....but its a diesel !!!

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by shortstack, Apr 11, 2007.

1. shortstack Forum Member

had a rip in my mates tdi passat tonite ...he didnt tell it was a v6 4 motion tdi chipped out to 240 brake ......`kin ell ....it is on hell of a quick motor ....now my neck hurts [:^(]
    kept tellin my self ( whilst ripping up the tarmac " its a diesel , its a diesel ffs)[8(]
    I asked him what he had seen off in it ....nothing came the reply , no-one wants to race him cos it looks like a cop car [xx(]

oops , its also in the wrong page ...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  2. Sarah1971 Forum Member

Nothing wrong with diesel.... its the future....;)

3. A7_UFO Forum Member

Sure it was a V6? The largest TDi VW currently produce in the passat range is the 170bhp 2.0. The only V6 is the 3.2 petrol.

4. Seraph Banned

prob had something else to bump up the whole extra 70hp, assuming its a mk5

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

at the weekend my dad took me somewhere in his Merc E320cdi.

for such a massive barge with only 200bhp it doesnt half shift :p it scrabbles away from tighter turns when you hoof it. it kicks down pretty smoothly and barrels down the road.

i have a feeling it would probably hammer my golf in a straight line lol

6. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Didn't the older Passats have the 2.5TDi engine (V6 I think)?

Not very tuneable though so you'd have to do a LOT of modding to get 240bhp.

Still not convinced the wife yet that spending 229 on a DTUK green box is a good idea - 150 to 205bhp and 235 to 310lbs/ft and better mpg but I'm not sure how well the clutch/gearbox would cope!

A Merc 320CDI WILL trounce any modern VW I can think of - Even an R32 would struggle to match it's mid range shove. The newer it is, the quicker it goes.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

haha mid range shove :lol: [:D]

me and my brother joke about mid range shove and mid range overtake urge all the time when talking about modz [:D]

was at a show once and some guy was selling ekoteksheite valves, we asked me inane stuff like "will i get more mid range shove?" "will i feel more mid range over taking urge for safer manouvers?"

but youre right. those mercs rocket [:D]

and theyre tunable too lol and donut for england.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  8. dubst16v Forum Member

Passat 2006
    3.2 l V6 4 Motion
    247 bhp standard according to carfolio

sound like the one?

9. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

But that's a petrol - Same engine as the R32 I think!

Matt - Basically any diesel engine has NO power under about 2k revs and almost nothing above 4.5k revs whereas petrols generally chuck out more and more power as the revs rise.

I hated the diesel power delivery at first but now I've got used to it, I love it.

Always amusing when I get back in a petrol car though - I change gear at about 4k rpm then remember to use the extra 2-3k rpm after a while!

10. Collie Forum Junkie

Think you may be mistaken

[​IMG]

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i miss my A4 130pd. it had a few tweaks but was pretty quick.

it had silly shove from 1300rpm upwards and wanted to go to the redline all the time in every gear. certainly put a few noses of sportier cars out of place

12. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Nothing more fun than battering a supposedly quick car up a hill in a soot chucker!

13. superden Forum Addict

I was hugely impressed when I went out in a new BMW 330d, diesel is fine by me.

14. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Try any BMW with the twin turbo version (535d/335d, new X5, X3) - It's in a different league and it even sounds nice!

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the best was once when i drove up to brum to see my sis. it had been a long nasty drive and got lost in the city to top it off.

when i got my bearings i headed towards her place. i noticed there was a 'BMW M3' behind me and he had been putting his foot down through traffic.

we end up side by side at some lights. he was edging forward, had lowered his window and blipped the revs.... i didnt even rise to it, no point racing an M3 in a diesel audi

when the lights changed, he accelerated away really quite slowly. when i listened to his car it was clearly a 4cyl [xx(]

at the next lights (150m away) i stopped mine with the nose delibrately ahead of his and over the line like i wasnt going to fanny about.

the lights changed. 'launched' with about 1300rpm and the thing just flies. matched him off the line, then i snatch 2nd and it scrabbles away some more. the look on this kids face was a classic and he got pounded by a diesel.

was a very convincing M3 replica though (E46 as well).

the stealth factor was brilliant

16. superden Forum Addict

I went out in a Mercedes C class diesel sport, that was nice ... for a modern car.

17. Seraph Banned

ok ok, no need to keep reminding us diesel-ers!:lol:

Dens on to somethink though with these bmw 3l diesels - they got J.Button's approval when he was sporting one.

18. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Superden - I've driven a C320CDI - The one with the newer engine.
    Very sorted car and damn quick too - Not many around and I'd go for the 330d (or 335d but they are a lot more pricey).

Weird how diesels have come on yet petrols seem to be slowing down development wise.

Apart from AMGs loon engines and maybe BMWs rather nifty 335i engine, no one seems to have done anything ground breaking with a petrol for ages.

Seraph - Planning to try a 335d Touring soon - Although I'm sort of avoiding it as I know I'll want it.

19. Seraph Banned

i think this developemnt has now started, but much slower(obviously)

Up until late 90s nothing much had happened in diesel land....ever (apart from maybe turbos!)

Now suddenly we're seeing common rail technology, 16v heads, multiple turbos, much better noise control. Its def looking better imo!

Yep, get that wagon, its some neat kit.

20. dubst16v Forum Member

i thought VW's 1.4 TSi??? or whatever it is was pretty impressive
    was it 140bhp or something?