Buying guide for mk2 driver? HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G-Man, Apr 4, 2005.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Hi there, anyone tell me what is the average price for a good condition mk2 driver?

I've seen a lot for around 600 on 120K in fairly good nick. Is it worth paying more than 600 for a mk2 driver? As in my other post i did see a driver for 999 on 163K :lol:

What is the 1.6 drivers engine's lifespan generally? If the engines on around 120K, what are the key items to look for on the engine?

Finally (sorry) how prone are the drivers head gaskets and cam belts likely to go e.g. every 40,000 miles?
    Edited by: G-Man

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The driver engine is basically a GTI engine with a different head, pistons & crank to make it less powerfull :)

If well looked after the engine should last for ever, they are pretty bullet proof. The headgasket should never need to be replaced unless the engine has overheated or had some other failure, its not something you need to replace after a set number of miles. You should perform a full service including the belts as a matter of course when buying a used car, unless the owner has proof that it has been done recently enough [:]

I personally would never pay more than 500 for a driver unless the body work was completely MINT as you can buy a decent GTI for not much more money.

The weak spot on a driver is the Pierburg 2e2 carb, it is a complex beast and has many bits that can go wrong, check my post in the engines FAQ section for a list of the common bits that go wrong.

As for a general MK2 buying guide, there is an excellent one on Matey-Matey

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

Cheers for that bud! :clap:

4. FeastyVW Forum Member

I have to agree with John, the Pierburg is a load of tommy tank. So expect cold start porblems with the peirburg.

I presume your buying a standard car? Because, I personally value my Driver at 1500 and insure it for 2000. There's not really a lot to go wrong with the engine, in the year i've owned one the only thing i've changed due to failure was the fuel pump.

Oh yeah, and don't expect any sort of speed from it, your lucky if you even get movement most of the time ;)
    Edited by: FeastyVW

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

If i wanted some speed i'd get an 8V at least! But isn't the value of the car and the selling price sometimes different?

I'd like a driver, but GTI's are becoming so cheap that it might just be worth me paying the extra premium for one, despite my student age! [xx(]

Feasty VW, what have you done to your driver?

Whats the most anyone would pay for a 1.6 driver either:

a) Standard or b) modified (general exhaust, lowering, alloys)?

6. FeastyVW Forum Member

Oh yeah totally. Obviously i insure it for more than it's worth.

Webber 32/34 DTML (200), GTI cam, MK3 rocker cover, K&N Filter, Dub Sport exhaust, GTi rainbow interior (and carpet), momo steering wheel, smoothed rear end, Azev A alloys (800), crystal lighting all round (250). Poly bushed. Soon 90 spec mouldings and arches ;) A few bits resprayed

There plenty of people on here with nicer Drivers though. T R D's is nice, as is Quicksilvers!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Need some new pics, those nasty spoilers aren't on there anymore!!!! [:x]
    Edited by: FeastyVW

7. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

depends what you want.

If you want speed go for a 8v GTi and pay the insurance, if you want GTI looks and Cheaper insurance get a Driver.

i've run my driver for 4 yrs now and had no real problems at all.
    Alot of stuff has been replaced whilst i've owned it.

Not the fastest hatchback in the crowd but can serve up proud for many a year. I wont be selling mine foe a long time.

8. rubjonny

For a standard driver I would pay no more than 600 but I'd expect bodywork and mechanics to be spot on for that kind of money!

For a modified driver it would depend what has been done, probably up to a max of 1k, but it would have to be totally mint body wise :)

I bought mine last year for 430, but I'd value it to above 1k after all the modifications.

Engine wise I've had to replace most of the things in the 2e2 FAQ at some point, the flange on the side of the block and the radiator. I also had to do the heater matrix, but thats cos I put radweld in which clogged it up proper!

9. FeastyVW Forum Member

Ah you were speaking from experience then... so you must know the part number? :lol:

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

Well there's not many 'well modded' one's-you must know the kinda of chav's that i'm referring too! :lol:

I'm just gonna wait and see what happens, missed buying a mint 93K 1992 Polo GT by a lady owner with FSH for 300! [:^(]

I'm looking for something to keep on the longer run!

11. rubjonny

026 121 144 E - 'flange with sealing ring' ;)

12. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

how old are you ?
    Insurance may be the biggest problem with the GTI.
    BTW a jetta is 2 groups less on the insurance and is a lot cheaper to insure

13. mr.rabbity Forum Member

My Driver ain't that bad performance wise. Very fun at a sprint, but just lacks torque. On the motorway performance is pretty crap. Amazing body roll as well :lol:

I paid 550 for my 1.6 driver. Came with perfect bodywork due to being garaged and resprayed four years ago. New sports suspension, Remus Twin 4" backbox, GTi Interior, Weber DMTL, GTI gearbox & 15" Hockenheims.

You can get a really good bargain if you look out for it. Fortunately my car was resprayed unfashionable purple so would not have been to most people's taste.

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

I like you purple! [:$]

Your car is mint mr.rabbity, how much have did you spend on your driver to get it looking that mint? What did you get for your driver for 550 i.e. millage, any tuning etc.

Yeah a 16v insurance is not even worth considering, 8v is bearable but driver is the most reasonable.

My biggest problem is firstly I'm at Uni (Student insurance is always high) and i'm only 19! For some reason once i'm 20 in a few months time my insurance is cheaper [:s]

Jetta's are rare though (a good condition one!) all i've seen is the odd GTi on eBay needing work!

15. FeastyVW Forum Member

IMO you'll be lucky to see 90 bhp and 80 ft lb on a well modded Driver. GTI gearbox sounds like a good idea though Pat. Might have to look into that one....

16. G-Man Forum Junkie

But will modding the engine reduce its lifespan? [:s] Sorry i'm not engine expert here!

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

There's two modded drivers i've seen for sale: This one is 995 ono with 1990 VOLKSWAGEN Golf mkII 1.6 Driver,
    H reg. fully de handled, big bumpers, single winper, crystal clear headlamps, badgeless grill, recent full paint job, full MOT, s/r, tints GTi interior.

The other is 1991 VOLKSWAGEN Golf 1.6 Driver ,
    H reg. 80000 miles, all GTi except for engine, twin choke webbers, flush boot, privacy glass, chrystal headlight, fog lights, big bumpers, lowered, alloys. 1,250 . ono.

But they may be quite nice but a 1989 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.8 GTi 8V,G reg, 5dr metalic paint, 120000 miles for 795!

The 400 difference in price is more than the difference in insurance premium between the Gti and Driver!

18. FeastyVW Forum Member

Get a standard car. You just don't know what your getting with modded cars, plus you've really got to see them in the flesh.

19. G-Man Forum Junkie

I'm going to wait and see for now what's the best drivers around are if not wait till my 20th birthday in the summer and look for a standard 8v GTi if i have no luck with the drivers.

20. Raucous Forum Member

hey whats wrong with 1800 drivers then?? I've got one and love it to bits!! Its on about 140,000miles now and still going strong! What would you expect to pay for an 1800 now a days?