Dodgy starting idle

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Mark16v, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Mark16v Forum Member

Last weekend my mk2 valver had to be jump started for one reason or another. Anyways, since then the idle has been rather high at around 1000-1100rpm depending on how cold it is. Would the battery dying have rest something in the ecu or has the air\fuel mixture been affcted in some way?
    Want to get this sorted as its quite annoying sat at lights with the car seemingly roaring away [:$]
    Edited by: Mark16v

2. Golden Forum Junkie

The ECU on a 16V only controls ignition and has no volatile memory, so no the battery thing couldn't have effected anything.

3. Mark16v Forum Member

Oh right... Puts a spanner in the works with that plan. Reckon that the ISV needs cleaning then? Does seem to wonder down to an almost stalling point occasinally when its first start and drive for 2 minutes

4. Golden Forum Junkie

Check the 3 temp senders on the end of the head.

5. Mark16v Forum Member

Right, I didn't have a chance to check the senders at the weekend but it seems to have got a bit worse. When its starts from cold (any time of the day) then the engine revs slowly up to 2.5k rpm and falls to between 1.5 - 2k. Idles here even when I rev the engine [:^(]
    Drive 20 metres down the road in as high a gear as poss to force the revs down and it has no effect but then 2 minutes down the road it idles constantly at 1k - 1.5k. I've checked the ISV which buzzes when the ignition is on and all the pipes are connected properly. Did see the pipe coming from the underside of the airbox wasn't completely connected so I plugged that all back together which made no difference.
    Another thing which worries me is the air box seems to have a bit of oil\water settling on the top. From looking about it comes from one of the larger pipes which plugs into the airbox. I'm quite worried that its something major as my head gasket went a few months ago and I couldn't afford to get it repaired again if its anything nearly as expensive!

6. Golden Forum Junkie

Dont worry about the crap on top of the airbox, the breather hose pumps all kind of rubbish into the air filter, particularly in this cold weather.

Check that the cold start injector isn't running for too long. This is controlled by the thermo time switch which is the large brown sender in the end of the head. This feeds the cold start injector in the end of the inlet manifold (has a blue plug on it). The injector should only be feed with voltage for between 2 to 8 seconds depending on the temperature. Check it's not running for longer dumping extra fuel in.

7. Mark16v Forum Member

Cheers for the tip Golden, I really wanna sort this altho my girlfriend seems to think the cars fine! She sat and asked why it was so loud when I started it this morning. Her reasoning was that it was just cold so the poor thing is trying to warm up a bit.... [8-}]

8. Overseer New Member

2 things that havent been mentioned fully...

check really carefully for vacuum leaks or loose vacuum hoses.. esp the one that comes out of the block as it sometimes gets hot and cracks over time.. the idle not falling back again consistently is often due to this.

findnig vacuum leaks isnt easy.. you just have to feel your way along all the vacuum hoses and see if you can feel a leak. some people suggest spraying wd40 all over the place and seeing if the enginer stutters but i've never had success with that method.

and also.. although you've mentioned you checked the ISV is buzzing.. but you may find giving it a clean/flush outhelps a hell of a lot too. its a really simple job and can be done in 10 mins.

9. Mark16v Forum Member

Just to confirm, the ISV is flushed with petrol yes?

10. Gti Jazz Blue Forum Member

Did I read somewhere that it is best done leaving the ISV in petrol and leaving it energised for a period of time ?

If so is it a pulsed feed or does it just have a constant 14.8V feed ? If that is that case I can run it up on my old CB 14V bench PSU and leave it in petrol for a good few hours.

11. Overseer New Member

yes you can flush it with petrol.. there is a guide on this forum somewhere that describes soaking it that way.

the guide on here doesnt mention connecting it up to leave it open.. but i have seen a guide someone else that does (i think on a 'rocco or corrado site)

personally i've had good results with a can of carb cleaner.. just block one end with a rag.. squirt loads in and give it a good shaking.. i used a cut off lemonade bottle to collect the deposits so i could tell when its clean.

i have no idea about the voltage apart from that an ISV has 12V written on it.

12. Mark16v Forum Member

I'm still experiencing this problem which is really annoying. [:x]
    Friday afternoon I disconnected the ISV and soaked it in carb cleaner for an hour or so. Disconnected all of the wires from the coil and plugged them back in after fiddling with em for a bit. ISV went back on, checked and it buzzed fine. Tried starting the car and it started to idle correctly. Revs went up to 2,000rpm and then dropped down to around 850. Blipped the throttle but each time the revs dropped it nearly stalled. Had a look and it turns out the green wire going to the cold start valve connector is broken.
    Thought I'd cracked it but the following morning (car sat for around 9 hours so was as cold as it was gonna be) it did the usual rev to 3,000 and then settled at 2,000.
    The ISV doesn't seem to come on all the while, would the feed from the air box affect this? The elbow joints aren't as tight as they should be and the pipe is caked in crap. Wondering if this would affect it?

