Distributor help!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by ELVIS, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ELVIS Forum Member

just need to sort an ecu , will let you know........................

2. ELVIS Forum Member

k, took my old ecu and my 'new' secondhand one to a mates. Plugged into me mates 8v and both my old and new work along with testing the ignition amp.

Both ecus are permanantly priming now on ignition. also no spark BUT was very occassional when king lead was earthed out.

Have pulled multiplug off back of igniton switch and tested that by making my own jumpers up and 'hotwiring' it to make sure it wasnt the switch , it isnt.........

Tested the king lead on me mates golf, all good.

Really am clutching at straws now. what the feck can it be ? new dizzy/cap/rotor arm/coil/ tested ecu and amp, ignition switch all good.

But back to constant priming ? Along with the fact everything else is tested good is it back to the actual wiring loom itself? have tested it once already across pins etc.

are there any other senders etc that could be stuffed that would make the coil not/very badly spark and fuel pump constantly prime?

are we looking at earths again?

me head hurts now! all i can think of is there is maybe one sender that can effect the running (hence asking you chaps) or wiring is fecked somewhere - hence the priming AND coil being gay.

3. danster Forum Addict

Have you got another dizzy you can plug in?
    It does not need to be a digifant one, any electronic VW one will do for testing, even one off a Polo with hydro head. Put the ignition on then spin the dizzy by hand and see if you get a decent spark from the coil lead to earth.

Fuel pump running all the time could mean a wiring short in the loom somewhere (possibly not to earth but to other wires), this may result in the voltage dropping to the ignition system.

4. ELVIS Forum Member

feck sake, looks like im busy again tomorrow.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i would check the dizzy wiring next, maybe one of the wires is shorted out fooling ecu into thinking it can see a speed signal

6. danster Forum Addict

Another loss to the music industry if you are working on Digipants instead of recording song shizzle. :lol:

7. rubjonny

not to mention the loss in proffits to maccy d and burger king

8. ELVIS Forum Member

feck off, wife beater is my chosen poison

9. ELVIS Forum Member

not far off torching it now

to recap

new dizzy/coil/amp /ecu

all tested on mates gti as working

ecus prime constantly but neither blown , both work on another car

are there any other sensors that would effect the running- i just dont have a spark - got an intermitant pi$$ poor one occassionally. knock sensor looks skanky but would that knock out the coil/sparks side of things?

cleaned up earth 101% ok on gearbox to chassis (this is in my van remember).

i dont understand ecus/digipants enough to know what would effect what. im getting fuel/pump buzzing so that relay must be ok. ecu multiplug is showing volts etc so ecu relay must be ok.

what are the obcvious wires to check that might knock out spark side? 'cranking' one from starter maybe ?
    could a fecked temp sender cause this much grief (although was a new oe one few months back)

HELP!!!

10. rubjonny

the only thing which would stop it sparking is the hall sensor, so check the 3 wires from that all the way back to the ecu. a bad coolant temp will make it run bad, but it will still spark. to rule out the knock just unplug it, car wont run properly without but it will run!

11. ELVIS Forum Member

cheers (for the umptenth time) John

Have ordered a set of new pins and mate is lending me his strap on crimpers/terminal removers.

IF it is hall sender wiring (not that i dont trust you:lol:) would this account for fuel pump constantly priming? I have noticed that with keys in , if i turn the dizzy by hand (not clamped at the mo) the fuel pump does fire into life if i move it enough for the window too line (or not-cant remember) up.

So fecked hallsender sends signal via white mans voodoo to fuel pump?

12. rubjonny

well my thoughts are that if its got a short in the hall sender loom the ecu is seeing a spark trigger signal constantly, so it triggers the pump? it may be the 2 problems arent related though, the pump might be down to something else. main worry is the spark though, figure out the pump later :lol:

13. ELVIS Forum Member

who is the daddy ? who is the feckin daddy?

ok its rubjonny :lol:

had another look. (1) i solved the problem by replacing every part ignition system/ecu (2) in an act of pure brilliance i fecked it up....................

as you may or may not know, the whole lot is in my van so have had to make the factory golf loom 'fit'.

I stripped off all the old plastic outer a while back. If you have ever done this you will know the earths for the hall sender/blue temp/ erm/ 2 others meet at one point and are crimped from the factory onto a 12" earth 'tail' that come from ecu.

Thinking it was these last week i cut them all off, stripped them back to nice clean wire (they were skanky/crap joint/ crimping looked if it is was on its last legs etc)

I then twisted all the tails together...............................

well, nearly all of them, obviously when you dont connect them all to the earth tail from ecu it dosnt work- im i cock of the week for second week running?

Now...................

nice fat blue spark from king lead, pump primes for 3 seconds, wont catch though.......

sounds as if it wants to. dizzy is deffo in right place and not 180 out (yes i checked as i have previous for being a cock, see above)

ideas?

was close to torching it, got a step further away, now im reaching for the matches:lol:

14. rubjonny

oops :lol:
    does the pump run as its cranking over?

15. ELVIS Forum Member

wet plugs so took em out and dried/cleaned them. no joy[:^(]

checked dizzy (the one i had put in correctly:lol:) put it in 180' other way round and it decided to start playing. 75 ECP dizzy with no notch n stuff for #1, lots of fiddling, few fags , bit of swearing, snap on gun.

ITS ONLY BLOODY RUNNING

Sorry for being a cock of the highest order. Long and short is, hall sender was fecked but i then fecked things up more with my mongness:thumbup:

16. danster Forum Addict

17. rubjonny