Been a while since I was on here..... update?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by S1MMA, Aug 1, 2008.

1. prof Forum Addict

absolutely

resale is poor at the mo tho especially for high milers

2. S1MMA Forum Member

yeah, I noticed this also - prices have dropped in the last couple of years especially.

Some people are buying on shoe string budgets because of the low prices also, which is making buying a used Coupe a minefield. I laugh when I read "can't afford to maintain/repair/petrol" in ad's when selling Coupe's, they're the ones to run away from at 100mph, probably not something you should advertise when selling!

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Hang on, I think ive got confused here![:$]
    Its the latest Boxster shape. Do i mean 987?:lol:
    Its a 2WD S anyway. No 4WD on a Box..

Have tested a 911 and it was beautiful. Red with cream leather. But was about 70k. Just couldnt stretch to that[8(]

Im driving the Lupo. The carrado was another forums members he was breaking, I let him use my unit carpark as he was tight for space:)

4. S1MMA Forum Member

Oh, so your dad has a 987 Boxster S, not a 911? Were you looking at getting a 911 or your dad? Bit confusing (like it used to be if I remember correctly!)! Does his boxster have the old engine or the newer 3.4 with 295bhp?

The 987 Boxsters are still great cars, but just that bit less hardcore than the Cayman. If you want the roof down, then it's the way to go!

5. mat-mk3

We both tested the 911 but with the intention of him buying it. I cant afford one!:lol:

Its the 3.2. The 3.4's are only in the really new ones i think?

I want a sport button in my Lupo[:^(] :lol:

6. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

blimey,

mk3 gti >fiat coupe > cayman s> possibly a 911 gt3!!

you obviously don't work in insurance like I thought you did back then...... [:s]

7. S1MMA Forum Member

The 3.4 is in the really new one's you're right, also the same engine in my car. Sport buttons are great, I also have the PASM suspension, where you get another button to stiffen the suspension! That's fun too!

8. S1MMA Forum Member

Still work in insurance, still for the same Swiss insurer as 4 years ago. Bit higher up than I was back then, and a bit of hard work later, and here I am!

9. S1MMA Forum Member

Ok, another update from me.

Left the UK, moved to Dubai about 3 months back. Had to sell the Cayman S as you can't register right hand drive cars over here. Was sad to see it go, and in the last few months of ownership I stuck a tubi on it and thoroughly enjoyed the noise! Sounded like an italian exotic!

Moved here with the intention of buying something sensible, so started to look for an X5 or Cayenne. Old models here were pretty much all beaten up, the sand wears the pain down (swirls from washing etc...) and gets everywhere. So started to look for newer 4x4 barges. Actually considered buying a Cayenne GTS in white, but then I woke up from this horrible dream and bought a proper car. See pics....

What's the update here? 2 years on something interesting must have happened! Fill me in!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/S1MMA/GT3/IMG_2390.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/S1MMA/GT3/IMG_0395.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/S1MMA/GT3/IMG_0390.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010
  10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Wibble. I want your GT3.

11. prof Forum Addict

Nice car, is it becoming a ghost town over there?

12. mat-mk3

Man that looks good!
    Nice place to have a car like that!

13. S1MMA Forum Member

prof, it's still fairly busy here - construction works are down across the board in Dubai although plenty still happening in Abu Dhabi, lots happening in Saudi/Qatar/Kuwait etc....

Financial sector has suffed a shock especially those who's main business was property investment/development related activities, although plenty of growth in other sectors like Insurance.

The old days of people making crazy amounts of money from flipping property and sitting on their arses all day have stopped, I think everything that has happened has been for the good actually and it got rid of a lot of the idiots and dickheads that were here.

trackday season starts now, I'm ready and up for it!!!

14. Admin Guest

are the carparks still littered with exotica from those who up'd and left when the crash happened?

15. S1MMA Forum Member

A lot of that was bs, I went to the old airport terminal last month and there was 1 car in the car park that looked like it had been there for a while. Yes people left when they lost their jobs and couldn't pay their credit card bills/motrgage/car payments, but a lot of people were so highly geared up and in debt that its not really surprising.

Here there isn't the option to declare yourself bankrupt and start fresh, if you owe money it's a criminal offence and you go to jail, hence why people just left the country. You'd think that someone with savings living within their means would be able to survive for a while between jobs, but if you are totally over your head then one missed pay cheque equals doom, so they ran away.

It's actually done a lot of good for the place, and as above lots of the muppets trying to live a lifestyle way above their means have left with egg on their face. You actually have to earn a living the old fashioned way here in Dubai, the estate agents aren't getting paid 3 x what doctors make any more! Thank **** for that eh.....

16. Admin Guest

sounds like a nice rebalance.

so how much do GT3's go for and can you use it to its full potential there?

17. S1MMA Forum Member

Bit of a thread resurrection!

Im back in a VW! Any old timers still around?

18. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Depends who you consider oldtimers ! Me, Gurds, Toyotec, Rubjonny, TonyB , etc?

19. S1MMA Forum Member

I think even before that, half of them may have been banned at some stage also! no worries I'll start a new thread......