Carbs on a 16v?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Alan, Jan 8, 2004.

1. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

185 Nm is about 140 lb/foot (i know my sign is wrong)

not sure wot revs....max power was at 6.8k not sure what the torque was at

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

175 brake on a standard (1800) valver ;)
    also a childhood dream to have a pair of webbers :p
    gvk,whats your spec,interested in 9a with the works,balanced,lightened,etc...
    @ carbs4eva,was advised to go for 45s(was wanting 50s!) cos i bought the engine as a 2.0 kr conversion but got ripped off,cheers JIMMY G. [:x]
    Edited by: riley

3. Carbs4ever Forum Member

So 40's are more suited to the 1.8? thats what i was told..

Velly is the Otteinger cam worth doing?

4. Alan Forum Member

If I can get a set-up second hand Ill probably go for carbs especially as its something that I could install myself. Also found out that my dad could re-jet them and set them up for me as he used to do it when he was rallying.
    I love the sound (and the smell;) ) of a tuned car running on carbs

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

if you feel your gonna go for carbs,i feel my work here is done :lol: another,throaty,roaring,webbered motor :clap:
    @carbs,should be fine with 45s,you need them jetting to suit anyway.

6. Alan Forum Member

I think the cars going to be getting a bit scary, just about to pick up a stupid low/close ratio gear box and ATB dif. Should be quite fun on twin 45s [:D]

Got a set of 260 cams sitting around, might actually get them to work once its on carbs on.

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

:lol: man this modin games addictive,what box u gettin?
    whats the difference between auto torque biasing diff and limited slip diff? [:$] not wanting to sound stupid.

8. Alan Forum Member

Not 100% on the difference between the two types of dif but I think that the atb removes the torque steer that you can end up with from a normal LSD

Ive only been into modin VWs for about a year and I just cant stop [:D]

The box is a 16v 2Y with about a 10% lowered final drive ratio[}:)]
    it is going to be a fair bit diffenent from the MK3 8v GTi box that Ive got in there at the min, its way to long [:^(]
    Edited by: Alan

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

i dont think the atb,s are bad money really.about 500 new i think?
    wouldnt mind experiencing the 2y box in mine,have used mk1,8v and now use caddy diesel.
    Edited by: riley

10. Alan Forum Member

I like the 2Y box, had one in untill I had the engine rebuilt as a 1900cc then because I had reached my limit on the cost and that box was in need of a rebuild I just got hold of a cheep MK3 box.

Whats the diesel box like?

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Mine's just a 9A with standard head running on KR 1800 K-Jet with small 42mm inlet manifold and KR 1800 cams, usual air filter and exhaust mods (K+N,Scorpion system), standard cast exhaust manifold, set up by Vince at Stealth racing

171bhp/151 lb/ft has more torque at 3000 than an 1800 KR has peak [:D]

Only downside (some might say) is that it doesn't rev as well as an 1800,peak power is at 6000.

After killing 2 KR bottom ends in the last 3 years, I'm not that bothered that it isn't a screamer, saves money on big end shells :lol:
    Edited by: G_V_K

12. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

lot better than mk1,longer geared the further up the cogs you go,but its still got the acceleration of the mk1,4th and 5th little too long if anything,but nothing more power wouldnt make use of ;)

gvk,sounds sh1t hot,nuff cant be said about being set up by sum1 who knows their stuff.are the revs restricted because of the longer stroke?

13. Alan Forum Member

2 bottom ends in 3 years, not bad going :lol:
    Hope mine holds together!
    From looking at your web site the mid range torque more then makes up for the loss of top end

14. GVK

The 9A head is tuned for torque, smaller inlet ports and larger exhaust ports than the KR , a ported KR head would give me a few more revs and top end power, but at the expense of the mid range torque. [:s]

You can get a 2 litre to rev, Barny's ABF with Schrick 276s and Stealth ported head was still making power at 7200 and put out a storming 194 bhp last time we were at Vince's [:D]

Alan, yup the mid range torque makes the car a lot easier to drive, I've got the mk3 8v 'box too, which as you know has long ratios, when the car was an 1800 it wouldn't pull from 80mph in 5th , had to go down to 4th [8(]

15. Alan Forum Member

so I expect I couldn't sell you the 8v box coming out of mine then ;)

After I had a rolling road set up done by vince the car started to be able to pull the box but it's still no screemer.
    It's going to be so differnt to drive the car with the new box as I'm going from about 21mph per 1000rpm in top to about 18mph per 1000rpm

16. GVK

If I had another car to use on the road, I'd definitely go for lower gearing on the Golf for track use, Most weeks I do a 300 mile round trip to the g/f's so the mk3 8v 'box is ideal for that.

When we go over to the 'Ring I'm pleased it's got long gears too :p Can imagine driving along at 5000 rpm at 80mph for 300 miles Calais>Nurburg would be a ball ache [xx(]

17. Alan Forum Member

I might have the 5th gear from the dfq box put into the 2Y one to give me a bit better motorway gearing. Luckaly I've got access to a VR6 Corrado if I need to to any lomg distance, but only if I'm nice to my dad [:D]
    Edited by: Alan

18. GVK

Only problem doing that is the HUGE gap you'll have between 4th and 5th [:s]

Worth a try though to see how it is. Can always be changed with the box in situ.

19. Alan Forum Member

It's ture about the gap, if I can live with it it would be good with the carb as it would give much better fuel economy

20. Alan Forum Member

Thinking about economy and fitting carbs:lol:
    I must be tired [:s]