Danster's green thing

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by danster, Nov 13, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I was in the Motherland this weekend, and half entertained an idea of coming across, and I could have lent a hand, but a bit of a bump, and another bent wheel and wrecked tyre (same one as last time... [:x]) put paid to that idea.

Oh, and it wasn`t me who phoned you... :lol:

3. Funky Diver Forum Member

If you've knackered a drive shaft, Danny hasn't got any. They're his "collection". Personally I think it'd be easier with, say, trading cards... but you know Dan. He's obviously making sure he has enough drive shafts to build an 8V with a driveshaft for each valve it's gonna be THAT powerful!

I'm not even going to ask WHY you have so many... as that would just be folly.

4. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

[:x][:x]

Thats terrible, who would do such a thing.

I still have no scales, it went of to the scales hospital and entered hospital via the back door at mates rates. Mates rates are not paying on this one because its now been what seems like yrs gone.

As I said Danjo, Ill post you a rod no probs for technical examination FOC if you want to further continue your studies asap.
    I tried tescos again, but they dont have a conrod Icon on the scales, just bananas, oranges and the usual stuff thats on them(cant think of anymore). You have to press the Icon first before the damn thing works. I guess I could give you a weight in multiples of bananas if if you like?? Every little helps you know.

Send me your address will ya, Ill post you one, Itll be one less thing Im liable to break my neck on when coming away from Pc.

:thumbup:

BG

5. danster Forum Addict

I now have an image of a suspicious geezer walking around Tescos with a lump in his trousers, he loiters around the fruit and veg isle, then when nobody is looking, he whips out his conrod to weigh. :lol:

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I did get a few looks now that you mention it. Walking out the door again without buying anything either:thumbup::lol:

7. danster Forum Addict

Just picked up a couple of slicks and a spare to put the new 8v torque down. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

8. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

they should be enough to put down all the torque for the mighty 8valve

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

An epic find! Are they Hoosiers? :lol:

This looks like part of a new strategy to squash 16v engines at the startline? !!

10. danster Forum Addict

I need to torque up the timing belt pulley to crankshaft bolt. It is torqued up pretty tight so having been making do over the years with a fair old struggle to undo and tighten these bolts, I decided to knock together an "elephant engineering" type tool. Broke out my late father's stick welder and some 8 year old welding rods.
    An old crank pulley and a piece of an ancient lawnmower handle provided the parts.

[​IMG]

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sufficiently over engineered [:*:]

Quality control passed :thumbup:

12. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Got to disagree me loverly SSon.

Quite elegant really, IMHO!:thumbup:

If you had welded a scaffold tube on there, then it would have been elephantine![:D]

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  13. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

You've welded it on back to front though, the centre should concave in and not stick out ;)

14. danster Forum Addict

It runs!! [:D]

The house renovation is a shambles, the grass needs cut, I am filthy and smelly............but at least the engines is running now. One has to get one's priorities sorted. :lol:

So this engine is the 8v, iron block, 1595cc, long rod, light piston, non crossflow, 11:1 CR, cam, Webers, 4 branch one I built a while back.
    It is only the initial start up as I still got a few things to finish off due to the upgrade from the 16v to the 8v engine.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  15. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Good effort young Dan.....:thumbup:

16. danster Forum Addict

Update. Nothing to do with the above posts on pistons and the engine currently fitted and running.

I finally sourced some of the lighter oem 159mm rods in a trade with another forum chap. :thumbup:
    Fitted the pistons to rods and they are now awaiting installation in the block that has had a bit of fettling to the oil ways. It just needs a proper steam clean after a final check over of ring gaps etc.
    [​IMG]