Creamy deposits on oil filler cap

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by jonola, Nov 10, 2004.

1. jonola New Member

Is this always the head gasket?

A girl I know lent me her mk. 3, 1.4 with 105k the other day and I noticed this. The temperature needle doesnt really move until you sit in traffic and then goes up quickly.

It overheated on her and the garage took 200 to replace the radiator, which I dont think was the problem and then I reckon theyve took out the thermostat to make it run cooler whilst on the move.

Anyone any other ideas other than Head Gasket?

2. Dub Dave Forum Member

I had a garage do this to me, just unplugged the radiator, I nevere noticed until I completely over heated and a reputable garage checked and went 'why is this unplugged with a lead patched accross?' Grr, lazy mechanics

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Is the radiator fan coming on when it gets hot?

mayo under the cap isn't always the head gasket, espec if the car does a lot of town mileage, but if the car's been overheating stands a good chance.

Check the fan out first...

PS...how badly do you want to fix it?

Is she fit?

Are you trying to work one into her?? perhaps leaving some creamy deposits of your own ??? Dirty Dawg!

Edited by: mikehorsb

4. Dub Dave Forum Member

eugh..you need to get out more mike ;)

5. jonola New Member

Busted!! [:$] [:$] ;)

Yes, she is by no means ugly and I rescued her last night by getting her a new window glass and sticking it in, all for a tenner..she was about to pay 110 after it was smashed

Anyway, I would tackle the Head Gasket as I done my own before. But put it this way, an eye for an eye, some head for a head... sound fair?

Just want to be absolutely sure. Put a wire accross the fan switch then, see if it works?

6. The Pig Forum Member

Change the thermostat if it is suspect anyway (VAG part only - not Halfords or similar)

Check the fan cuts in when hot. If not, bridge the switch as you say and if it works then, then change the switch. If it doesn't work suspect the fuse, fan motor or a loose connection.

Ditto the comments about mayo and town driving. Take it for a decent fast run down a motorway (20 miles or so) and if it still has mayo, change the oil and take it for another run. If the mayo returns, suspect the head gasket.

If she won't let you bone her after that, stop answering her calls and let her Dad sort it out for her.

7. gti8v Forum Member

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

I may be sad, but I'm not entirely wrong [:D]

I agree with all the Pig's points above - well said that man!

In addition, you'll probably find you still have to ask her out... IMHO she won't just jump your bones while you're elbow deep in grease and mayo... and remember there's a fine line between shining armour and doormat ;)
    Edited by: mikehorsb

9. Claypole Forum Junkie

That'll be where you think it's safe and she turns round and says "I'm glad we're friends"... [:s] I'll fetch the knife for your heart... :lol:

10. jonola New Member

@ pig - Cheers - sounds like a plan.

@gti8v - Im no expert but my mk. 1 ran hot after I flowed the head and put a cam in her so I took the thermostat out, and now the needle only moves in traffic. So I reckon you might have a blown gasket and someones took this out as a quick (but temporary) fix. Should stay at 90oC all the time those cars. Watch her if she gets much past 95oC - might pressurise.

That'll be where you think it's safe and she turns round and says "I'm glad we're friends"... I'll fetch the knife for your heart...

Surely not? [:x] I'll let you know.

11. Dub Dave Forum Member

I hope she doesnt read this furum. :lol:

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

If she does, his dinner's in the dog.

13. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

head gasket?

14. The Pig Forum Member

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH ! The "go for the most complicated and expensive possibility and overlook the simple stuff" approach.

Unless of course you do the H/G anyway so there is no possible way she can slip through your mayonnaise covered fingers.........

gti8v. I know cock all about VR6s but on the Mark II 8v the thermostat opens at 87 degrees and the fan doesn't kick in until 98 degrees so you often get a bit of movement on the gauge in traffic exactly as you describe.

As for pressurising the system, it is meant to be pressurised to 1 bar when hot to stop the coolant boiling. If it goes over 1 bar the PRV in the cap opens.

15. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

alright alright don't have a heart attack I was just saying what sprang to mind :lol: anyway if you prepare yourself for worse case scenario then you are plesently suprised when it turns out to be something simple and inexpensive :p ;) :lol:

16. The Pig Forum Member

Especially if you can get your knob buried in the process.....

17. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

sorry didn't get that.... [:s] :lol:

[EDIT: re-read thread now I understand :lol: knob her good ;) :lol: ]
    Edited by: Mk2GolfBoy

18. Chris H Forum Junkie

so so true

19. jonola New Member

How does one know if one is being treated as a knight or a doormat?

If I thought for one minute that there was nothing in this for me, the engine could roast itself. Its only 1.4. It doesnt deserve to live.

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

I had a titter to myself at the idea of a 1.4 Mk3 on a fast run down the motorway....first seek out a good hill and a tailwind!

If you're being seen as a knight she'll want to see your sword and helmet ...only one way to find out!!

Sorry about the dodgy puns...couldn't resist