Car cutting out when fully warm - help

Discussion in '8-valve' started by gti_kev, Feb 14, 2007.

1. gti_kev Forum Member

1.3 big block engine code GY - Keihin carb (MK1 Citi import from SA)

Ok, from cold starting the car with choke fully out, then once started push it in so the car revs around 1300 rpm, drives to wotk - all seems fine after 4-5 mins i put the choke all the way in and still all is fine, then after around 12 mins of driving the car start to judder and choke at any speed and in any gear, when i come up to a round about the car stalls - revs plumet!

She restarts fairly well but i have to floor the accelerator and even when floored it stutury and thr revs are around 1200 rpm ans slowwly and reluctantly rise, after 4 mins of this it's all fine again.

Once cold she's fine agian and the whole process starts again!

It's like it's struggling to get fuel in? I am not offay with carbs so any help on this would be most appreciated as i may not be able to get her started again next time :(

Thanks

2. mark25 Forum Junkie

I'm not familiure with the city, but could it be that the car is just not designed for the colder temp here? Are all the carb electrical heaters and exhast manifold air pre-heaters working? I would imagine all that gubbins (if fitted) needs to be tip top condition for the low temp and high humidity in Wales.

3. gti_kev Forum Member

Well the citi cars seem to be fine over here, there is no hot ait intake on them, what alot of people do is run a pipe to suck air from the manifold in winter months, but it was dry and and around 7 degrees here this morning. Last friday we had a ton of snow and it took my 3 hours to get home and she was fine then.

Maybe there's crap in the fuel tank?

4. mark25 Forum Junkie

Unlikely to be as engine temperature dependant as you're suggesting. Worth swapping the fuel filter and checking the gauze in the fuel tank (if fitted), if you're in doubt about the last service date tho.

5. mark25 Forum Junkie

Doesn't add up tbh, if they're fine over here, why do people do that mod?

6. gti_kev Forum Member

I did a full servcie on here a few months back - changed fuel filter etc. -

I know what your saying, but i think that mod is to help the car to stop stalling in freezing conditons, but mine did this when fully warm!

It's not happenning on every trip either, so it not a constant thing.

Could it be the alaternator/pack breaking down under load maybe? as i have notice this happens when driving in the dark, so light radio heaters all on!

7. mark25 Forum Junkie

measure the volts across the battery when running/ticking over to check.

8. gti_kev Forum Member

Yes - main job this lunch our :)

btw - going to fill her up and add an additive as I think she needs one, will any carb fuel additive do the job?

I'll keep you updated!

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Doesn't have to be cold out for carb icing to occur, its worse in damp conditions! It doesn't matter how warm the engine is either, so I'd get a warm air feed fitted. Find a MK1 carb if you can and pinch the warm air feed setup from it, including the metal shroud from the zaust manifold. If you have nothing to bolt it on with, use a couple of large jubilee clips round it, worked perfect on my Driver :)

10. gti_kev Forum Member

Thanks this is going to be a step eduction lesson for me :)

VW are sparce down my way, could i just not attach a large hose on to the air intake and aim it towards the manifold?

11. rubjonny

Could give it a go, but without the metal shroud my driver would still cut out!

12. gti_kev Forum Member

Have you got a pic or diagram or even a link to this so i know what it is? I may be able to get something made up here in work!

13. rubjonny

its nothing spectacular, just a metal plate that is cupped round the manifold with a round flange on it which you press the warm air pipe onto. Then it runs to a unit on the inlet with a flap in it that opens/closes depending on the temp inside the airbox. I don't know how similar the engine is to a 'normal' 1.3 engine, but you might be able to find most of what you need on a Polo

14. muppet9966 Forum Member

My CL doesnt have the metal shroud on the manifold, so i just placed the pipe as close to the manifold as possible, it seems to do the trick, no signs of carb icing anymore.

Have you got any pics of your Citi? I think they look cool and it would be nice to see one (besides the one on the SA VW website)

15. gti_kev Forum Member

Have you a pic of what you have done? Thanks

Got some pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. rubjonny

looks to me like you could pop the front off the end of the airbox and swap a 1.6 one on. So thats a big block 1.3 then? Really odd it looks identical to a 1.6/1.8, and the head isn't x-flow like the 'normal' 1.3s either!

17. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

bit off topic, but what happened to your 16v?

18. gti_kev Forum Member

Yes it's confusing looks identiacl to the 1.6/1.8 engines! Do you have a pic anywhere of what i could swap it for - never had experiences with this before and a picture is worth a thousnd words :)

Gambit - Sold her, to a guy on here actually, bascically i was getting a company car so had to sell, but it been put on hold for a few months! The citi golf was in storage at a friend house who was going to get her on the road, but as i need a daily drive i thought why not get her back up and running :)

19. muppet9966 Forum Member

Ill take a picture of my 1.6 airbox, will post it in abit.
    So how old is the car? and what plate is it on?
    Also your rear lights look normal, as opposed to the Citi, and do you have the polo dash?

Sorry for all the questions, im just very interested.

20. gti_kev Forum Member

1996 - N reg - standard interior 51k on the clock :)

I think the newer ones have the polo interior, you can still buy them brand new with all the mod cons - I looked into this last year and it would cost around 12700 to have it delivered to your door after import duty etc! If i had the cash i would defo get one!