down then thet dont work so good.Take a look in a book called turbo boost that will give you some ideas.

18. trendy tramp Forum Member

i'd tend to disagree generally about TDI and truck interoolers being more efficient. all of our suppliers at work build our IC's to spec and then find ways of cutting costs. This always means a reduction in performance (i've never seen otherwise) and it is always the cheapest part that makes production. As other parts go over costs they'll eke every last penny out of every component. Large truck IC's are also built to be less susceptible to stone damage etc due to the huge number of miles they do. This construction also tends to reduce IC efficiency a little. the materials, construction, process of assembly, and end tanks design are all different from truck/commercial to passenger vehicle.

you are right though that at low boost pressures an IC isn't a necessity but would be recommended for situations when the car is idle/low speed for sustained periods

tt
    tt

19. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

wot is the maxium boost pressure on a diesel without cooler? 13psi?

20. tdi rs New Member

I think above all else the size of a truck intercooler is part of the reasons they are efficient,we've chopped a few truck coolers up to use on Golfs/Beetles but they had the internal tubes crimped diagonally to keep the air in the cooler longer so it cools more,great when its big not so great when its small.A golf diesel with no cooler runs about .6bar boost.Of course the other question is what will you use the car for high speed or round town.If its high speed intercooler but if its round town a chargecooler.