Building a 16v turbo what parts

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by altern8, Nov 29, 2003.

1. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

Hmmmm.... What spec' do you want to build this engine too???? 190bhp ,210bhp,250bhp, The more power that is demanded from the engine will require time and investment.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I would not worry about that for now.
    It would shift around the location of peak torque window as well as the usable window range. From my own research the cam timing moves advanced 3 deg with stacked metal gaskets which on an 16v motor would shift the peak torque back 200rpm or so. I actually do not have a vernier pulley to correct ;). Some vehicles have been built with and without pulley. Really depends on if the customer is satified with the vehicle as it is.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What vehicles have been out in that you consider as a fast correlation to what you want to build?
    Then you can start transposing this into a component set if you got the skills.
    Then the comes the cost.:lol:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  4. Dubnutter Forum Member

As said, stacking gaskets shifts power about in the same way a venier does, so obviously a venier will correct this if set up properly, but where you have full controll useing aftrmarket mangment, you can make allowances.

Im building a 16vt based on reaserch of a few threads and on my understand of engine works and having owned alot of boosted cars and im perfectly happy running the stacked gasket setup.

My 16vt build is basicaly an ABF block, AGG crank, 2E rods and ABF pistons for the bottom end. Obviously new bearings and sundries etc.

The rods have been balanced with the pistons and checked against the crank inertia etc.

Flywheel has been faced and balanced but not by too much.

Head is an ABF one that has been ported and polished, standard abf cams for now as im not too hot on cams, but i know the ABF ones are mild enough not to blow mixture of the exhaust.

Iv gone for a firstline upgrade water pump, very cheap and practicaly bulletproof.

2x british gaskets head gasket (mls)

ARP bolts where possible, so basicaly head, rods etc.

Engine wise, i beleive that spec to be a very good one, working in the parts trade means access to alot of parts cheap, and info on whats worth a punt and what isnt.

Now the engine is built, im at the sdtage where im now looking into manifolds, turbos etc.

The whole thing will be controlled by MS.

IM putting alot into the ignition side and fueling side, id rather have much too much voltage and fuel, more than i will ever need, to keep a greatermargin for error and safty.

I think to start with im going to use a T28 with a hybrid 360 and inlet vein. I know they are not the greatest, and a bit old hat. But they are good for 250bhp, pretty reliable and i have a few knocking about and can rebuild them with eyes closed :lol: .

I have an Apexi II electronic boost controller i will use. Reason for this is that i have always used them on all my cars, mostly 220 coupe turbos, and they are amazing!!! 300 mind, but worth it.

They learn the charectoristics of the engine and turbo if you use all the interfaces, and to be honest they do add a bit of power and loose alot of lag.

My main concern is packaging space ie the turbo and manifold is going to be close to the bulkhead and servo, i know im not the only one to do this conversion and have seen various ways of getting round it.

I like the turbo jacket idea so will probs do that alog with lots of heat shielding and possibly a cool air duct for the summer or some louvres.

Another option is bonnet raisers, this will work well as the turbo will be close to the gap at the bulkhead.

If i can get 250bhp and similar torque il be happy. But to be honest im not doing it by figures, im doing it for feel.

8v feels faster off the mark than a 16v, even though its some 30bhp down on power.........see what i mean.

Hope that helps, to be honest its not costing a great deal to do, and its a great learning curve for me :thumbup:

5. Dubnutter Forum Member

also want to point out, those are not all my own ideas, most of it is from various geniuses on this forum :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

6. Chris M Forum Member

I'm doing the ABF turbo conversion.

Shortened and modded S2 inlet, exhaust manifold and turbo. Twin headgaskets and custom I/C and oil and water lines. Custom downpipe, fuel rail, injectors etc etc etc

7. Dubnutter Forum Member

yeah, alot of it is easy to achieve if you are handy with a welder and good at sourcing bits.

8. Chris M Forum Member

Yeah excactly, had all the bit lying about here

9. Dubnutter Forum Member

10. Dubnutter Forum Member

angles the turbo away from the servo, almost equal length pipes, wastegate very close. good design!!

11. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

i haven't been out in owt fast (except my mighty 8v of course;) ) oh and a t5
    but my 16v has to have the gearbox looked at, i thought i might look at turboing it.
    its got a 6a/ACE audi lump in it. just wondered what i could do with the bits i had, what engine is a 2e from?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  12. Tomo IOW Forum Member

think 2e is a mk3 8v gti

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

What did you do for the oil lines were they modified originals?

14. Chris M Forum Member

No, i made custom lines up.

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

This is the k24 we're tailking about? what about flanges, can only find them from america.

16. Chris M Forum Member

Yep, k24. I got the Exhaust flange from dahlback racing a while ago and wastegate flange was used from original wastegate to downpipe flexi.

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

sorry mate! i meant oil inlet and outlet flanges. i'm making up the exhaust and wastgate flanges myself from some 304 stainless plate.

18. Chris M Forum Member

Oil feed and drain flanges are aftermarket ones

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Yes.. i have only seen them from 034 motorsport in the U.S. Did you get them from over here?

20. Chris M Forum Member

Yeah probably, had them in the workshop from other jobs. Tried ebay?