Dual Mass Flywheels - replace, upgrade or swap to Single Mass?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by G-Man, Sep 25, 2010.

1. mexicorich Forum Member

DMFs rail beacuse making a flywheel out of rubber is a daft idea lol

2. DGT

DGT Forum Member

yep, and stalling, that nice big bang you get when you stall?

DMFs are generally regarded as a categoric failure within the motor industry, but switching to a SMF could make the car pretty much undriveable.
    Clutch manufacturers are improving the design all the time, apparently.

Ford are introducing an electronic torque limiter to do away with the DMFs as historically theyve had more failures than anyone else

my mums 70k A4 B7 2.0tdi detonated when she was 300 miles from home, the ring gear came off the flywheel and destroyed the inside of the 'box, almost wrecked the starter too by covering it in the grease that the dmf is filled with..900 bill for that one, and that wasnt with the dealer either..
    The dealers are starting to call this a serviceable part i.e wear and tear, ****e! i say, since when was a flywheel a serviceable part?

i run a 2002 a4b6 1.9tdi. i hate the way it rattles when the cars cold and you have to rev the thing to get moving or it stalls.

id say you just have to live with it, dont try a SMF unless you have categorically heard that they work with your car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thats an immense failure!!

4. DGT

DGT Forum Member

she heard an occassional rattle every so often, got to leeds and it wouldnt start (flywheel ringear jammed on starter) the breakdown guy tried to jump start it and nearly went through the winsdcreen. She had her 94 yr old auntie in the car, driving on the motor way. might have turned nasty, Audi UK call this wear and tear..2006 audi a4, 1 owner (shes a good driver), FSH, 70k..not the audis youve learned to trust..saying that, it sounds like most manufacturers made the same f'up.

5. chrisbex123 Forum Member

I work for a company that administor warranty's for a well known 3 letter institution, and these are the latest nightmare.
    Independent engineers reports vary that much, from premature faiure at 80k miles, to end of life at 35k miles...some makes use fluid filled dampers that pop and cover the clutch, or the dreaded fiat 1910cc motor fitted to saab, vauxhall and fiat that can wear out at 30k.
    It all depends on design of damper etc.. but still seems a rrreeeaallly sheeeei{e idea..
    How can vw go from a caddy tdi carrying 0.5 tonne with SMF, to mk4 golf 110tdi and need a DMF.
    I have a foreigner to do atm and have thought about SMF but for the gsf cost of 225, it seems daft to risk. I just cannot understand the need and engineering differences on such a lowish torque output motor to justify the DMF, but do not want to risk having to take a SMF kit back out due to harshness issues..the gsf kit includes clutch).
    Absolute madness IMO....just my 2pworth[:^(]

6. mexicorich Forum Member

Most road cars had solid flywheels and cushion springs within the friction plate until the turn of the century.......
    I don't recall everyone complaining how harsh their engines/transmissions were......
    Thankgoodness I still have two reliable Kjets with solid flywheels :-)
    as well as my stupid PD130 with
    - recently failed DMF,
    - recently snapped gearbox selectors
    - recently failed electric door locks
    - recently failed aircon sensors requiring the whole dashboard out
    - rubbish suspension from new
    - rant, rant, rant.........

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

no one compained as they knew no better....but once ford started to improve nvh others had to follow to keep their product on the same level.

8. DGT

DGT Forum Member

sorry mate, i dont follow?

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Ford spent alot of time and still do on lowering the Noise Viabration and Harshess levels in the car. the dual mass isolated alot of engine noise and viabrations from the cabin, so this was adpted and phased in for alot of models...

because Ford had started to raise the bar for isolating noise and viabrations others had to do the same, esp premium brands, they couldnt have car that was only "just as quiet" as ford, theirs had to be better, and had to be better than previous models....so they too had to adopt the dual mass fly wheel set up along with improving other areas like engine mounts and sound deadening.. but with out adding extra weight.

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

The clutch slip is only occasionaly so to preserve having to replace the clutch/dmf for now just going to monitor it for now until it reaches a point where it is slipping freqently, but wouldn't be suprised if the clutch is the weakest link rather than DMF.

11. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

if your gentle with it it will keep going.. a good test is parking with the hand brake on hard and then putting the car in 1st and bringing the clutch up slowly, if the revs bog down and the car tries to drive off its ok, if it starts to slip while doing this its getting low,

same test can be done by driving at 30 in 5th or 4th (depening when its just about to come on boost) and then booting it, again if its going to slip it will then.

my old clutch was occationally slippinga smidge, but would be fine doing the hand brake test and driving, it would come and go and only do it every few 1k miles when I was a bit to eager on a gear chnage or twoing the mk2 round and booted it on motorway slip roads... when the clutch was taken out along with the dual mass they were both only 1/2 warn..so would have been fine for awhile longer provided I was gentle

12. G-Man Forum Junkie

Handbrake its fine, i purely think the torque is just too much for the clutch :lol:

Hopefully I can ease another 20-30k out of it without being lazy and boosting too much at lower rev's. But It would be nice to have a set up where I can use the maximum torque and simply drive how I want and not have to worry.

13. DGT

DGT Forum Member

i see what you mean...

along with the solenoid controlled hydro engine mounts too