Duostyling gauges - now fitted (pics)

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Stu, Jun 8, 2006.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Got the gauges all the way from Canada now and fitted them in the car, look really good. I will take a pic and post it up.

I only have the voltage one working at the moment, the others (oil pressure and temp) are powered up but I need to connect the sender for the temp one and get hold of a suitable twin pole sender for the pressure one, I've already run the wiring to the engine bay so the tricky bit is done.

I must try driving the car at night to see if they distract me now, looks like KIT2000 in there now! :lol:

2. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Pics, note oil temp and pressure not connected when photo taken so reading max...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interestingly since that pic I've hooked up the oil temp one to the same sender as the MFA oil temp usually connects to and the new gauge reads about 15 - 20 degrees lower than the MFA by the looks of it! I'm inclined to believe the new gauge as I think the MFA has been a bit dodgy of late where oil temp is concerned... perhaps that large Mocal oil cooler wasn't required after all... :p

3. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Very nice!

All you need to do now is sort out that stereo and its a minter!;) [:D]

4. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    i`ve had a few ebay sales of late and had upwards of 100 pounds in the kitty - so guess what i`ve gone and done!!!!!

duostyling cymru style!!!!

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

What's wrong with the stereo, it works a treat... not the most visually appealling though maybe....? [:$] :p

If anyone else orders any Duostyling gauges tell the guy who emails you about your order that I recommended them, he might send me a freebie or something! :thumbup:

I think I need to earth my gauge connections better as the oil temp one was fluctuating a bit today with load on the alternator, like operating electric windows, putting radio on etc. I earthed them all to an earth stud near the bonnet release pull by the fuse box, thought that would be ok? Might have a loose connection I suppose, it was a bit hot the other day and I was rushing to get finished. [:$]

6. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

got them today 6 days from canada:clap: no import tax:thumbup:

stu did you use the audi vdo sender for the oil pressure or does the stock one work?

edit - just checked etka and i will have to source a vdo sender

7. G60. Forum Member

munchulike do you have any pics of the gauges at night?

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Mine look good at night, here's a pic...

[​IMG]

Oh, hang on, that's Knightrider's dash... [:$] :p

I'll take a pic later if I remember :)

9. G60. Forum Member

lol!

10. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

i got me camera in the car, i`m going out later so i`ll take a few pics and a vid of my set up.

11. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I still need to find a 0 - 5 bar oil pressure sender from somewhere at a reasonable price to get my pressure gauge going. Any ideas? Doesn't have to be twin pole, single would do if any other cars have those I could buy new/look out for at a scrappy? :)

12. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

what do astra gtes have? - i have asked on the astra mk2 forum for thread type and spec for you!

link to thread

EDIT - M14 thread! no good

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  13. G60. Forum Member

try bigboyztoyz for the pressure sender

14. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Good idea, shame they are different thread. I wonder about old Beemers? I will do some research.

G60 - I'll give them a try :)

15. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

got a small video here of my duostyles at night - please excuse the poor quality and general nastyness... i dipped the clutch and revved it a few times - you can see the oil pressure going green to orange to red back to green BEST VIEWED IN REAL PLAYER OR VLC

the camera didn`t agree with static night photos, so took some a few minss ago
    [​IMG]

16. G60. Forum Member

cheers munchulike, have you got your replacement temp guage yet?

17. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

the guy at duostyling said they would be in the post by thursday of last week. so i`ll expect it by next weekend!

as soon as it comes i`ll post a pic of the faulty one in many pieces.

18. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I got my twin pole VDO oil pressure sender today, installed it in the front space on the filter housing and swapped the white collared pressure switch into the rear space with the yellow wire to it (removed brown sender altogether). The original blue wire goes to WK' on the new sender, and the gauge to the terminal marked 'G' - it works great!

I get 5 bar+ when cold starting, around 2 - 3 bar at hot idle, increasing to 4 - 5 bar when you rev the engine, all seems well! :)

Still need to get hold of the correct VDO 150 degree oil temp sender for the Duostyling temp gauge as it's currently running off the standard VAG 180 degree one and seems to over-read a bit. [:$]

I was getting some interference on the gauges at higher speeds/rpm's but I think it's 'cos the sender wires ran near the coil and distributor king lead, have moved them now and they seem better but need to test them more thoroughly with a longer run. :)

19. G60. Forum Member

Stu, i thought the standard VAG oil temp sender was 150 degrees?

20. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

it seems the mfa senders are 180 degrees but the one the duostyling guages are calibrated to are 150 degrees.

incidently stu, i had my mfa up to 124 degrees last night and the duostyling guage followed it to a T,