Cadwell vid - 106 vs Williams Clio

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by GVK, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Keith R Forum Member

The Clio driver was definately on the edge, no doubtflustered by the chasing Pug. He does make a lot of mistakes trying to get away instead of concentrating on what he's doing. That's the big mistake you can make on trackdays. He would have probably gone a lot faster had he been relaxed and kept himself to himself.

I can give a list of things the Pug driver was doing wrong, but then I'm no better. However I don't yank the wheel like that and he wasn't heel & toe'ing:lol:.

I know, I know what you're all thinking...............at least he didn't roll it!:lol::lol::p

2. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

I think that were just mates messing around as the pug driver gave a really big lift to let the clio past originally, but i think the clio drivers moment at the hairpin made him think he'd had enough fun. :lol:

The creaking will be the body moving about against the cage mine does that too. [:$]

i agree with james, unless it's mates that are doing it knowingly, if a car is that close up your bottom then you should have already moved out of the way. i know trackdays are non competative and all that, but it is very frusting being held up behind slower cars, i have been known to occasionally muscle my way past [:$] i know i shouldn't but also, i shouldn't have to if people listened to the briefing.

Although to be fair some circuits/organizers do far more comprehensive/strict briefing that others, in my experience on the trackdays i've done with stricter briefings there have been less congestion and considerably less accidents. My 2p's worth. :)

3. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

did anyone else notice after the clio had its little moment there is a red light on the dash of the pug.

ace vid tho, that clio was on the edge!!!

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Agree there Ian, if the breifings aren't that strict you get people thinking and believing they can do as they wish [:^(]

It is so frustrating being held up as well, I sit back after wards and think, why didn't I slow right down and give them space, but all you end up doing is catching them up a few corners later. [xx(]

5. seanlazyass Forum Member

Well if you've ever followed me around a track you'd know I'd do no such thing?! ;)

Although, as cadwell is a fairly twisty circuit there are sections of the track where it is not necessarily safe to move over and let a faster car past.

Slower drivers not letting faster cars past is one of my main pet hates. [:x]

After watching the sate of both their driving techniques I'd be rather surprised to see them approaching in my rear view mirror :lol:

Sean
    Edited by: seanlazyass

6. Keith R Forum Member

I had a guy in a Seat Ibiza who wouldn't move over at Mallory on Saturday! I even turned my lights on to give him the hint[:x]. He obviously wasn't prepared to be overtook by a stock Mk1:lol:!

Top marks to TSR for a well organised day, but there wasn't much emphasis in the briefing regarding overtaking rules. It said in all my paperwork to overtake on the left and to give way to faster cars, but they should still enforce it on the day.

7. GVK

I think in a lot of cases it must be 'pride' as well.

There are people who will think, ahh it's only an old Golf/(insert hot hatch) I've got (just an example) 225bhp in my Audi TT , I'm not letting that old thing pass me :lol::lol:

8. seanlazyass Forum Member

I think another problem is the people who attend trackdays don't speak up often enough when there is a prat driving around who the marshals haven't spotted.

Last year I was at Donington and spent the 1st two sessions of the morning following a guy in an Impreza who just wouldn't move over and let me past. I was all over him through the corners, we'd then get to a straight he'd pull over and boot it. Knowing full well I didn't have the power to out drag him down the straight.

At lunch time I had a quiet word with one of the organisers. The next session out I caught the same Impreza driver who immediately indicated and moved over letting me past.

Since then I haven't hesitated in letting the marshals know if I think there's a driver who needs a quiet word.

I also always make a point of acknowledging someone when they've let me past. It means they'll remember me next time around.

Sean

9. GVK

Agree there Sean.

Also in the case of sessioned days, people don't always put themselves in the correct group for their experience/ability.

10. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

had the same thing with a morgan when i took my 200sx out at donny, it was dog slow round the corners and braked v early, so i was much faster on corners

then on straight it would floor the V8 and take off like a scolded cat - even with 260bhp it was slightly quicker, then would brake waaaay earlier than i needed to for corners.

Mate was driving and we got held up again, so i told him to back off before coppice and take a run, exited coppice side by side (us on left) and i swore at my driver until he kept his foot down "don't lift DON'T LIFT!!!!"

we got to near the braking point and morgan had to brake first and pull in. I felt like a tw4t for doing it, but half a lap later morgan was nowhere to be seen - i think he had got a fright as i was driving a couple of sessions later, caught morgan and he pulled straight over...

11. GVK

He just Wooden't get out of the way :lol:

12. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

I always make an effort of thanking people for moving aside and if faster traffic approach moving aside as soon as safe to do so.

track days are about having fun, pity some driver can't seem to get that into there head!

Racing is a differnt matter ;)

13. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

:lol: quite right too.. he did'nt want gravel rash when he came round the next corner obviously ;)
    Edited by: badger-bill

14. RichS

RichS CGTI Regional Host

[:|]

Morganic chassis...

15. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember several of us at Donny being told "only put your lights on in bad weather please..."

16. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

I got black flagged @ Donny about having lights on.. but seeing as they stuck me in the slow session group, what were they expecting.. ;) Speed differential was scaring the other cars so they said, so they reported it and I was black flagged FFS... *cough* well when I filled in the form and put advanced class, and you stick me in novice class, WTF do you expect muppet!

They then changed the group I ran in.. Billy Suggers

17. vrbanana Forum Junkie

nice to see you find a home :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

18. GVK

Yep, also got told off at Donny for having headlamps on, and Easytrack said yest at Cadwell that they don't allow it either [xx(]

19. vrbanana Forum Junkie

strange, i've never had a problem running with the lights on....... could be a size thing :lol: :lol: :lol: anyone seen a big daddy splash??? :lol:

20. GVK