Corrado VR6 part deux pg 3 on

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by MJA, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Adamss24 Forum Member

I know the guy, he Used to be an activ member on audisportforum just like myself…we both started modding 2 decades ago ! I read his thread but I didn’t know if he finished it as yet, thread stopped short in 2020…

2. Adamss24 Forum Member

3. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah it seems to be a slow project, I've had my car 9 years and it first popped up 5 or so years ago!

Adamss24 likes this.
  4. Adamss24 Forum Member

Problem with me is I have too many projects on the side so progress is slow !

5. MJA

Ditto here! Everything takes me longer but I enjoy the build phase

Adamss24 likes this.
  6. MJA

Spent hours cleaning it on Saturday - machine polish and a wax but you'd never know with it being white :(

It's either white or brown.

20220328_124511.jpg

Adamss24 and dodgy like this.
  7. Adamss24 Forum Member

She scrubs really well ! Nice car !

MJA likes this.
  8. MJA

End of an era. Car is now for sale at Classix auction house. Will be entering 4th March auction but is available for sale beforehand. I'm crap at selling stuff and would have given it away plus I can't be bothered to deal with the "punters" or risk anything happening to it on the test drive.

I've loved the car and my total spend is c£20k. Absolulely nothing wrong with it but I decided it could not carry on like this as I am chasing perfection and don't really use it for fear of getting a door ding. I'm sure someone else will enjoy it having not put all the effort in themselves and it will live in and be enjoyed.

There will a steady stream of parts I'll sell - Audioscape door pods, volt/battery guages, NOS late drivers lenses x2 (obsolete), Drivers light, fog lights to name a few. Get in touch if interested or looking for stuff but I will wait until the car has gone just in case.

Instead I will focus on getting my mk2 16v back on the road but definitely not go for a full respray and will leave it with it's patina. It does need to some repairs under the bodykit and that's all i will do.

My mk3 I still have and plan to sell that through Classix too once I've had the bonnet and roof painted owing to laquer peel. I'll then probably buy an R32 mk4 as no doubt will miss the VR6 and this time I'll be buying a sorted car from the off rather than putting my hand in my pocket for thousands.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Wow... big decision mate, especially on a total clear out of the cars, plus spares.
    I accept sometimes we need to change direction and can't keep as many as we would like.
    Moving to a more modern R32 would be a great move, but try not to get tooo bored with one that needs little attention.
    I don't have the balls to get rid of my Corrado. I'm pretty sure I just like the look of it as it is blocked in the garage anyway.
    I had a mk5 Edition30 years ago and absolutely loved and rated the car and Engine.
    Good luck with what you choose and make sure to let us all know

10. MJA

Thank you matey and i had thought about it a lot over the last year. I did list it myself but pulled it last year so understand the balls on not selling - i don't have them to do it myself. It's much easier letting someone else do it - out of sight out of mind.

The 12v/oil corrado gauges are yours when we're ready.

11. MJA

And that's a wrap. Just had the call from Classix that the car has sold to the first viewer and they've taken it away today. I had expected to wait some time for the car to sell as Corrados seem to sit for ages on the market so was pleased it only took a week and I got more than I would have thought possible selling it myself.

Sales video of the car for memories. I don't know who the new owner is but hope they enjoy the car more than I was able to (always worried about damaging it having spent so much time and money on it).

12. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Good Norn Ironed accent there!

13. MJA

I regretted the decision to sell the white Corrado and more recently also the sale of the mk2 - opps - I'll find another at some point, hopefully whilst the market remains in my favour. I had some silly ideas I'd consolidate and buy a 911 but my heart is with old VWs.

A buddy had picked himself up a very reasonably priced 964 that he had been after for 5 years so he was looking to shift on his Corrado. It's a nice colour and arguably a better foundation than my white one as lower miles and even better history (the white one was very strong in that regard but this one has everything from the beginning inc 29 stamps in the book). It has been garaged since c2005 and had all new rubber trims and obsolete bits back in the late 2000s when these parts were not obsolete. It looks smart as result but needed some work with bushes etc as the car has done 91k and most of it was still the original stuff.

I bought the car in May 2023 and have ticked off quite a few jobs but still some more to do. I do not plan to take it all apart and nut and bolt, just do what is necessary to keep it in fine fettle.

Some pics and details:

Car as puchased

View attachment 34995

View attachment 35007
    View attachment 34996

It had some advisories on the MOT and the clutch was very heavy so took it to to Stealth and had the timing chains, head refurb, 263 cams, clutch and some bushing/ABS type jobs seen to.

View attachment 34998

Vince filmed it on the rolling road, it did well - 223hp and 216

Rolling road plot - nice extra bid of midrange and stronger top end - midrange just as strong as a variable manifold on standard cams but stronger top end with 263s.

View attachment 35004

I sourced some Recaro seats, Oil Volt dials and Audioscape door pods + a Blaukpunkt Bremen and fitted:

View attachment 34999 View attachment 35000

I have ordered Koni TA/H&R springs. Unfortunately they were on back order for ages and were not delivered by the time it went to Stealth

View attachment 35001
    View attachment 35002

Since it came back from Stealth, though could have been a problem prior too, I noticed it had the same warm start issue as my white one. From cold it is fine, when warm it cranks more than you'd expect but still starts. On the engine cover is a new Crank Sensor and I also had the injectors refurbished by Mr Injector and I refitted. This changed the problem where it will only crank excessively after 30 mins of being left.

View attachment 35003

Winter has been busy this year for me so haven't progressed with anything yet. The rear axle bushes were advised on the mot, somebody had sprayed tar like sealer in the area which made them look rough. I have cleaned it up and Vince didn't say they were desparate but I do plan to refurbish the rear axle, new brake regulator and refreshed calipers as there is also "brake inbalance" on the Mot history. Might do it this winter or leave it until the next.

Body wise it is fine, did have a windows out respray in 2009 and still looks good. I had a dent man remove 3 door dings also.

I still have the speedlines and some 16in BBS wheels to refurb for it:

View attachment 35006
    Speedlines are actually pretty heavy, noticeably heavier than the BBS wheels. Ignore winter firewood kindling mess [:D]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    Cressa likes this.