Depression

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Raider, May 28, 2005.

1. damogti Forum Junkie

yes mate [:D]

Got to stop me from getting too p***** though mate..... and NO f**kIN WRONGENS!!!!!!!!!!!! [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x]

Remember what happened a couple of weeks ago [:x]

[:|]

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

not the best situation to be in tbh [8(]
    can you not get out of it m8?

sounds like you need a change of scenery and to move on?

sorry,dont wanna sound like im pokin my nose in [:$]

neil.

3. damogti Forum Junkie

thats ok mate :)

i do need to move but my house looks like its its in downtown Basra..... no electrics or hot water at the min so i cant live there at all.....

Im hoping that i'll have the place back to an inhabitable condition in the next couple of weeks and move in then...... thats if my sanity can hold out that long [8-}] [:s] [:^(]

[:|]

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ahh i see m8,well good luck,keep yourself busy (sounds like u are with house) and chin up. :)

and stay away from b'locks [:|] :lol:

only jokin!

neil.

5. b'locks Forum Addict

6. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

7. b'locks Forum Addict

8. sue16v Forum Junkie

I didn't say diet cpouldn't affect your wellbeing,and if you're just feeling generally down in the dumps,excercise and a balanced diet can help alot.
    Clinical depression is another thing altogether,and while you may be able to help it with the above,it won't "cure" it and it won't stop it happening.

9. prof Forum Addict

maybe, very hard to prove anything where mental health is concerned. But if feeling sad, get stuck into some fish oil, you have nothing to lose

10. Admin Guest

depends what your depressed with....

pills, diet ain't always going to help you out...

its dealing with the cause in a logical way and being positive about it. something i need to pull my finger out and get on with things.

11. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

I would alway advise staying clear of booze when you feel really down, I broke up with my childhood sweetheart [:$] about 11 years ago and took to drinking to help me sleep, over time I was drinking more and more to have the same effect, after about 12 months I had started drinking too much.

Obviously I knew the drinking was out of hand and this depressed me more than anything else, it got to a point where I didn't leave the house for days on end, all my savings went on booze, my diet was junk food and I avoided my friends and family.

The turning point came when I woke up with a crippling pain in my back, at that point I really thought my body had given up and I was going to be dead by the end of the day, I realised it was my last chance to sort myself out, I went to see my doctor and she perscribed Seroxat (sp) but I didn't take it as I thought I might get addicted to that, also saw a CPN for therapy.

Now for the happy ending, I dont drink and haven't for years, I'm about to start my own business, a couple of years ago I bumped into my "childhood sweetheart" got back together (older and wiser now ;) ),and our first child is due in a couple of weeks [:D] .

Sorry for the long thread but I just wanted to explane how easy it is for booze to take over when your depressed.

12. sue16v Forum Junkie

Booze is a known depressant.Just that one to many and you switch from bein very happy to a blithering wreck!

Prof:Think i'm gonna give that fish oil a try!!

13. Rick 16v Mk2 Forum Member

It's a slightly misleading term. It is a depressant but not emotionally. Depressants are substances that slow down or depress the Central Nervous System. Depressant drugs include alcohol, barbiturates and tranquillisers. On its own booze won't make you feel down, not till the next morning anyway, when you look to your left and see the hideous ten-pinter you blindly nailed cos she looked 'alright'. [8(]

14. sue16v Forum Junkie

Lmao!! :lol: :lol: I did actually get that drunk last night at a mates engagement party.Have had the blanks filled in this morning by gleefull friends. [:$] [:$] :lol:

15. cros40 Forum Member

:lol: always the way Sue, a good night out has many blanks!

16. Seraph Banned

This is the truest thing ive read in this whole thread.
    proven link between carbohydrates and increased serotonin levels too.

17. prof Forum Addict

hmmm this is not a license to eat cake tho :lol:

spiking insulin through lots of carbs at once may help you feel happy for a short while, but ideally a low GI diet with constant blood sugar will help more.

anyone watch Supersize me, remember how depressed he got and the junk food made him happy while he ate it but miserable all the rest of the time

18. sue16v Forum Junkie

Prof,pm me a diet sheet!!Need to lose half a stone.Oh and a routine i can do at the gym too please cos i've lost my motivation. [:D]

I have to admit,my diet in general is ok.Love fresh veg and salad.But i'm a bugger for eating things that probably don't do me any favours.ie;bread and pasta.My biggest downfall is cheese.But i don't like milk or yoghurts,so i make that my excuse!!

19. azrael Forum Member

I suffered from depression a lot after death in my family got me asking those all important questions.
    Luckily the answers found me and I love life [:D]

Shortly afterwards I found the most beautiful deep girl that has ever existed...life would be bliss were it not for the tasks we are set. :)

20. Bonnie Forum Member

Depression is a funny thing - it affects so many of us in so many ways.

The point at which I drew the line and talked to someone was when I knew I couldnt cope anymore - although my actions perveyed that I couldnt cope before I, myself realised it.

Think it came as a shock to people close around me because i was always happy and smiling - I guess I was just covering it up somehow pushing it away & shutting it out. Unfortunately I wasnt surrounded by the best people at the time - no-body understood - they even told me I had ruined things for them, was a burden and was a waste of space etc.......

So, I changed my environment, moved away for a bit and took control. I did things everyday that dont cost a thing - went to the beach and walked, read, walked some more, splashed in puddles and other batty things [:$] and slowly things got better. i have used medication on and off but im off them now.

Even though I'm over the worst of it.its always there .you just learn to cope with it - i know what I have to do to fight it off sort of thing and I know myself better now so that if I can feel myself slipping i do something about it - fast.

Surround yourself with people you know will stick by you, unconditionally and know that you will get better even if it dosent feel like it right now.

Some things happen for a reason - I believe that it was supposed to affect me to make me a stronger person and to appreciate life more - and, I do.

Damo - come see me soon hun [:D] miss ya :)