Duostyling gauges - now fitted (pics)

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Stu, Jun 8, 2006.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying these gauges from Canada as my brother just happens to be out there at the moment and can bring them back for me.

They are an alternative to the usual round VDO gauges, what does anyone think of them?
    I'd prefer VDO's really but have nowhere to mount them in my Mk2 and thought these would be a nice alternative.

Has anyone else used these and do they work ok? I would go for oil temp, pressure and volts as I have no real use for AFR gauge.

I rather like them but my girlfriend says they are too '80's' and look a bit Knight Rider ish... :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

Stu

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  2. madmonkey Forum Addict

As Riley what he thinks of them...:lol:

I certainly wouldn't buy one for a G60.

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Ah... I think I remember reading something about this in Riley's 'I hate my G60' thread or whatever it was called... :p

Did a search and a few other people on here have used them it seems :)

4. muppet9966 Forum Member

Hey, theres nothing wrong with Knightrider - its cool.
    I think the gauges look cool. I wouldn't mind them but I guess they will be expensive.
    Go for it:thumbup:

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Yeah, I like Knight Rider, if only my Golf could talk like those old Renault 25 dashboards... that would complete the effect! :lol:

The site is here is anyone is interested:
    http://www.duostyling.com/frames.html

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

i had the a/f one and slung it after rileys problems, theyre pretty annoying at night

7. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hmm... good point. I should be alright though as my stereo lights up like a Christmas tree which used to bother me but I just got used to it and don't notice it at all now. :lol:

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

id go for a votex console and vdo's ...its proper then

9. pistol pete Forum Member

Stu if you want to keep the stereo in its original place you could fit one of these panels, you can get them from Awesome GTI Store unfortunately you lose the ashtray but they look great and the textured plastic is a great match so it looks factory, definitely recommend having an oil pressure gauge gives you peace of mind when driving

[​IMG]

pete

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Ill post some pics up of my installation using the original audi gauge panel this week too. Not perfect, but fine for my track car.

11. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Heres how i did mine. Only good for one gauge though

[​IMG]

12. Matt G Forum Member

i like them, and was thinking of getting some, how much are they in propper money? what is wrong with them relibility wise? i want to fit them to 8v mk2.

13. Jetta Forum Junkie

I remember Jasper Carrot going on about the one in an austin allegro,

yo get in it askes you to close the door, then says pleas fasten your seat belt, then tells you you're boot is open :lol:

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

That was the MG Maestro. [:D] Annoyed the **** out of me in my aunt/uncles car when i was a nipper!! Novel for the first time, then head doing. :lol:

15. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Pete - that does look good, do you have one? It would be a shame to loose the ashtray but I don't smoke anyway so definitely worth considering. :)

The reason I didn't want to fit a Votex console or similar was because of the A/C bits in the heater box, I didn't want to disturb anything behind there as it all works at the moment!

Deako - did you use the panel from an Audi 80 Sport then? Where did you fasten it to?

Any more pics of alternative gauge mounting positions without loosing the radio slot? :)

16. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

They are $50 (27) each or $120 (65) for a set of three, plus shipping which is $21 in the US and Canada. Not sure what the shipping to the UK would cost and you would incur customs charges too on top of that so could work out pretty expensive.
    If you place an order enquiry on the site the guy will email you with details of shipping costs before you confirm the order, he seems very helpful. :)

17. pistol pete Forum Member

Yeah I've got them fitted stu with some VDO's from an Audi 80 / Coupe looks really good [:$] there not the best position for quick glances (the Zender panel which replaces the radio is best for that) but I find the position fine for me, you also lose the ciggy lighter which is a bit of a pain but you can reposition it on the side of the console easy enough, the panel is about 25 and you should be able to get some VDO's for around 40 you'll need a pressure sender (you might get lucky and get these included with the gauges) and a sump plug sender (got mine form big boys toys for about 15 IIRC) so about 80 - 90 all in

Pete

18. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yup, i hollowed out the lower section of the center console, slid the gauges in and screwed it to the sides of the center console. I broke my DIN gauge panel accidentally (split in half) and couldnt be bothered to buy another and also fabricate some u brackets, so made use of the Audi 80 panel.

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Voltage Gauge works very well, have mine reading voltage at the fuel pumps which is the most important bit! I use the AFR guage with a line out from my Zeitronics controller, works well. The G60 narrowband signal is critical for the ECU to function properly, the AFR gauge probably pushed it over the edge.

20. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Thanks for all the replies, I finally ordered the Duostyling gauges yesterday, will post up pics when I get them in a few weeks, think they'll look good!

Now I just need to get hold of an oil pressure sender, anyone got one to get rid of? Oh, and work on the talking dash install... :p