Driveshaft lengths (bare driveshaft lengths) ** wanted **

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RobT, Feb 2, 2008.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

These are what **I THINK** are cabriolet/scirroco shafts
    DSC_1192.jpg
    DSC_1184.jpg
    DSC_1186.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2022
  3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

432mm would appear to be Mk2 Golf nearside

647mm - no matches [:s]

4. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I've got some bare lupo shafts i'll measure tomorrow if I get chance

5. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

They fit perfectly in a mk1 with 100mm inners and the outers that were on them but go tight when hub nut fully torqued due to outer rubbing on inner hub face.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you need to clearance your MK1 hubs or the outer c/vs, this is a known issue fitting 100mm shaft outer c/vs to earlier MK1 hubs :)

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Scirocco / Golf Cabrio nearside shaft updated above as 433mm (original in list was 430).

Vento Mike measured at 432, I checked mine at 433.

8. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Lupo Gti....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rubjonny

quick question rob, which MK3 GTI did you measure, 8v or 16v? Reason i ask is the right hand driveshaft is a different length due to the 16v having an 02a box. Also the right hand ABF shaft differs from the VR6 shaft it would seem from ETKA.

left hand MK3 GTI 8v/16v/VR6 is the same however, and Corrado VR6 shafts are the same as MK3 VR6.

edit: what i really want to know is how long the 4 stud 1.8 shafts are, as I want to go wide track with 4 stud MK3 parts. 1.8 seems to be the only suitable donor for shafts, but if the lengths are the same as 5 stud GTi 8v I can buy a set of these and fit my box of new C/Vs to it to convert it to a 4 stud one.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  10. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

Hi all, Managed to measure some driveshafts today.:)

These are definitely the correct measurements and are confirmed to be KR and corrado VR6 parts, as I have just stripped them down.

All measurements are end to end of bare drive shafts.

1990 Mk2 Gti 16V

Long shaft 666mm, short shaft 432mm

1995 Corrado VR6

Long shaft 682mm, short shaft 448mm.

These corrado VR shafts are identical (both length, dia and splines) to a set of MK3, 1.8 (non GTI model) shafts I have on my current 4 stud wide track set up.

It also appears that some of the info on the summary may be wrong and worth re-checking:

ie mk2 golf gti are listed as 447mm and 681.2mm - thats what i have for measured for raddo VR6 sizes.

also raddo VR6 long is listed as 666mm, yet I have measured 682mm

Hope this helps:thumbup:

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Great - really appreciate the updates and thanks for bringing up the Mk2/VR mismatch.

I'll update the latest.

12. rubjonny

thats really awesome info, i want to go widetrack on my mk2 and didnt think 5 stud shafts would work, but since they do all i need to do is swap my cvs over :thumbup:

with the VR6 long shaft, is there anything else special about it say, slightly different placign ofthe damper vs std 5 stud shaft? reason I ask is ETKAS shows it has a different part number to normal 5 stud, but theres nothing else i can see which would explain this

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Right, that's all updated / tidied.

Now that this thread appears to be settling down, I've added 'traffic light' colours to show how certain / uncertain we are about the lengths quoted.

The thread could do with an end-to-end rake to check for the strength of evidence, so if you see anything odd, flag it :thumbup:

14. rubjonny

short shaft on corrado g60/16v is identical to mk2 16v btw, long shaft may be different as MK2/corrado/SEAT Ibiza with hydo box and narrow track have a different part number. be nice to have length of this confirmed

edit: chris didnt the post above mine suggest that MK3 4 stud widetrack shafts were the same length as the VR6 ones?

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks - that's updated. Just playing it safe until things are confirmed!

16. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

Hi Chris,

Golf 2 GTI is still showing the wrong lengths (in red) unless this is 8v lengths??

To confirm Golf GTI MK2 16V lengths are defo 100% 432/666.

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yeah, sorry it's under a 'Haynes' heading where I'm trying to draw attention to Haynes being wrong (red). The green numbers at the start of the Mk2 section are yours.

Perhaps I should scrub that out, with just a warning to ignore Haynes, if it looks ambiguous now?

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Updated again - any clearer?

19. danster Forum Addict

I have a pair of 95 passat 4 stud shafts I can measure that came off a TDI with O2A box.

If the 020 & 02A boxes have differing widths between the drive flanges there needs to be another shaft for the mk3 gti listed depending on weather it is 020 8v or 02A 16v.
    I have both of these too so can measure when I get a chance.

Measuring from end to end gives a good guide to shaft length but is not entirely accurate as some shafts have the outer cv circlip groove position varying by a few mm and there are also slightly different plastic cones that fit behind the outer cv.

You can swap 100mm inner cvs with 90mm ones if you leave off the shim washer. This leaves enough of a groove for the circlip to be fitted.

I spent a long time with this when I wide tracked my Scirocco to mk3 GTI 5 stud hubs.
    No bump steer by the way.;)

20. Rocket MK2 Forum Member

All shafts I measured have the circlip groove in the same position - inner and outer.