Car Audio MK2 Golf Gti

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Sean mursell, May 6, 2023.

1. Sean mursell New Member

Hi I changed all the 6 speakers because due to age they had all deteriorated to a bad state. I bought direct replacements from powerbass which I could highly recommend. I still have an old head u it that I’m changing to a Kenwood dab unit that has a changeable display so it will be green like the dashboard. Definitely need to change your speakers if they are old and it isn’t too difficult

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I put some direct fit alpines in the front dash positions and some direct fit pioneers in the rear positions, sounds better but never going to sound great due to size and location.

Some of the 90 spec onwards cars have the activ door speaker pods, if I was bothered about sounds I'd get some of these and fit some 5.25" in the doors with tweeters in the dash top powered by a small amp.

That reminds me, I have got two parcel shelves with decent speakers in them if anyone wants a bit more thump without hacking up thier OG shelf which is a no no these days. Drop me a message if anyone is interested

3. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

I tend to prioritise replacing front speakers (dash and/or door depending on what your car has) - it's easy enough to find new ones from the usual brands. I don't really bother with the rear ones - just disconnect or get rid of the old ones :)

To add a bit of oomph to my audio without taking up boot space I put an active sub a bit like this under the front passenger seat. It's not a "booming bass bin" but is discreet and plenty enough for me.

4. Sean mursell New Member

Au so mine has dash tweeters which were pointless, 2 in the door that were still working but sounded tinny, and the 2 next to the parcel shelf were not working. I replaced all 6 with the powerbass units which sound good but they are all small speakers so lack a bit of bass. Only way to sort that is bigger speakers or a sub in the boot. In my van I have an underseat powered sub which works great in there but maybe I could put one in the boot on the mk2. Just replacing oem units with new direct replacements won’t perform miracles but it will vastly improve on 30 year old paper cones