Also not sure how to check the ISV control box, is there a guide? Had a look but couldn't find one. Would the temperature sends on the head tell the ISV not to come on?
    Edited by: Mark16v

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Dont use carb cleaner as it is abrasive and will damage the ISV internally, which is why you should use petrol or white spitit.

Bit late to say it now though :lol:

14. Mark16v Forum Member

lol Just disconnected the ISV and went for a drive, revs drop correctly when the throttle is released and the idle is a constant 1,000rpm Problem is definately in the ISV circuit.

When i first started it with the ISV diconnected the engine wanted to stall a few times but I'm guessing this is cause it was cold, once up to temp it was spot on.

Gonna try pinpointing it to see if I can fix it, don't fancy holding my foot on the accelerator every morning at junctions etc

15. rubjonny

You could try upping the idle ever so slightly, this should stop the car stalling until you replace the ISV. Don't ask me how to do it or even if its possible on K-Jet, I've never owned a 16v.
    But I just got a reeeeely good insurance quote so it wont be long [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

16. Mark16v Forum Member

:lol: Don't think the ISV is at fault since there's an under lying problem of it not always being on. The idle is already raised a bit I think as when I just parked up I was able to cruise round the car park in 2nd gear without touching the accelerator ;)

17. rubjonny

Got off my bottom and checked the haynes, arn't I good to you :lol:

2 Idle speed - adjustment 4
    1 Run the engine to normal operating temperature, then check that all electrical components are switched off. Note that the electric cooling fan must not be running
    during the adjustment procedure.
    2 Disconnect the crankcase ventilation hose
    (see illustration).
    3 Connect a tachometer and an exhaust gas analyser to the engine.
    4 If the injector pipes have been removed and refitted just prior to adjustment, run the engine to 3000 rpm several times then allow it to idle for at least two minutes.
    5 Check that when the ignition is switched on, the idling stabilisation control valve is heard to buzz. If not, check the system with reference to Section 3.
    6 Disconnect the wiring plug for the idle stabilisation system. This is located near the ignition coil (see illustration).
    7 Allow the engine to idle, then check that the idle speed is 1000 50 rpm. If necessary, remove the cap and turn the idle speed adjustment screw as required (see illustration).

[​IMG]

8 Check that the mixture (CO reading) is asspecified. Temporarily block off the exhausttailpipe not fitted with the analyser probewhile making the check. If necessary, turn themixture screw as required after removing itscap. A special key is necessary in order toturn the screw but a suitable tool may be usedas an alternative. Note that the screw mustnot be depressed or lifted and that the enginemust not be revved with the tool in position.
    9 Refit the crankcase ventilation hose. If theCO reading increases, the engine oil is dilutedwith fuel and should be renewed.Alternatively, if an oil change is not due, a longfast drive will reduce the amount of fuel in theoil.
    10 Reconnect the wiring plug and remove thetest instruments. Note that after reconnectingthe wiring plug, the stabilisation system willreturn the idling to the specified speed.

18. rubjonny

Oh ffs, you do like to waste my time eh :lol: How about this then:

[​IMG]

3 Idle speed stabilisation system - testing 3
    1 Check that the stabilisation control valve buzzes when the ignition is switched on. If not, use an ohmmeter to check the valve continuity after pulling off the connector (see illustration).
    2 Similarly, check the system temperature sender resistance at the following temperatures (see illustration):
    a) At 20C - approximately 1000 ohms
    b) At 60C - approximately 250 ohms
    c) At 100C - approximately 75 ohms
    3 If the system fault cannot be traced using the previous test then check all associated wiring. If necessary, renew the control unit which is located behind the centre console.
    4 The operations of the control valve may be checked by connecting a multi-meter to it. With a tachometer connected, run the engine (hot) at idle speed and note the control current. Now pinch the hose shown (see illustration) and check that the current rises. Release the hose, increase the engine speed to 1300 rpm and actuate the throttle valve switch. The control current should drop below 430 mA. With the wiring disconnected as described in paragraph 6, Section 2, the control current should be constant between 415 and 445 mA.

19. Mark16v Forum Member

You're so kind [:D]

Only problem is my ISV doesn't always run so I've tried this method about 2 times with no luck. Can't even try GVK's guide since the ISV is supect (or at least the control module is anyways)

20. rubjonny

Hmm I'd start trawling the scrappys if I were you, the controll module is behind the centre console in case you didn't know :)

I'd check the fusebox for water damage and/or loose plugs too. Then start tracing the wiring from the ISV as far as you can!

When the ISV stops buzzing have you checked for voltage at the plug?