Clocking

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Dubya, Feb 9, 2005.

1. The Pig Forum Member

So it's totally impossible to remove the speedo cable for 6 months of the year or "adjust" the speedo prior to each service or MOT ?? Slightly naive my friend.

I've seen every trick in the book over the years and even if the mileage is genuine it is meaningless without knowing how the car has been treated or what has been changed in it. A car that has been thrashed mercilessly up and down farm tracks or doing short trips to the shops for 60K is going to be in a worse state than one that has spent 150K at 80 MPH on motorways.

You should buy an old car on condition and believe nothing apart from your eyes and your instincts unless you personally know and trust who's owned it from new.

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

As TSC says, they are so easy to clock.
    Get the back off and the speedo out.
    Gently lift/priase the long pin holding the gear wheels up slightly and rotate the numbers to your desired millage. Make sure when your finished that the long pins is still holding the numbers down tight or you'll realise when youe drving that your not putting millage on and you'll be taking them back out again!

3. bobski Forum Member

your right milage is nothing my mk11 has 160,000 and full service history....and body work is spottless....cos the bloke i bought it from garaged it every night....well looked after....as long as your car has good service ect and all the main bits and bobs it will go forever......

4. Dubya Forum Junkie

Well, I had a look and figured that the blue printed circuit thngy would have to come off before anything else, so I started removing that from my old clocks.

When it came out it bought the rev counter and MFA (the defective parts) with it, so I took all that off the new clocks and transfered it into the old ones, so I have the original body and speedo with new rev counter and MFA.

Hopefully when I put it back in the car tomorrow it will work, but I'm not enormously confident tbh!

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

As TSC says - you can just change the numbers very easily. Did it when i put 140 clocks in my old 8v.

6. Dubya Forum Junkie

All back in the car now, and I have a working rev counter and MFA.

Thanks to Damogti for supplying the clocks. :thumbup: