Death of a Scirocco

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by MR D, Jul 18, 2011.

1. MR D Forum Member

Whoops,could have been much worse !!

[youtube]ydzuGvqRcXs[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  2. WillG

WillG Forum Member

wtf does "If I knew this road better I would drive differently" mean?!

If he didn't know the road why was he going that fast around an almost blind bend heading towards a massive hairpin with a god-knows how far drop on the other side of it?!

Poor rocco!

3. Admin Guest

on a river of water.

4. racer Forum Member

car - nil
    immovable object - one

5. seanr68 Forum Member

The guy was obviously a "Dick" of the highest order. Risking not only his life but, that of his passenger as well.
    A young lad who thinks he can drive when he is clearly pretty goddamn useless and dangerous.
    Shame about the "rocco", looked like it was a beauty prior to the crash.

6. MARRKUSZ Forum Member

o dearr :(

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

TBH, I don`t think he was going that fast, and clearly had a good view down towards that hairpin, so not exactly a blind bend.

He was also clearly slowing for said bend. Given how dry the majority of the rest of the road was, how many of us would have expected 2-3 inches of water right across the apex of the corner? Not a one, I`d wager!

I reckon 90% of us would have been caught out by it...

8. TK1

TK1 Forum Member

totally agree

looks an awesome road though (in nice weather)

9. seanr68 Forum Member

He was going sufficiently fast enough to be unable to stop in the distance he could see the road to be clear. In other words, he wasn't able to react to the conditions and the situation presented to him. He was going too fast. Simples:thumbup:

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Agree with Stu, no way could you ever predict that and I recon I would have been driving at simular speeds, ofcourse I'm the stig so I would of caught the slide thou.

11. MR D Forum Member

Think he would have lost it there ,whatever speed he was doing,my mk 1 scirocco used to suffer really bad,it's how I wrote it off,was doing about 50 tops,didn't stand a chance.
    Current roc does not suffer as bad,but then I don't really use it in the rain,due to what happened 23 years ago with the first one.
    And yeah,shame,as it looked mint

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

It wasn't just the water. There was clearly a massive hole that popped the o/s rim. Must have been washed away by the water.

13. danster Forum Addict

[:-B] Too many speakers on the back parcel shelf altered the weight transfer that would have allowed the brake load valve to alter braking bias. This is why driving on or with excessive ICE is dangerous. :thumbup:

14. seanr68 Forum Member

Its not about prediction though. I agree that anyone driving through that at a fast enough speed would probably lose it.
    I've just watched it again, and honestly, it is purely bad driving. No other reason. I bet there were a dozen cars before and a dozen cars after who never hit the cliff..!!
    What i'm saying is that "had he been driving at a speed where he'd been able to see it coming(which would've been around 25mph-30mph), then it may not have had the same consequences". The slower you go, the less susceptable you are to aquaplaning.
    The guy was clearly doing around 50mph, downhill, with wide tyres, on what was to become a wet road surface. You could see the wet surface 100 yards away, but he didn't slow adequately to remain in control, ultimately destroying his car and his pride in one swoop.
    I wonder if his insurers wrote it off????? :lol:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  15. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Only looked like a T-cut job to put it right,lol. Yea granted if you where taking it really easy then you should be ok but Id have to have both hands tied behind my back to only be doing 25mph on a road that good!

16. seanr68 Forum Member

It was a combination of a bit too much speed and a lot of bad luck. I bet he got home and cried his eyes out....i'd be gutted. Wonder if he's ebaying his rear lights?? lol

17. StuMc

1.57...road is intact. Pretty sure the impact with cliff-wall did the rim in. :thumbup:

18. StuMc

You can see it, because you know it`s coming, but I still doubt many would have.

Look at this still (again, ignore the fact you can see the water because you know it`s there). Where would your eyes be looking at this point in the road, regardless of speed?

[​IMG]

If he had been doing 25-30mph, he`d have still aquaplaned on that much water, and I`d bet he`d have still hit the wall. Of course less damage would be done, but he was always having an accident there.

Also, given how much the flow of water increases as the footage goes on would suggest it had only fairly recently started to accumulate to unsafe levels due to rain fall higher up, so he was more than likely the first car to come across it.

19. seanr68 Forum Member

Well the NORMAL rule of thumb is to Slow Down when you see a wet road. Earlier in the video there were SEVERAL wet patches on the road, which should've come as a warning to him. When he see's this larger wet patch(there was plenty of time) he SHOULD have slowed adequately to a speed where he could clearly see the road ahead AND slow/STOP if necessary.
    I'm sorry, but it WAS preventable!! Otherwise there would be a big pile of vehicles at this point of the road.

Excessive speed, lack of concentration(talking to mate who was filming, loud music, Showing off.....if i knew this road better i would be going faster), Lack of route knowledge = A young lad who was going to crash sooner or later.
    Theres no real argument, he fooked up.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hi, please stop the unnecessary high-minded, patronising preaching. I saw your post above before the edit.

He does not appear to be driving that fast. The low engine revs demonstrate this or indeed create perhaps an impression of less speed. Of course it is downhill.

As I watched the video, the water on the corners suggested caution. However, I personally think the driver had a bit of a brain fart at 55 seconds. Two seconds tick by as he appears to do nothing, despite large amounts of water visible in the distance. He has a clear patch of road he can brake on before it gets really bad. At 57s, it's too late. Not many folks budget for rivers on roads, but this is the UK, and we don't all have mountain passes on our doorsteps. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, however.

Staggering to see the damage to the car [:v:]