Depression

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Raider, May 28, 2005.

1. azrael Forum Member

I agree I feel I am a stronger and wiser person because of the Sh*t i`ve had. I think if you can come through such things and not become bitter then you realise that even massive traumas pale in comparison to true spirit.

2. Bonnie Forum Member

ahh the true spirit is strong in this one - he is a true jedi - may the force be with you [:D]

uh hum seriously, I know exactly where your coming from.

3. azrael Forum Member

Ahhh my young pedouin, but the force is strong in all :p

4. Bonnie Forum Member

5. Raider Forum Member

Basically I denied anything was wrong for years and then bang it hit me [:s] .... I was knocking lumps out myself and hurting myself due to the pure frustration at the irrational thoughts I was having. Then my wife took me to A&E and set the ball rolling in me getting help and went on medication. A week later she said she didint know how to help me and couldnt cope with me as I was so I went back to my mums. A week or so after that she took my wedding ring off me and told me she didnt feel cared for etc etc..... My world fell apart. The medication I was on Olanzapin calmed my head but didnt really help looking at it now so went on to other medication which freaked me out. Currently living with the wife and the stepson who I treat as my own... in our house and the fact that we arent together and the day will come where we have to sell our home and go our seperate ways has been breaking me for weeks. Shes told me when we sell shes moving to liverpool. Also recently work has been really stressful with a lot of pressure being put on me. Anyway last weekend I noticed colours were not what they should be everything was a grey shade again... I said to my mum I felt I was losing it but carried on then yesterday morning I coudnt face a thing and couldnt stop crying... been on computer and in bed ever since and those demons are getting closer.......

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Then get yourself to a psychiatrist ASAP mate...... even if you have to pay to go privately to get an appointment. Remember, it's only bad times - there are always good times ahead.

7. superden Forum Addict

Hes right :) :thumbup:

8. Raider Forum Member

I kinda know that deep down but its hard when in your in that dark tunnel [:s] .

The Vodkas chasing those demons at the mo ;)

9. Bonnie Forum Member

Speaking from past experience hun, these things do get better -although you probably cant see that right now :)

I'm sad for you and really feel for you about your wife. Unfortunately, sometimes when people dont understand things they push them away - the exact same thing happened to me - I split with my husband.

And as c rap as this sounds, the answer dosent lie within the bottle of vodka or at the end of the bottle of anti depressents its inside you mate. Be prepared never to find an actual answer because sometimes there just arent answers and its more to do with fulfilling our lives with the important, little things.

For years I went around with things from my past milling around in my head and not understanding why I felt so depressed. So I tried to fulfill my life with bigger and better things, pushing myself more and more - if I wasnt buying clothes I was at work - anything to stop myself from realising/feeling pooe - I was always replacing natural highs with superficial ones.

But then just like you when I had time to think and I needed to be strong - I wasnt - I fell apart and everything went bang. After 2 hospital stays and finding myself surrounded by ignorant barstewards I decided to change things.

I surrounded myself with supportive people and instead of filling my life with superficial stuff and worrying about what I was going to be etc I focused day by day - doing something every day that was free but still great - like going for a walk, baking a cake, reading a great book, volunteering my help, digging a vegetable garden, helping an old lady accross the road. Sounds gay, I know but slowly buy surely I started to find out who I was again and knew what I wanted. Excersise really helps too!

I'm still trying now and it never goes away - but the little things really really help - I promise you it will get better.

One of the best things thats helped too, is every night before I sleep thinking about 5 things (even if you force yourself) that you've enjoyed that day. You might not be able to do five at first, but eventually you will [:D]

If you ever need/want to talk, pm me or e-mail me.

Hope things change for you soon :)

:hug: bons xxxx

10. RicRhind Forum Member

This is a really good post n shouldn't be deleted! f**kin well done for postin this raider, i wouldn't have the bollox, for fear of havin it ripped out of me. It amazed me when i read it how many people are or have been affected by deppression and how supportive you all are.
    I've had different levels of deppression for probally the past couple of years now. The first step to fighting it is to realise there a problem. Forget about the stigma bullpoo. Think about it, just like you heart, lungs, stomach etc, your brain is an organ and is just as suseptable to malfunction as any other.
    I went to me doc, since have tryed counseling, acupuncture, selfhelp, herbal pills etc. with limited seccess. Cuerrently i take citaliphram which is an anti-depressant. Trust me, i was completely against taking drugs to 'fix me' but in desperation, it was me last option, so reluctantly i took them and they have worked. Like i said.. if you have a head ache, what do you do?...take a pill. theres no difference.
    Never give up, at your lowest point, fight it!!
    as lance armstrong said

Pain is temperary, quiting is forever!

thing WILL get better bro!
    if you wona chat PM me!

11. Seraph Banned

agree, however in both cases you are merely treating the symptoms-not the cause.
    something to think about maybe.....

12. RicRhind Forum Member

Very true...
    My take on depression is; due to whatever things going on if you life you become down. This upsets the chemicals in you brain. You produce less seritonein, or the receptors in your brain reject the seritonein your brain is producing. Anyone who has been depressed will know the light at the end of 'that' tunnel just ain't there. What pills did for me was to bring a glimer of the light into the end of the tunnel. Then when you have gained the smallest amount of self respect (i.e. fourght the smyptons) you can attack the cause of your deppression.
    This is probally IMO the best time to have counciling when deppressed.

13. prof Forum Addict

I sound like your mum but alcohol will cause long term depression when used to excess regularly

I posted it earlier in this thread but sort out what you eat, poo food = a poor balance of brain chemicals.

Make sure you get lots of canned salmon or fish oil [not cod liver oil] to replace the lost DHEA in your brain. Lots of studies to support fish oil use as a mild depression sorterouterer

14. Raider Forum Member

Right ok was going to actually start taking cod liver oil tablets [:s] Will Tuna do?

15. prof Forum Addict

cod liver oil isn't the thing really

try this click

tesco and most chemists also sell it, i'd go for 4-6g spread throughout the day
    Edited by: prof

16. prof Forum Addict

A loss of DHA in the brain has been linked to post natal depression, as if you don't eat enough the growing baby actually takes yours from you brain [well obviously not if you are not pregnant, or a bloke]

anyhoo western diets are mostly lacking in this substance, can't hurt to try it for depression, also helps with weightloss and lots of other stuff :p

17. Raider Forum Member

Already got some at my Mums... will start later ;)

18. Raider Forum Member

Well The tablets are working ;) Im on 2 capsules of fish oil daily.....nice one prof ;) Ive kicked the whole wife thing into touch.... Ive accepted we arent going to get back together and walked out of my house months ago and never been back accept to get my bank cards etc.. The Merc we had has been sold but still havent touched the Golf [:s] and the house is going up for sale in the new year.ive just come back from the Welsh Developmet agency where i took my business plan in..... Im looking after number one at last... No computer at the moment but hey 2 hour in a net cafe will do for no ;)

No regrets not looking back............ ;)

19. prof Forum Addict

:clap: great news

big up da fish oil

20. thebluebus Forum Junkie

:thumbup: good on ya!