Britain's fastest speeder

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Seraph, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

of course it is. He showed blatent disregard for anyone else doing that sort of speed. I just don't have a problem with speeding when it's done sensibly.

2. inoakgreen Forum Member

...and i was gonna say me caravan shakes about too much at 155!!!

3. inoakgreen Forum Member

if the law says its acceptable for person 'A' (competant driver) to do 100+ in his brand new porsche, then person 'B' (young person, just passed), in his 1lt micra will think 'well why cant i do that?? i can outdrive anyone!!' and so would person 'C' (old biddy, in 40yr old moggy) who'd think 'i been driving for yrs - i'm experienced'. it would just be ridiculus if the decision on how fast you go was your own!! absolutely no-one would admit they were going too fast for the conditions!!! and its no good for the police to decide one person was traveling too fast, once the inevitable crash happened because by that time it may be too late!!!

4. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

but it is mate, you press the accellerator and off you go. I think you're missing the point a little.
    I'm not arguing the law, speed limits are speed limits, but they don't control your speed they just say what's legal.

5. inoakgreen Forum Member

absolutely!! you do press the accellerator and off you do go, but if you get caught going above the allowable limit for the road, regardless of whos on/whos not on the road, your doing it at your own RISK, and its the police officers descretion as to whether you pay for it or not!! dont get me wrong - i aint no saint, i do speed sometimes, but this is MY risk, and if i get caught, i cant use the excuse that i know how to drive, or theres no-one on the road!!! using the roads full stop is a risk (whether walking, cycling, driving, etc). so rules have to be applied for all to follow when using em!!!

let me give you a scenario - your driving up a 40 road at 2am in the morning and decide you can drive at lets say 45!!! you see people walking up the road (clubbers going home) so your consious of other road users. suddenly a cat/ fox whatever flies across the road, you swerve to avoid it and plough into the blokes!!! whos fault is it fox, clubbers or you??

6. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

I know what you mean, but we're sort of making the same point, cos as you say, you speed like everyone does.

I personally reckon that tit in the porsche doing 170+ has no connection whatsoever with everyday speeding cos its so vastly different. If i go 35 in an empty 30 zone at night, its no big deal.

7. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

oh yeah, it would have been my fault entirely for swerving to miss a worthless animal when i should have just killed it. :thumbup:

8. superden Forum Addict

Well, I certainly wouldnt do 170+ on a public road. Anyone who would deserves to have their licence taken away, permanently. There is quite simply, no mitigation or justification for driving at that speed on a public road, end of. People can put forward whatever arguments they like, its moronic. Not to mention demonstrative of a total disregard for others safety.

9. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

for the first time ever, i don't think anyone has put forward an argument in his defence

10. Nordoff Forum Junkie

He was wondering what an autobahn felt like.
    Just feel grateful he was still driving on the left...

11. Seraph Banned

Get it on a track where its true potential can be exploited - something only a halfwit would try on public roads.

12. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

pretend to be rich and go pull fit, materialistic birds who will put out very quickly cos they think I'm loaded :thumbup:

13. inoakgreen Forum Member

sh*g em all night, and pick em up next day in your golf!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. IanCarvell Forum Member

What an idiot, I dont think these people realise the distance it takes to stop from that sort of speed.

The closing speed on the rest of the traffic is over 100mph so if he had a blow out as he passed another car, which is always me fear when driving at those speeds(on track!) there is going to be some very dead people around.

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

I bet if you could check all speeders in the UK there would be a high % of bikes reaching up to these speeds quite often.

Not saying it's right mind just that i have a few biker friends & most of them have gone 160+ on UK roads.....idiot's yes that's why i don't ride a bike because the urge to go faster is much stronger.

Then again most people with performance car like the acceleration & tend to speed at times but like others have said this is even more stupid & reckless.

What makes me laugh also are these people that pull off silly things then expect to keep their license when their lawyer says about them loosing their job if the license was removed from them.....i say tough luck.

16. Aphex Forum Junkie

I just think he's aknob because he must of been trying so hard. I mean I know Porsches are quick but what's the top speed on that particular model? He must have been conciously gunning it as hard as he could just because he had a rental Porka and figured he'd go as fast as he could.

And if I had a free rental Porsche would I rag it to death? **** yeah, but I'd do it somewhere safe. i.e Brunters.

I can't believe this thread has gone on for so long :lol:

17. Admin Guest

i think from the first post, everyone thought he was an idiot for doing it,

there is a time and a place for "testing" a car, that road is not one of them, ever. especially not on a saturday afternoon.

18. Matt G Forum Member

i havent read all the posts (coz im at work and its the end of my lunch break) but its funny how this bloke (rightly) is facing jail, yet i remember not too long ago a copper doing something like 157 mph - nothing done about him for "testing" his new car (tho im certain its tested plenty before he got it!).

19. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Back to risk perception again.

I'm not saying that the police officer was right to be doing that speed but, as I recall, it was on a m/way & in the early hours of the morning, he was also a competant, highly trained driver. The magistrates, rightly or wrongly, decided that this was a justifiable risk.
    So it's another question of what is considered "acceptable" in terms of speeding, which is after all something that we all do at one time or another.

20. inoakgreen Forum Member

how police justify nicking others for any traffic offence is they start off by saying 'what if.....', so thats how i'll start.

what if a motorist pulled out into the 3rd lane in front of this copper to overtake vehicles in both 1st 2 lanes?? before he'd done so, he looked in his rear view mirror seeing it was clear to do so (you gotta remember, other road users wont anticipate anyone travelling at 150+ so cannot judge the distance it takes for them to close in on them)!! then all of a sudden theres this car thats flying up his backside and braking hard!!! of course the cop slows down due to his "training", but this poor bloke in a panic swerves to avoid a potential accident and either catches the central reservation or the vehicle he's overtaking!!! would the trained copper say - 'his fault, he shouldn't have swerved', (which i recks is most likely) or put his hands up and admit liability???

training or no training, copper or no copper, theres a time and place to check the perfomance of your car - and the m'way aint it!!! dont they have access to special tracks??

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007