Deck Height of Early 1.6 GTI Block

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Neal H, Nov 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Neal H Forum Member

I would be very interested in some more details of this block too, Romain. If you can get any pictures of what to look out for that would help greatly in a search.

2. gti1600project New Member

I've only just read this thread, i'm pretty sure that when I checked the code on my 1.6GTI block there is a 'H' stamped on it. I'll check again tonight.

3. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

EG compr. height = 40,7 mm , dish 8.3 mm , CR 9,5/1

4. romaingirardlamamy

romaingirardlamamy Forum Member

finally been able to upload the scan I had
    here is the difference between a 1.6 block and a H block

[​IMG]

and here is my H block seen from the inside havent work the side for the bigger crank and bigger rods yet

[​IMG]

and by the way neal if you still look for an H block there is one for sale on the french forum
    let me know

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Looking at the lugs on the rear of the block, the ones in the centre ie to the right of "1.6" and "H", it appears they are shorter on the H block, ie the wall has been cast further outwards. The lugs would have to be in the same place, since those are the mountings for the longditudinal installations.

It's very subtle though. Anyone agree? It's the top centre two I'm mainly looking at.

6. danster Forum Addict

Yes, very slightly. Presumably more clearance for a longer stroke crank. Maybe this is because of the 86.4mm stroke used in the 1715cc engine unlike the 80mm in the 1588cc EG.

I think the early diesels I mentioned earlier with 1.6 mech tappet head used a smaller bore and longer stroke to make the same capacity.
    My two 1.6 diesels are the later type and have the hydro head with the later head gasket style, and coolant outlet off the head between 3 and 4 unlike the earlier engines with it between 2 and 3.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Romain, forgive me, I recognised the Oettinger dry sump you posted and realised where the pictures were from. I've done some larger scans so we can have a better look at these blocks.

Here's the EG block, and the main difference between it and the H-block is circled:

[​IMG]

And here's the H-block, so we can see the lower crank case wall has been extended outwards to allow for that greater crank throw:

[​IMG]

Edit and another from a French site:

[​IMG]

And here's the DX, with the charactertistics of the H block, but with further developments higher up:

[​IMG]

Fascinating and a great find Romain :clap:

And just to prove that picture of a DX stacks up with reality, here's a DX:

[​IMG]

What the DX block proves is the H-block was a classic iteration of the EA827, whereby the features of the EG block were then adopted and passed down the line.

This is seen in various ways subsequently, 16v, ACE touring car, 2E, ABF and other related blocks, tall or short, even 20v AEB.

Here's a 16v KR:

[​IMG]

And then when they needed an even bigger stroke, they just opened up the skirt some more? Two litre block, 6A:

[​IMG]

This engine is like a Porsche 911 ! Volkswagen just never threw the design away.

8. danster Forum Addict

That first pic of the DX block capturing the cylinder head face also shows the extra oil drain found in between cylinders 1 & 2 on the later 1595 and 1781cc engines. :thumbup:

9. romaingirardlamamy

No worries chris
    I was expecting someone will have this book
    To be fair I really struggled to upload those scans
    So I am glad you took over

Danster I don't know about the early diesel blocks but you might be right
    Now the question is if the diesel had longer stroke for sure one of the tuners would have used it
    So either 86.4 / 90.5 / 94.5
    I got to do some research

What I know is that the 1.6 used the diesel rods and those are renown to be bullet proof

10. danster Forum Addict

I will have a route around and find out what I can.

The GTD forum may be an excellent place to have a look in. There is a French and English section. Look in the IDI section.
    The 1.6 diesel engines varied with the early mechanical tappet (using single oil drain like the petrol EG), and then the later hydraulic tappet engines (using the extra oil drain between 1 & 2 like the later DX).
    There are various threads on folks converting between the two types of head and blocks. I am sure all the bore and stroke dimensions will be there too. :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

USA-sourced 1.6 diesel block pic - H-block type rear skirt design:

[​IMG]

Single oil drain....

[​IMG]

It looks pretty close to an H-block to me.

The block code appears to be 053 103 021 D 011, either that or an 055 prefix, which is completely out of synch with what I'd expect for an early block!

12. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Golf 1 diesel engines were :

CK 76.5 x 80.0 mm 1471 cc 08/76 - 07/80
    CR 76.5 x 86.4 mm 1588 cc 08/80 - 07/82
    JK 76.5 x 86.4 mm 1588 cc 08/82 - 07 /84
    CY 76.5 x 86.4 mm 1588 cc 08/81 - 07 /84

Source: www.doppel-wobber.de

13. danster Forum Addict

76mm bore, just what I mentioned earlier on in the thread. Meaning they needed a longer stroke to get capacity back up to 1.6.

14. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Any idea on the bore/stroke Chris?.. us only or euro/uk models too?

I'd imagine a forged longish stroke crank?

15. danster Forum Addict

See HPR's post 32 above. :thumbup:

16. romaingirardlamamy

Well the diesel block have simillar shape as the H block
    But I don't think they will have more room for a bigger bore then the H block
    From 76.5 to 83 (maximum bore on the H block that will make
    The original cylinder wall really beefy

Now the disapointing bit is that the diesel crank was 86.4mm
    like an 1.8 gti
    So oettinger were making their very own cranks 90.5mm 94.5mm and 99 or 100mm
    At the time
    Then came the diesel crank 95.5mm much later

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

HPR shows 86.4 cranks in all 1.6 diesels. So this explains that block design.

But here's some craziness from the GMP Performance resto thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

USA 1.7 block, which means it's the Chrysler Omni / Horizon block.

The design on that initially looks like EG, but I think that crankcase wall is a fraction further out.

Dimensions previously given...

[​IMG]

18. chopperoli Forum Member

I checked my 1.6 GTI's block last night as I had it on the 4 post lift after work and it is an 'H' (EG code on the front, H cast on the back).
    So the conclusion seems to be that the H is OK to be bored out up to 83 maximum? There are not many pistons out there these days for these (136mm rods, 80mm crank and Heron head) other than 81mm Woessner 11.6:1 jobs which is a bit too high comp for comfort on the original fuel & spark setup.
    Even harder to find are pistons for use with an 86.4mm crank. Then there is the issue of head gaskets. The 1.6 head needs a different gasket from the 1.8. The 1.6 gasket is 81. Ideas or leads anyone or am I barking up the wrong block?!

19. romaingirardlamamy

Hi chopperoli

Head gasket is not an issue the oettinger gasket was up to 83 mm bore I am looking in to that myself
    Yes you could bore it to 83 but I would stick to 82.75 or 82.5 leave some room for rebuild

The 136 rods also have a really chunky piston pins

I am looking into longer rods group buy??

You could if you want fit the all piston rods crank of a 1.8 but you still have to play with the pistons

You could do it it s depend if you are ready to spend more money than putting a KR or anything allready bigger

I chose to do it but I got the oettinger engine

20. chopperoli Forum Member

The reasons i'm not putting a KR etc in there is I want to keep more or less the original EG engine, albeit pushed to its best (road going) potential. I'm doing it bit by bit. Already got a nice big valve heron head on there. What's this oettinger head gasket then? Is it thinner as well? and Definitely For the 1.6?