Danster's green thing

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by danster, Nov 13, 2010.

1. danster Forum Addict

Smoothing? [:s] Sounds a little bit too "scene" for me.

I will however be getting rid of that shoddy 16v exhaust manifold that is detracting from the bay. Then it may get a wash and wipe down prior to an engine getting fitted.

I may try and get the alloy block mounted with a bespoke engine mount while it does not have the head on. It makes it a little easier to lift and move about.

Still just finalising bits and pieces for the other engine at the moment.
    I also need to get more stuff sold to create a little working room in the shed.
    It is freezing up here though, forecast says minus 10c next weekend. [xx(] Far from ideal temperatures for mucking around outside.

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

[:|]

[​IMG]

3. danster Forum Addict

:lol::lol:

I think Chris needs a 10min Jambo ban! ;)

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Swiftly rectified by watching 10 mins of 16v engines rallying in Ireland :p :thumbup:

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Jesus!!!
    [​IMG]

6. danster Forum Addict

:thumbup:

32 valves to make up for the poor torque per valve coefficient of the 16v when compared to the 8v engines. ;)

7. danster Forum Addict

With all the snow we are having at the moment, I thought it was a good plan to dig out my old sump gaurd from the autocross days. ;)

[​IMG]

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ha! Glenshee never had any snow worth skiing on so I'm glad to see that being put to good use!

But... what's it off? Can't be just a tin sign surely?

9. danster Forum Addict

Sunday morning :
    Up sharp for 3 mile walk with dog. Done
    Cut logs. Done
    Have lunch. Done
    Enter shed and remove all ancillaries from the 2E 8v engine. Done
    Tea break. Done
    Hmm, bit cold outside so bring engine into living room to strip engine down in warmth. Done
    Complete block strip down to find forged crank and no wear on bores or any crank journals. Done.
    Currently celebrating with a beer. :p

10. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Result :thumbup:

11. leontdi Forum Member

reminds me of the famous 16v barstone scirroco last time i saw that it had a big ally sheet rivited to the bonnet in place of the metal no doubt .

12. bobski Forum Member

danny ..the 16v is out in favour of the well known darkside 8v power..the darkside can not rise and beat the power of the 16 valves ....is this a mid life crisis??? are you lacking in techno beats?? is there no cider in tesco???

im away to sit in a cold dark corner and seriously consider where its all went wrong

13. danster Forum Addict

Well another typical Scottish Sunday..................Pishing with rain. [:x]

However, there was a 5 minute lull in the monsoon, so I managed to drag a 2nd engine indoors for assessment. This was forced on me due to the lack of other fellow CGTIers having any scales to weigh their conrods that they had lying around out of their engines. [:x] Not all CGTIers, but some, you know who you are! :lol:

So I had to strip another complete engine to weigh them myself. This task was made more awkward this time because for some reason the cat wanted involved in the job. [:s] Jaffa the ginger cat is now sporting an Adam and the Ants style mascara oil smear across his coupon from when he stuck his head down one of the bores to check for wear. :o

Anyway, this second engine is sitting nicely in the middle of the living quarters floor. I think it makes a fine feature. [:^:]
    Now the technical shizzle, this was done to ascertain the various weights of certain OEM components.

The results are as follows in this uber table.

OEM Parts|2E |ABF Piston assembly (piston, rings, pin & circlips)|455g|435g Conrod (conrod, studs & nuts)|675g|592g Big end shells|32g|32g Overall weights|1162g|1059g
    So by selecting certain parts, a weight saving can be made. I have new after market piston assemblies that weigh in at 375g, so if I use the ABF rods, the complete rod and piston assembly will weigh in at 999g, compared to the std 2E piston a rods weight of 1162g. I can make a weight saving of 163g. This is approximately a 15% saving in weight of the reciprocal components.

Pic showing the two types of conrod. ABF top, 2E bottom. It is worth noting that they are not exclusive to either engine. It seems VW just used whatever they had a stock of when building the 8 or 16v engines. Both types of rod have been found in either engine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Uber table there! Nice to see that a damp day can't stop the feverish fettling at Chez Danstere!

Pics of the rod types worth putting up?

Could someone kindly tell that to Rod Birley please! => thread.

Road rallying maybe? Or do the carbs put paid to that?

15. danster Forum Addict

Edited table post with pics, shamelessly stolen from Toyotec's wolf build. He won't mind. :lol:

16. Funky Diver Forum Member

Or over half a kilogram on four assemblies at 624g. Not to be sniffed at, and that's static weight, not reciprocating mass.

Good work fella :thumbup:

17. nealey Forum Junkie

This is why you are our leader Dan! No wonder the 16v lot want you outcast from the 8VAS!

18. danster Forum Addict

19. 16valver Forum Member

If that is what happens to driveshafts with your 16v - how many will you go through with the 8v?

Jesus!

20. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Jesus Danny thats alot of shafts, Iv been having a major clear out today (actually just moved most stuff closer to the scrap pile, not quite ready to let go yet) and I thought I have hoarding issues, then again Im prob close to 20years behind you so If I dont learn to throw away now I might end up sleeping on VW parts when Im your age.