Blue LED bulbs

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Admin, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Admin Guest

Click

Or these

found these for sale online for any1 converting from green dash bulbs to blue leds
    Edited by: Dave

2. paulgti16v Forum Member

nice find [:D] :clap:

3. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

theres some for sale on ebay. and UV ones.

4. Steve Allen Forum Member

Posted enquiry to find out how many I need, I will have a go soon

5. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i bought some UV ones from ebay bout 6 months ago. still not gotten around to fitting them [:$]

6. spaced Forum Member

How many do you think you'd need?

And also what about the switches, changing the colour of them? I was going to do this mod ages ago, but got subdued as nothing like this was on the net then

Simon

7. N11K DJ Forum Member

I'd like to do this too, change all the green bulbs to bright blue led's..

Can anyone shed some light on how many of what type are need for a Mk3?

8. dirtydubber Forum Member

Only one prob though. The original bulbs aren't green. There is a piece of transparent green plastic that acts as a filter to make them appear green. This is not the easiset thing in the world to, involving taking the instrument cluster apart, and this in turn is sealed together by melting the plastic retaining pins down. Nice idea though, and it will make an interesting colour through the green filter.

9. spaced Forum Member

I guess if you just remove the green filter then it will look alright.

I removed the green filter and tried it with a blue one, but the LEDs arent bright enough.

10. Admin Guest

It works fine, when taking the green strip off and using the LED itself without adding another strip :)

11. Steve Allen Forum Member

Anyone done it and can show pictures of what it looks like in the dark, Still thinking about it but dont fancy stripping the gauges just incase anything goes wrong ;)

12. tomlaw Forum Member

What about the heater controls? Is the green filter in there accessable/removable? I replaced my clock lights not long since with bulbs. Not too bad to do, somehow managed to do it without taking the radio out! ;)

13. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

So all I would have to do is un-assemble the gauge cluster and remove the filter, then install some of those LED's with built in resistors in place of the bulbs and it should be ok? Or should I sand the end of the LED down to diffuse the light too? Could I do the same with the heater controls ?

14. ee00jcb Forum Member

Does any one know if the "twist and fit" ones fit a MK1, dont fancy removing my instruments just to find out.

James

15. spaced Forum Member

Not sure matey - I haven't seen the guts of a MK1 clock!!

you will probs find out here soon enough though :)

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I replaced the bulbs on mine without doing the filter and the LEDs are bright enough to make the clocks shine blue still!
    Unfortunately the digital clock is far too dark with a blue LED so I guess you would need to remove the green filter to make it bright enough.
    I just left the bulb in for now so I have blue clocks and a green digital clock, which still looks pretty damn good. I'll get a piccy tonight for ya.

I've also fitted the heater controls with LEDs but its much harder to do cos the back is glued on pretty tight! I'm thinking about putting together a tutorial if anyone is interested?
    Edited by: rubjonny

17. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

I'm very interested mate with the tutorial would you be able to post step by step pictures as I know there are sites with that on but they are still not all that clear even without pics it would still be really usefull. would it be the same process for my 1.3 gauges? with the clock instead of rev counter?

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I was talking about a guide on moddin' the heater controls :)
    For the dials there's great tutorials on 4130-Products:
    How to remove the clusters
    How to change cluster lighting

Skip the first few steps in the engine bay where he unplugs the speedo cable, as you probably don't have a split there its usually all one piece. The hardest part of the removal is getting your hand round the back to unplug the speedo cable, I found I could reach round from the left behind the metal support bracket. Its a right btard tho cos the clip is bloody tight!

If there is anything you ain't clear about in those guides feel free to ask as I've removed my clusters loads of times and stripped em down loads too (swapped over a speedo and fitted a white dial kit)

The 1.3 clocks procedure would be exactly the same, but simpler as you dont have a digital clock to worry about, so only 2 bulbs need doing! :)
    Edited by: rubjonny

19. tomlaw Forum Member

Just replaced my dash bulbs, job is a bit of a pig to do, especially if you put it all back together and realise you didn't re-connect the speedo cable! [:x]
    Defo gonna invest in some dash bulbs, and maybe some sidelights!
    I hacksawed the end off the socket on the back of the heater controls after wrestling with trying to get it apart. I pushed out what was left of the original light and in the round hole that was left put a red fairy light bulb! Looks pretty cool!

20. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

Ahh brilliant so it's just a case of taking out the green filter and putting in some of those led's with inbuilt resistors in place of the bulbs? Oh and would there be any way for me to stick a gti gauge in with the rev counter? how could I hook that up to my car?
    Edited by: Mk2GolfBoy